PDA

View Full Version : Give us the dirt

DEW
07-23-2011, 12:34 PM
Now that the packs have been around a bit how about you guys that have some time with them give us some feedback? Im still up in the air on which way Im gonna go but would like to hear your thoughts on your choice of packs and accessories. Tell us what you have? What would you change or do over if you could? Thanks in advance . DEW

Lab-Roamer
07-25-2011, 12:19 PM
If I didn't want the versitility of the G2 MMR frame I would have another UL5200 in a heart beat. Wouldn't mind having a UL bag for the MMR frame. May make one when I get the sewing thing down.

Ed T
07-25-2011, 08:33 PM
Only thing I would change is I wish I had a pair of KU's 10 years ago :)

Biggs300
07-26-2011, 05:53 PM
Don't want to sound too patronizing but, isn't it great that we have so many options to choose from at Kifaru. Sight unseen, and based only on what others have reported, I ordered a Longhunter Standard for an upcoming elk hunt. I've loaded it up and carried it many times now and couldn't be happier with its comfort, load capacity and performance. The accessories aren't too shabby either...the Gunbearer works perfect. That said, I'd bet I would have been equally as happy with a UL 5200. Thanks Patrick!

huntinrod
07-26-2011, 10:10 PM
I just got back tonight from a three day backpack archery deer hunt in Northern Cali with my KU5200. Loved it. Wish I had gotten some pouches but I just used small stuff sacks for possibles I had laying around. The material is scary "wispy" and I was afraid of tears, but I thought WTH and packed it full and threw it in the back of my truck (padding down) and drove 14 hrs to Northern Cali (from Long Beach, CA). I thought for sure when I got there, there would be a small wear hole or two in the fabric. Nothing. Only "Gripe" I had about the pack (and its not the packs fault) is it is hard to load because the material drapes so well it's kind of like loading a large kitchen garbage bag.... But once you get some stuff in it and it starts to take shape, its nice.... Anyway..got to my spot and used it for three days from camp as my DAY PACK!!! Loved it! Cinched all the straps down and threw my flashlight, water, snacks etc in there and it worked as well as any day pack Ive ever used. Material is surprisingly quiet. I humped a huge hill and took off my shirt, wearing only the pack....Got a great breeze between my back and the pack. Long story short...Great pack. Double-duty as a day pack after getting to your camp...LOADS of room...comfy.... TIme will tell on the durability, but so far after one tough hunt, no complaints!

MojoSlim
07-28-2011, 01:28 PM
I noticed that so far, there have been only KU5200 owners respond. If I may ask, what was your reasoning behind purchasing the KU5200 over the KU3700 or 2200? Do you use any pockets/pods with your KU5200s, or do you contain all your gear inside of the pack? One of things I'm wondering is whether you can compress the top down on the KU5200 to resemble the packed size of a KU3700.

@huntinrod, you mentioned you used your KU5200 as a day pack. Do you have any pics in this setup?

Any response is appreciated.

Take-a-knee
07-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Mojo, I've ordered a KU 3700 and I plan to run it with a KU E&E on the back to "live" out of. We'll see how it goes. This will be about 4-500 cubes larger than the ULA Catalyst I'm currently using for hiking but really isn't capable of hauling meat. I'm hoping I'll be satisfied with this setup but I may well decide I need the larger pack also.

MojoSlim
07-28-2011, 04:25 PM
TaK, Thanks for your response. I like the sound of your upcoming set-up. My thoughts at current are to run a KU3700 with either KU Long pockets or a KU E&E (as you mentioned) to add capacity/for day use. Also thinking of throwing a Medium KU Pod in the mix, maybe for a sleeping bag/contain stuff if I need to haul meat in the main pack. At that point it should be at least 4700-5000 cubes.

But, I'm also intrigued by the idea of having a KU5200 and say "screw it to the pockets," containing all of my gear within the main bag, compressing/cinching down for loads below the 5200 cube limit, and still run it for day use (as huntinrod commented he did/does with his KU5200).

Choices, choices.

huntinrod
07-28-2011, 04:46 PM
I dont have any pics of me in the "dayoack setup" but I could take some poser living room shots for you.... As far as my reasoning to go with the 5200 vs the 3700, for the addition of a few ounces I get loads of "extra" room and the pack compresses down to nothing so it is worth it to me...

Sawtooth
07-31-2011, 06:59 AM
Mojo,

As you know, I have a KU3700. I have a Koala, two long pockets, a small pod, and a Grab It. I like outside pockets, mainly because I don't have to dig for things I'll need off and on during the day, i.e., spotting scope/tripod, snacks, rain gear, pack cover, etc. I think you saw my setup at the rendezvous the other day. You can check some of the pics I posted here on the KU section to see some of the other outside attachment configurations I'm running.