PDA

View Full Version : Question for Yukoner

VernAK
07-07-2003, 08:41 AM
Yukon Hunter,
I see that your family got a bison tag and a sheep tag....great!.....I saw a big bull near Otter Falls not long ago....a real dandy....do you guys get a chance to hunt that growing mule deer herd in your area?

Yukon Hunter
07-07-2003, 09:17 AM
Vern-
Ain't that something- Otter Falls area is where we'll be hunting. His Bison permit is, basically, everything from the mid-point of Aishihik Lake south to the highway. My Caribou permit is north of the Lake. The reason I applied in there is because during last year's Bison hunt, I saw a MONSTROUS rack tacked up on some guy's fence.
Yep- we've got both Whitetails and Mulies here now, and more all the time. No deer hunting allowed in the Yukon yet. I'm okay with that- before coming up here, I lived in Nova Scotia, Manitoba and B.C. I wouldn't mind taking a big gagger of a Mulie, though- still one of the most impressive things to hang on a wall, as far as I'm concerned.

VernAK
07-07-2003, 01:38 PM
Yukoner,
I would have used the lake name but I can't pronounce it let alone spell it.....it was a huge bull that showed no fear....I'm glad he wasn't one of those cantankerous old guys that bash the radiator in.....

Are those woodland caribou in there? The 40 Mile caribou crossed into YT by Dawson last winter. Did you get a chance at those? Three years ago, I was hunting in the 40 Mile area and had filled my caribou tag when I saw a herd of 50+ head. There were 4-5 nice bulls but one was huge ....twice the body size of the nice bulls...body appeared to be as big as a large bull elk...antler beams as big as my wrist, darker body with a long white mane.....the finest trophy animal that I have ever seen in the bush...by far....do you suppose there were some woodland caribou genes in there?....I still have nighmares over that one....

At times, one of your deer wanders over here to AK....two years ago, I saw a medium mule deer buck by Tok and we have had a couple wander through the farm area...never in my life time will there be enough to hunt in this area but YT must be getting close to allowing a limited hunt as I see quite a few in the Southern Lakes area.

Enjoy your hunt and llet uo know how you do?

Vern
Delta Junction, Alaksa

Yukon Hunter
07-07-2003, 03:21 PM
Thanks, Vern-
It's pronounce AY' she AK. The "sh" part is actually more like the G in luge.
Not sure whether the 40 mile herd is Woodland or not. Apparently, they are making an awesome recovery. The fellas I'm after are Woodland- different flavor from the Barren Ground- must be the different grub they eat.
Best of luck this year to you, as well.