PDA

View Full Version : Ku Packs & Elk Quarters

Rizzy
11-12-2011, 11:01 PM
Anyone use a 3700 or 5200 for Hauling Elk Quarters this year? How did it work? Any Pics?

I am really leaning towards a KU3700 for next season and would like to hear feedback on how that size worked for Elk Hunting this year.

Sawtooth
11-14-2011, 12:23 PM
I have a 3700, and it's gone meatless so far this year. However, I personally would not carry an elk, deer, antelope, or any quarter for that matter. I would bone it out. Just my .02 worth! :)

huntinrod
11-14-2011, 01:14 PM
i just got back from Colorado..San Juan NF to be exact and shot a 5x4 elk.....boned him and quartered him. Me and three hunting partners packed him out 7.5 hrs....just meat in the pack (no bone) and it worked well.....i have the ku5200

DEW
11-14-2011, 02:01 PM
I packed out parts of 2 different bulls boned out in my ku3700 with upgraded belt, I used the kifaru meat bag and it worked great..DEW

Rizzy
11-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Thanks for the feedback

I like the stability that the bone gives the meat, however I have always used pillow cases and Alaska game bags. I can already tell that the meat bag is the way to go and solves this issue. I will probably start filleting out the Elk more on future hunts when time permits. Sometimes I just want to get the meat off the mountain fast and find it easier to do that with quarters in some situations (mostly downhill:D).

How many meat bags does it take for an Elk?

All my gear except sleeping bag, food, and water fits in a large pod so I think a 3700 will fit my needs with a little room to grow. I just don't want to be on the mountain trying to stuff an Elk quarter and my gear in a 3700 wishing I had a 5200 while a storm is dropping.

DEW
11-14-2011, 10:52 PM
Rizzy I usually pack 5 light weight (not the cheap ones) game bags, 1 of the new kifaru meat bags and a few heavy weight garbage bags. All of my day hunt stuff fits in a ku e&e. I dont plan to pack in camp and pack out camp and an animal in one trip although with a pod I could get out a small load of meat and camp. I like the vesatility of the 3700 with all the add ons. It will pack more weight than I care to carry. I went through the same questions as you and am happy with my choice, if you do alot of winter camping then you might consider the 5200 for the bulkier gear. Hope this helps... Duane

Rizzy
11-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Good point Duane, thanx