PDA

View Full Version : ...let the countdown begin...

Ken
08-18-2003, 12:59 PM
I just got off the phone with some with the fine folks at Kifaru with some add-on's and clarifacations to my newly ordered 8-man Ultra with a Large stove...I was so excited while ordering I forgot the SST pins and to ask for removeable Mosquito nettings (zippered...thanks again MikeM)! I can't wait to get it set up and sealed!

Gary
08-18-2003, 09:45 PM
Pick a cool, cloudy to do the seal job; or be able to drop a couple of pounds - fast.
It gets pretty warm inside (think sauna) with the sun beating down, while you're sealing.
Gary

Ken
08-19-2003, 09:12 AM
Losing a couple of pounds wouldn't be a bad thing for me! A day or two per side should be plenty to dry the silicone, shouldn't it?

DJ
08-19-2003, 10:03 AM
Opening both doors and the stovepipe port, and setting a fan on one side to create a little cross-ventilation makes it much more bearable.

Patrick
08-20-2003, 04:35 PM
Ken--

Three hours or so will dry the silicone. You can also seal from the outside. Just put a step ladder in the door. Be sure you get the cone; anywhere there's stitching.

Ken
08-21-2003, 06:46 AM
I was planning on setting up and sealing the Tipi on the first Saturday AM that it is in my possesion. This will give it all day to dry(from the silicone and the inevitable drool /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif ) By nightfall I should have the stove fully assembled (I'm all thumbs) and enjoying my first bit of heat from it. I can't wait! When should I start looking for it with my mid August order?...around the second week of October?

Patrick
08-21-2003, 08:34 AM
Ken--

Surely by then, yes. The heat will be welcome, eh!

Ken
08-21-2003, 09:18 AM
Yes it will!!....I've got some big plans for that Tipi! I've just lately gotten into the hunting from a "tent", so the Tipi will just open more doors in that arena. More importantly will be it's implementation into my early spring (Ice-out) Trout fishing adventures. It's funny how my mindset is different in the spring than it is in the fall. In the spring I am more likely to ignor the weather mans' bad forcasts, and venture out, resulting in a cold, wet rear-end (to put it nicely). In the fall I usually use a little more common sense in the trip planning department (after all, it IS getting to be winter out...). In any event, I can forsee myself being spoiled rotten by all of the heat and comfort...and as an added bonus I can stop watching the weather channel all together... Thanks Patrick.

(Now, if I can talk my Girlfriend into a LH 'Rondy
for my Christmas/B'day present.... /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif )

Ken
10-15-2003, 04:57 AM
Well the wait is finally over. My 8-man and my LH Rondy came in yesterday. It was a most impressive B'day shipment. I managed to get the tipi up and seam sealed on the inside and what I could reach of the outside. We had a lot of rain hit last night, and as expected, there were drips and leaks. I'll get the stove in there tonight and dry everything out so that I can turn the tipi inside out and finish the sealing job. I have one question though...does the entire cone have to be sealed? It felt really damp to me this morning.

Patrick
10-15-2003, 05:42 AM
Ken--

No, just everywhere there's stitching. And do a little extra silicone wherever there are bar tacks. Be sure the tipi is pitched--everything needs to be in stretched mode so the silicone can penetrate and seal for real-deal use. Have a grand time, amigo!

Ken
10-15-2003, 06:06 AM
Thank you Sir! Give a round of thanks to everybody there as well. I think I might try to assemble the stove pipe with out the retainer ring as mine wants to spring open without warning. Any advice on this?

Patrick
10-15-2003, 07:31 AM
Ken--

I will pass on your kind remarks to my staff, thank you very much.

The internal "brace" for the stovepipe was invented in case the pipe got "lazy" from many burns--to keep it sealed down near the bottom where the heat is greatest. Reports from everywhere, including from my own experience, show this is not happening. So. Just put the brace aside and start using it if your pipe ever starts to get a poor seal. Probably won't happen, ever. BTW, it's alot easier to install after the pipe has been "burned", and after it, itself, has been burned. Got it?

Ken
10-15-2003, 07:54 AM
Patrick-
What are Bar Tacks and where should I be looking for them? BTW I've got 3 tubes of silicone on sofar and it looks like I'll need all of the fourth to finish...Am I overdoing this or is this normal for the first seal?

Patrick
10-15-2003, 08:46 AM
Ken--

Yeah, you're probably overdoing it. But it's kinda like "so what"--the silicone dries to miniscule "weight" anyway.

Bar tacks look rather like railroad beds. You'll find them where we attach stuff like nylon lace, and anywhere there's a stress point. They're about an eighth inch wide and an inch long. Can't miss 'em. Cover them well with the goop and you'll be dry as a bone in that tipi.