PDA

View Full Version : Why the different width for webbing on the front and rear of the KU Koala?

sab
11-04-2011, 01:50 PM
I just acquired a third-hand KU Koala (thanks, Brums!), and I'm confused about the PALS-like webbing strips on the front and rear of the pack. The front webbing is sewn down every 1-1/8" or so, while the rear webbing is sewn down every 1-1/2" or so. Anyone know why?

Thanks,
Scott

Ralph
11-04-2011, 02:28 PM
The standard PALS layout is 1" between rows with 1.5" columns. Any variation from that and you will have trouble inserting the MOLLE connecters.

sab
11-04-2011, 04:12 PM
The standard PALS layout is 1" between rows with 1.5" columns. Any variation from that and you will have trouble inserting the MOLLE connecters.

Thanks, Ralph. I was aware of that already. Patrick went to 3/4" webbing for the webbing on the KU line to save weight, which makes the system proprietary and incompatible with MOLLE pouches by design. However, I'm baffled because the column width on the front is different from the column width on the rear. I expected them to be the same. Anyone know the difference? I'd call Angie, but I think Kifaru is closed on Fridays, and I'm impatient. If I don't have it figured out by Monday, I'll call Angie then.

Thanks,
Scott

Mel
11-04-2011, 04:44 PM
Hey Scott,

I can answer that one for you. The 3/4" webbing on the front is sewn down with 1 1/8" channels so you can attach the KU pockets with the 3/4" 3-bar sliders securely without having them slide out. The 3/4" webbing on the back of the Koala is sewn down with the standard 1 1/2" channels to be able to use Malice clips or any other MOLLE attachment system to attach the Koala to a chest rig, plate carrier, or pack. Also, using the 3/4" webbing is not a proprietary design, as with the proper spacing (horizontally and vertically), you can use any type of MOLLE attachment system. Hope this helps.

Mel

sab
11-04-2011, 07:30 PM
Mel:

Thanks for the explanation - it helps! What I meant by "proprietary" was really the 1-1/8" spacing of the columns (on the front of the pack). As Ralph emphasized, that is not MOLLE compatible, correct?

Regards,
Scott

Mel
11-04-2011, 11:17 PM
Scott,

You can still run Malice clips through the 1 1/8" columns.

Mel

Ralph
11-05-2011, 04:50 AM
The Maxpedition TacTies are 3/4" wide and would also fit BUT that would only work for single connecter narrow pouches. The real problem is that with wider pockets using two connecters the slots and connecters won't align.

sab
11-05-2011, 07:51 AM
The real problem is that with wider pockets using two connecters the slots and connecters won't align.

Bingo! That is why I called it proprietary. In practice, it may not be a big problem, though, since the 1-1/2" columns are generously wide. I'll have to experiment some...

Scott