PDA

View Full Version : Man, I Love This Place...

Yukon Hunter
06-17-2003, 04:39 AM
Adding to the many reasons I feel this might be the ultimate place to live is this. Yesterday, I came to the realization that, in five years of hunting Moose, Caribou and Sheep, I have NEVER seen another person. Can it get any better than this?

eric
06-17-2003, 07:28 AM
Hey, Yukon Hunter, the only draw back to the Yukon is, there is NO DEER hunting and the winters might be a tad to long. You are right about the numbers of other hunters out there.Now if I could only talk the wife and kids into moving.I would give up deer hunting for a season or two? It sure would be nice to hunt the white sheep.Good luck this year. Eric

Oz
06-17-2003, 11:31 PM
Hi Yukon, I envy you, and this is coming from an Alaskan of 30 years! You truly have what Alaska once was, still a population density so low it's not hard to get lost from it. Getting tougher to do here, takes more work and larger amounts of cash to accomplish the same I'm sorry to say. An airplane in the equation is almost a must, but it's still great hunting and better than the majority of places. Hunt hard, live well, Oz

Yukon Hunter
06-18-2003, 12:55 AM
Oz-
I'd hazard a guess that up there, your hunting densities couldn't be that much worse than they are here. Did a little calculatin'... Alaska has about 1.1 people per square mile, while the Yukon is less than .2 per square mile. If you get away from that sprawling megalopolis I live in (Whitehorse), the rest of the Territory is actually more like .02. I'm still trying to figure out why- heck, if you like it a bit cool in the winter, and maybe the occasional mosquito or black fly, this is God's country.
Of course, the bulk of the population in Alaska is a goodly distance from Fairbanks, so you must have a fair bit of elbow room, as well. My sister is considering running the Quest ("The Toughest Sled Dog Race In The World", for all you southern types), so I might get up your way yet.

Yukon Hunter
06-18-2003, 12:56 AM
Eric-
Hey, Pal- I'll show you some primo Moose habitat if you do move up here. Heck, maybe even if you don't...
BTW, who needs deer?

Oz
06-18-2003, 11:38 PM
Hey, Last time I checked, moose IS a deer! You knew that, just giggin' you in the ribs a bit. Besides, if you get lonely for deer, just head west, hook up with me and we'll go poke around on Kodiak for some blacktails, or maybe Prince William Sound, plenty there also. Later, Oz

eric
06-19-2003, 11:04 AM
Hey Yukoner, hows the bugs right now, was up to Fort Nelson three wks ago poking around for a blackie, went up the Muskwa, man the sqeeters were bad,dang near had to start shooting them,we were all getting weak from lack of blood, was a nice trip, no other people to be found this time of year, waite untill the fall when elk opens up though, one year there had to be 75 to 80 boat trailers at the landing, it is starting to get crazy out there.Some IDIOTS even try calling elk, when there floating down river in there boats.It makes one shake their heads.I tried out that twelve man, worked out perfect, sqeeters do get in, but they do in any tent, no big deal half the enjoyment of a trip is keeping head count anyways. BTW have you ever hunted Mulies or Whitetails, it is a blast,a lot easier to get out of the woods then moose.I am going to email you about those pants,they sure do sound like the way to go. later Eric