PDA

View Full Version : Patrick,Re:: Lightening Remington 600

Bruce
07-01-2003, 02:21 PM
Hi Patrick, I was wondering if you had made a list of "stuff" to do to lighten a Remington 600 yet.Thanks in advance. Bruce

drwarner
07-03-2003, 07:00 AM
Patrick, I have a patient who bought his son a Remington 600 (sorry, do not know the cal.), and wants to know if you can put an adjustable trigger on it--e.g. Jewel[sic]. Thanks, Warner

Patrick
07-03-2003, 01:54 PM
Bruce--

Well, there's the stock stuff we talked about before. And the fluting of the barrel we discussed. You can mill away a good half of the receiver thickness from the cartridge port back (DO NOT REMOVE ANY METAL FROM THERE FORWARD.) It's getting minor, but you can fetch an aluminum bolt shroud, and a Titanium firing pin. Keep the plastic trigger guard--you'll not find anything lighter. Of course, mill the bolt handle out from the back. I have a 600 that we "flattened" the handle on and then drilled a big hole in what was left of the bulb on the end. Yeah, I can get pretty ruthless in pursuit of weight savings. Off the top, try all this stuff and you'll have an anorexic little 600. And don't you just love that "dog leg" bolt handle? The gun writers of the day whined about that "ugly" thing. I think it's lovely...I miss it now I'm toting a modified Model 7 Rambler.

Patrick
07-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Hi Doc--

He'll be fine having a local gunsmith install an aftermarket trigger. It's done all the time. After all, y'all live in TEXAS for heaven's sake. I've attended a gunshow or three down there. HUGE affairs. A gunny place. My kind of place, frankly.

Forster
12-20-2005, 11:30 AM
I dug this post up because I just purchased a Remington 600 in .308. I didn't plan to buy one, but the price was right and I sort of got woowed by that lightweight little thing when it came into my local gun store. I'm interested in lightening things up, but I want to figure the cost of each step before going crazy with it, so I have a couple questions for all you 600 fans. (1) I'm told by Talley that their 2 piece ultralite bases for the model 7 will fit the 600 if a second hole is drilled in the rear, yet I'm not sure it is a good idea with the limited amount of metal back there. I also noticed that Patrick never went to a 2 piece base in all his efforts to lighten the 600. Any opinions? (2)I like the idea of a new trigger, safety, firing pin & spring, and while I am at it, I might as well save some weight, so what are the lightest aftermarket options for all of these? (3) Will an aftermarket aluminum shroud for the model 7 work and is it any lighter than the tiny steel one that is on there? (4) Is there a simple solution to the anoying way the bolt only releases by shoving a small allen wrench down next to the bolt? (5) I plan to remove material from the stock? Any suggestions besides just looking at Patrick's rambling rifle prototype picture? I like that concept but will not be going so far as to make swiss cheese out of the wood that remains. I considered buying the cheap ram line stock for the 600 and then cutting off everything in front of where my hand grasps the forearm, but I'm not sure that would be any lighter than the same treatment to the wood stock. (6) Has anyone seen any titanium bolts or screws that could substitute for the heavy steel action screws? Or are there any other easy ways to take some weight out of the magazine, follower, or wherever?
Thanks for any input.

PeteE
12-20-2005, 12:08 PM
Forster,

I added a Rifle Basix trigger, Aluminum Bolt shroud and lightweight firing pin. For Rings and bases I used S&K (They make a set for the 600) I had an additional hole drilled for the rear mount as I was concerned that the "one" hole would not be strong enough for a two piece set. I also added a Bansner stock for the 600 and used one of his Aluminum trigger gaurds. I did not do any other modification to the action for weight reduction. I added a Lilja number 1 at 20" (.308) with a Leupie 4x. Total weight is just under 6lbs.

Forster
12-21-2005, 05:46 AM
It appears that Rifle Basix no longer makes a trigger for the 600. Midway does cary a timney trigger assembly with a nice safety for the 600 but it is all steel. Does anyone know where I can find a trigger and safety for the 600 with an aluminum housing or is there just no weight saving there anyway. I am also looking for an aluminum shroud and lightweigt speedlock firing pin.

