PDA

View Full Version : Help with my scope

J_Cole
06-16-2003, 08:53 AM
If I put my rifle in a rest, sitting it perfectly straight, then the crosshairs in the scope do not seem to be alligned with the rifle. Its like the scope is mounted on the gun at an angle. But, when I shoulder the gun, the crosshairs are square to the target. Is this okay? Is this slightly crooked scope hindering my accuracy? Should I take off the scope, and "square" it to the rifle when it is sitting in a gun vise? I hope this makes sence to you.
Thanks.

Kevin
06-16-2003, 10:32 AM
I assume what you mean is that the scope is somehow canted, as though it was twisted slightly either clockwise or counterclockwise, but it seems to look okay when held offhand. It may be because you're canting the rifle when offhand, which is common.

What does it look like if you bring the rifle up fast with your eyes closed, then open your eyes? You should see a perfect sight picture with straight crosshairs. If you bring it up slowly and look through it, you tend to compensate by canting the rifle.

The problem is that your adjustments now move the crosshair at an angle, rather than straight up and down or straight left and right. Maybe not much of one, but one nonetheless.

Get it fixed. Otherwise, what will happen is that little problem will manifest itself into indecision when you've got to take the hard shot at the big bull, and you'll be thinking when you should be going "Bang." Of course, you'll have the whole off season to think about that big bull, and remember why you should have shot him. Opening day of elk season, everything needs to be perfect.

William Clunie
06-24-2003, 05:08 AM
Most qualified gunsmiths will have an item that inserts into the bore of your rifle and squares your scope to the rifle. It shouldn't cost too much to do this. They can "bore" sight it at the same time. This will get it shooting fairly straight. Your time spent at the range will do the rest. Join a shooting club and get some help there if you are still having problems. Good luck. Enjoy your shooting.