PDA

View Full Version : Leupold Wind River Spotter 15-45X ?

LED
07-31-2003, 09:02 PM
Any one have any input on this spotter? On sale at Natchez Shooters Supply. - Thanks

Yukon Hunter
08-03-2003, 07:29 AM
Led-
I don't think anyone here is ignoring you- it just seems no one has any info for you on these.
The Burris product is certainly a great deal- unfortunately, I'm a huge believer in "you get what you pay for". The Wind River might be okay- I know their 12-40 is supposedly great. The Nikon Spotter at Natchez is also a good scope, but I put it up against a Minox at our local retailer, and it came up short. Here's my theory on spotting scopes/ bino's- try them out, and whatever seems to be the clearest, well-constructed ones for the best price, buy them. As an example, I'm buying a pair of Pentax 8x40 PCF WP's- the optics are crystal clear, they're relatively light, and they are a tenth the cost of the Swarovski's I compared them to, without giving up much in optical quality.

LED
08-03-2003, 08:55 PM
Thanks Yukon Hunter - I may just try the Burris Compact, for the price (@ $75 alone Midsouth ),wieght & compactness - it's worth a try. I'm kind of rough on equipment (I don't mean to be!)so price may be trade off for some quality (hate to drop an expensive scope on the rocks,etc.) and looking at improving, paring down my backpacking hunting gear. The Accurate Rifle mag. had an article on it that was positive, so I'll try it and let the forum know how it goes in case any one else is interested. Wish I could try one out first!

Yukon Hunter
08-04-2003, 07:02 AM
Led-
Hey, it's worth a try.
This past weekend, my partner and I went caribou hunting. I haven't purchased those Pentax yet, so I was using an old pair of B&L Legacy 10x25's, while he was using a pair of Nikon Monarchs. He spotted a Caribou I was positive was a stump. We're now eating said stump.

jdb3
08-04-2003, 07:25 AM
Yukon, I own a pair of the Pentax you are looking at and I can recommend them. They are wonderful and are much better for prolonged spotting than the light weight Leica's I have. The added weight makes them much more comfortable. Enjoy them. Jim

DJ
08-04-2003, 08:27 AM
Now on my third scope, I found buying one to be a difficult process primarily because of the large leap in price from middle of the road to high quality glass. I really needed to think about the time of day the scope would be used (for me, all levels of daylight), how much time per day (depends upon the topography, species, and way you prefer to hunt), and purpose (to quickly verify the *** and size of a critter versus hours of panning to locate hidden animals). If you spend most of your time scanning the countryside with your binocs and just need the spotter to momentarily zoom in, you could get away with paying less. As you probably know, lower priced scopes won't have the light-gathering capabilities of higher end models and are of little use at sunup and sundown. Also, be forewarned that what comparing scopes in a store doesn't tell you is how big of a headache (literally) it will produce if you try to use it for hour after hour of observation.

I'm hearing that you're on a tight budget, but just be aware of what you may be getting in return for the savings in money. The fact that you have to lug the extra weight around all day makes evaluating its effectiveness all the more important.

pointer
08-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Yukon Hunter- Jump on those Pentax! My wife bought be a pair two weeks ago for my B-day and I can't keep my eyes out of them. Also, now that the new SP's have hit the shelves the prices (at least around here) have dropped considerably.

Garion33
08-05-2003, 08:15 AM
Led2hnt, I have the same spotting scope you are looking at. I've had/used it for two years and don't really like it. It is heavy and leaves a lot to be desired under low light conditions. I didn't feel it was clear except during mid days. In short, don't make the same mistake I did. Save your money and buy a better quality scope.

Take care and good luck.

Dave