PDA

View Full Version : Swapping stays

Cabman
11-20-2011, 04:58 PM
I have a Longhunter pack that I would like to swap the stays out on for the ultralight stays. I purchased this pack last November and do not remember having this option then, but looks like we have it now. I also have a KU 3700 but the stays on it are 24" and the stays on the Longhunter are 26". I was wondering if anyone has done this and did you notice any difference in the performance? The ultralight stays are 3/4" wide and the aluminum stays are 1" wide. The weight savings of 9 ounces is pretty substantial if the performance stays the same. I will be in Denver next week and thought about picking some up if they were in stock. Thanks in advance.

Big W
11-20-2011, 05:05 PM
I run a set of 26" KU stays in my Longhunter and i can't tell any difference. I am sure they flex a little bit more. I had almost 110 pounds in it and it felt just the same when i had aluminium stays. I am lucky because the KU stays fit my back pretty good, you should take the stays out of your 3700 and put them up to your back and see how close they are. The only thing i wouldnt do with KU stays is sit on top of the frame like I used to do with my Longhunter.

mark s
11-20-2011, 09:33 PM
I put the composite stays in my G1 longhunter. I see no change in performance, just lighter. They are 3/4" wide but thicker, so they seem just as tight in the slots as the Al ones. I thing they flex less than the Al ones at least when examining them before putting them in. The only downside that I can see is that you can't bend them to custom fit them to your back shape (if you have a flat back).