PDA

View Full Version : Power pull belt on KU 5200?

John Havard
11-20-2011, 08:21 AM
If I wanted to accept the weight increase of putting a wraptech belt with powerpulls onto my KU 5200 which belt(s) would work?

Has anyone done this?

John

Cabman
11-20-2011, 08:47 AM
I was wondering if the belt that comes with it could be made into a powerpull? I have the 3700 with the upgraded belt, but sure miss the powerpull that I have on my Longhunter.

Big W
11-20-2011, 08:50 AM
Long as the waist belt you are putting on has the stay slot pockets on it (wraptech) you should be fine. You could also just add power pulls to the KU5200 belt, easily done.

Ralph
11-20-2011, 08:52 AM
Adding Power Pull loops to any belt usig the standard S-R buckle is very simple. All you need are 2 2" loops and a couple of short lengths of 2" webbing. (The second loop on each side is only used for piggy-backing.) A household machine with a heavy-duty (#16) needle can do the sewing.

If you dont have anyone else to do the sewing I can do it. $6 should cover the materials and return postage. You'd have to mail your belt to me - I can get it done and in the mail back to you the next day.

I always have black and olive #69 nylon thread, black and OD webbing and black and coyote loops. If enough folks are interested I can get some FG loops, coyote and FG webbing and coyote thread.

I'm not thinking about a business as such but there seems to be a need for some modifications and some small specialty pouches and, truth is, I can use a few extra bucks so, I'm availble.

John Havard
11-20-2011, 08:54 AM
Ralph, please check your pm's.

John

Big W
11-20-2011, 08:56 AM
That would be cool Ralph, we need someone around here that can do that kind of stuff. I will contact you soon about some things I have been thinking of having done.

alaskalanche
11-20-2011, 10:34 AM
A power pull belt on the KU would certainly be a great addition to the KU 5200 IMO. Would be worth the additional weight indeed IMO.

Wanderlustr
11-20-2011, 03:24 PM
I totally agree - power pull would be nice. I was packing a heavy load out 5 miles in the rain this past season with slick wet clothes and I was thinking of rigging up a tie-down ratchet from my truck onto the waist belt - a power pull on steroids.

Tim in Washington
11-20-2011, 04:21 PM
I'd like that too,PM me if you are interested
Tim

davesuvak
11-21-2011, 12:02 PM
FYI, I recently ordered a small duplex hunting waist belt for my Longhunter and the belt had stay pockets sewn on the back which I assume are for the Timberline packs. I haven't tried it on my KU 3700 but I see no reason why it wouldn't fit. So it appears you're not limited to Wraptech belts if you want power pull for a KU pack.

Sounds like Ralph is offering a needed service. I have some projects I'll be sending his way.

Ralph
11-22-2011, 02:21 PM

Here are some pcs, back and front, of the saw pouch. It's long (24") and skinny (2.5") so the pic I took of the whole thing looks like an almost invisible toothpick. The pouch is empty (I don't have that particular saw).

Chad R
11-22-2011, 08:47 PM
I have rigged power pulls on several Kifaru packs by simply sliding a plastic buckle over the accessory strap as shown in the photo below. It has worked well, although the UL belts are not cut as long as the G2 belts that have power pulls built-in.

Cabman
11-23-2011, 05:54 AM
Excellent idea!

wolfmen
11-23-2011, 06:37 AM
Excellent idea chad R . Thx for share

Ralph
11-25-2011, 08:15 AM
I just finished John Havards belt and it turned out well. However, I had forgotten these belts have stiffeners and have to be shipped in a box and tha increases the shipping costs considerably. The webbing on these belts is also rather short so I had to splice a longer piece on each side.

What you have to do is cut the existing webbing to a stub about 3" long then splice an 18" piece on each side (fuse all cut ends with a lighter). This includes a loop of webbing holding one or two 2" looplocs (you only need one for the PowerPull, the second is used for piggybacking. If you want to be Kifaru-compatible use 2, if you don't care, use 1.) I triple straight stitch the splice, then run a wide bartack to hold down the raw ends with #69 nylon thread so the belt isn't likely to come apart even under very heavy use.

Materials needed are a yard of 2" webbing of the right color, 2 or 4 2" LoopLocs of the right color and #69 nylon thread. A good household machine will be adequate to do the sewing. If you have to ship this belt figure $11 for the medium Priority Mail Flatrate (each way). I can do this project for $25 that includes materials and return shipping. Turnaround is a day or so from the time I get the belt. (I ran out of 2" webbing and ordered more so for the next week or two turnaround may be longer pending arrival of materials.)

John Havard
11-29-2011, 05:09 PM
I received the belt back from Ralph yesterday with the new power pull system he installed and it's the cat's ass.

davesuvak
11-29-2011, 06:17 PM
I think some pictures are in order.

Ralph
12-05-2011, 07:38 PM
I just finished another belt, so here is a picture of the project. He wanted a single loop, rather than the double loop Kifaru uses. One loop or two can be installed if you want the option to piggyback, though I'm not sure whether piggybacking is recommended with the lighter packs. The additional length of belt is spliced uing an inline stitch with a bartack on each end (shown on the right side). A bartack with #69 thread is good for at least a couple hundred pounds.

Tim in Washington
12-19-2011, 05:17 PM
I just got my K U belt back from Ralph,he did an excellent job installing a power pull
Thanks Ralph
Tim

Ermine
12-19-2011, 05:48 PM
I have rigged power pulls on several Kifaru packs by simply sliding a plastic buckle over the accessory strap as shown in the photo below. It has worked well, although the UL belts are not cut as long as the G2 belts that have power pulls built-in.

yep this is the way I would do it. Simple and easy to achomplish

Mattb
12-19-2011, 11:51 PM
FYI - I ran a plastic buckle over the accessory strap as shown above, and there is only about a fist's width of belt available to grip.

Ermine
12-20-2011, 02:24 PM
FYI - I ran a plastic buckle over the accessory strap as shown above, and there is only about a fist's width of belt available to grip.

Yea mine was the same way. But enough to grab on to and pull! Got the job done on mine

Ralph
12-20-2011, 04:20 PM
Most Kifaru straps are generous to a fault, but the KU series are on the scant size. When doing the PowerPull addition I cut off about 10" and splice an additional 18" to the belt webbing on both sides to give more grab space and a bit more adjustment to allow for extra clothing.

NOTE: one of the belts I did experienced a pulled edge. I fuse the ends with a lighter but sometimes don't get a full bead that prevents this. Any new belts I do will have the bartack on the end to finish off the splice but will also have the "real" bartack a touch inboard to take strain off the finished end. A bartack with #69 thread is usually good for 100+ lbs before parting so that should be good. Anyone doing this themselves should follow this procedure.