PDA

View Full Version : Euro-Rondy: who can make it?

BuckarooMedic
10-25-2011, 01:21 AM
OK, there seems to be quite a bit of interest in a Kifaru Euro-Rondy. Patrick Smith has even shown interest is attending. He'll be in Europe June 2012. So that would be the natural time to have it. His dates, and by default, our dates are not yet firm.

For those of you who don't know; camping out in the woods (like in the States) is illegal here in Germany (and most of the other European countries for that matter too). We will have to either stay at an established camp ground (which will probably cost us around 100-300 Euros for a weekend with a big group) or on private land. If anyone has/knows of any private land we could stay on, please let me know.

Here is the question: Who wants to attend the first ever Kifaru Euro-Rondy sometime in June 2012?

Please respond to this thread so I can keep a running count.

Thanx!

modustollens
10-25-2011, 08:48 AM
I am game. However the school I work for is very disorganized and I barely know my schedule from day to day let alone months in advance. But as soon as I know my dates I will keep you updated.

MT

gebuesch1
10-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Already looking for possible locations....

disillusionedpatriot
10-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Hmmm...most likely not attending. Any locations where there's volleyball and beaches? If it's just setting up a tent in some random campground like I've seen photos of in Europe, might as well be a happening place.

http://www.artoftravel.com/images/campground.jpg

gebuesch1
10-27-2011, 02:24 PM
....campground like I've seen photos of in Europe, ...[/IMG]

We are NOT looking for something like that!

BuckarooMedic
10-28-2011, 01:29 AM
Concur, although those types of camp grounds are very common in the late summer when everyone in Europe is on holiday. That's why we're thinking about June . . .

fish
11-02-2011, 03:15 AM
My wife has some land in Austria, about two hours from Vienna near a town Mariazell, right on this lake, however it's yards from homes...

It's far less remote than the Colorado crew is used to. I can ask around in Austria sounds interesting to see if other options are available.

BuckarooMedic
11-03-2011, 03:26 AM
Fish - please do ask around. The more options we have, the better.

Thanx!

gebuesch1
12-15-2011, 02:03 PM
I was looking for some suitable places and "found" a small camp ground which is located close to the A3 Autobahn between Frankfurt and Wuerzburg (Spessart) which means that it is pretty close to the Rhein-Main-K-Town area and to Schweinfurt as well (assuming that most people interested except for a few "real" Europeans are in Europe with the US Armed Forces). The camp ground has to be rented from the local forest administration at a small fee. There are a small wooden shed, a small spring, a fire place and an outhouse. A friend lives right in the next village and took some pictures of the camp ground as I have never been there. What do you think about that location (B on the Google Maps link:http://maps.google.de/maps?saddr=Waldaschaff&daddr=Unbekannte+Stra%C3%9Fe&hl=de&ie=UTF8&ll=49.979488,9.375286&spn=0.056519,0.169086&sll=49.979819,9.349666&sspn=0.01413,0.042272&geocode=FVmQ-gIdWt-NACkt1WC3d0q9RzGWCT7dhj7Zig%3BFXyf-gId7J2OAA&vpsrc=6&mra=dme&mrsp=1&sz=15&t=h&z=13)?

larryschwartz
12-15-2011, 03:45 PM
I was stationed in Aschaffensburg, just to the west of the campground, back in the 80's. There is a castle there, Schloss Johanisburg, that is a nice place to visit. You could still see the holes in the castle walls where tanks from one of Patton's armored divisions sat on the hills overlooking the city and shelled the castle with indirect fire. There are also some old concrete bunkers from WWII in the forests to the east of the city. We stumbled on them while patrolling in the woods during training.

gebuesch1
12-23-2011, 11:59 AM
No one interested or just no opinions?

gebuesch1
03-06-2012, 12:31 PM
No one interested or just no opinions?

Just to mention the topic again.