9.3x62
12-21-2005, 09:45 AM
All the 600 triggers I have seen have been excellent, no need to change. I have 3 which I have modified or as my hunter partner says butchered, to the Kifaru style. A fiberglass stock went from 24 oz. to 18 although that includes a shorter lop and probably lighter pad. 2 factory wood stocks went from 32-36 oz. to 21-22 oz. 1 with straight grip. Rem. 600 bolts weigh 10 oz. vs 13-14 for Rem. 700 SA. Rem. 700 barrels fit to a 600 but the barrel is 180 degrees out of rotation which is a factor for iron sights and typing on the barrel otherwise there is a lot of aftermarket barrels ie. Mtn. Rifle or Ti barrels, often new, available.

rost495
12-21-2005, 10:29 AM
One thing I'll go out on a limb and say is that the titanium firing pin is a bad idea. On the off chance that you ever pierce a primer(can be a thin cup rather than a hot load) you'll burn the tip off an expensive pin and the gun most likely will not fire after that one round. Keep it factory and it'll continue to fire at least in the field. BTDT on other rifles. Was not happy with a 60 buck titanium "punch"

Jeff

Take-a-knee
12-20-2012, 07:24 PM
Okay, talk about exhuming a thread! It's only nine years old! Anyone have anything to add? I have a 600 Remington I'd like to whittle on. Anyone have any specs/plans that have worked?

Jim N
12-20-2012, 09:21 PM
Would you gain anything over just using the action from a Kimber 84, NULA or Forbes Rifle? You would spend a lot more money working over a 600 but would the weight savings justify the trouble and expense? Be interesting to compare the relative weights of a modified 600 or Model 7 and today's trim off-the-shelf rifles.

Take-a-knee
12-20-2012, 09:41 PM
I currently own an eight MOA Kimber MT, so no more of those, and the 600 was a gift. I have thought about the Forbes, but it ain't really "here" yet, as I haven't been able to get my hands on one, and no one I know of has yet even seen one with a SS barrel, which is what I want

PBR
12-21-2012, 11:40 AM
Here's my 600. I kind of went the other way from super-lightening but thought it might be of interest since I installed the 2 piece Talleys which work great and provide much more access that the old 1 piece base I had on it. Still, even with replacing the plastic with metal and the full stock, it tips the scales at 6 lbs 11 oz with sling and scope.

Paul

Take-a-knee
12-21-2012, 12:35 PM
NICE! Where did you get the stock, and the end cap?

PBR
12-21-2012, 06:55 PM
Thanks - it's been a really good rifle over the years. It is light enough and accurate enough that I haven't really looked at any of the new synthetic wonders. The stock was just a block of walnut in the shop and sorry but I can't remember what the end cap came off of. I think it may have come from some left over parts from a muzzleloader, but wouldn't swear to that.

Paul

Jim N
12-21-2012, 08:37 PM
PBR

Nice rifle. Did you have the bolt handle worked over? Does not look like the 600 dog-leg.

PBR
12-21-2012, 09:44 PM
Yes sir, welded on a new bolt handle. Obviously I didn't do a great job - the weld didn't take the bluing the same as the rest of the handle, but its OK. I probably wouldn't do it again but a local gentleman that I have great respect for said that was the thing to do, so it got done. Matter of fact, if I had another 600, I'd probably just thin the factory stock a bit and add the Talley 2-piece bases to it.

Jim N
12-22-2012, 09:18 PM
PBR

I did not mean to criticize - just noticed the handle and was curious. It looks to be a very nice rifle and you are to be congratulated on your work. I have always been a fan of full length stocks but have never owned one - have a laminated blank inletted for a Model 7 sitting in my basement waiting for the right action - not sure what that will be but am thinking 6x47 or something similar.

PBR
12-23-2012, 12:25 PM
No sir, didn't for a moment think you were criticizing - my apologies if that is how it sounded. Was simply trying to point out that I spent a fair bit of time fixing something that didn't need to be fixed.

I don't know anything about a 6x47, but I am right now eating some elk sandwiches that fell to my little 600 in .308...

Paul

elmbow
12-24-2012, 10:09 AM
TAK, this wasn't necessarily a "lightening" job. This is a kinda how I did it "Scout" project, and I like to think it came pretty close to what the Colonel had envisioned. Mine weighs a hair over 6 lbs all set up including its Ching Sling.
I have to admit, it is pretty close to my favorite rifle.

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?t=28149

Take-a-knee
12-24-2012, 02:59 PM
Thanks Elm. I can't believe I missed that thread. I guess that's what work does to a man. That flung a great big ol' cravin' on me. I was thinking "sheep rilfe" after my Kimber Montana dud experience but the COL would look down and think more of me if I emulated your set up there. Not that I NEED another scout, but I guess a man could always use another.

elmbow
12-24-2012, 03:50 PM
My .270 WSM Montana is off getting a new barrel. I've owned two of them, hunting accurate is the term I would use to describe them, but cold bore shots were always too far out for me. I love the overall package, stock design, weight, action type, etc. My new barrel is 26" fluted and I specified exactly 3/4 lb heavier than the original Kimber barrel when done. It should be finished in January. I'm eager to see how it shoots. If he gets the barrel weight right, it will finish out at 8 lbs. I can live with that.