PDA

View Full Version : 2011 NW Rondy Report

Bushcraft
07-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Once again, another great weekend spent with wonderful, like-minded friends is in the books.

I was the first one in and last one out. Unfortunately, being the first one in entailed the discovery of a carefully hidden truck trap. (Mental note: Let Scot drive in first when scouting the viability of car camp sites.) I could have gone without having to remember how to use a shovel, but was grateful of all the opinions on how best to extricate myself. Thanks again to those that pitched in and helped get me out of that particular pickle. The tow bill would have been uglier than my predicament.

As usual, there was much in the way of great food to be had: Kevin's paella, Tracy's dessert's, Snakey's elk kabobs, etc. Thanks to one and all that contributed to our carnivorous gluttony.

As is so oftentimes the case at these events, I was too wrapped up in conversations and forgot to take out my camera. For that I'll/we'll have to depend on others to share their pics.

With that...share away!

medic16
07-18-2011, 02:41 PM
Definitly was a great time. Wish I could have stayed longer. Food was great and plentiful. If you went hungry it was your own fault. I want to thank everyone for the great hospitality and the talks on hunting and all things Kifaru. Look forward to doing it again in the future.

snakey2
07-18-2011, 04:58 PM
As usual it was a grand time. Excellent people to interact with and tons of good food. At one time we were feasting on elk, deer, buffalo, bear and beef. Topped off with mounds of Tracy's dessert goodies it was gluttony at its finest. All of this taking place in a beautiful mountain setting. Lots of weapons to view and even more to talk about. It was nice to see all the old friends and some new ones and to see how much all the kids have grown. The kids seemed to have a great time too and were perfect examples of the statement ..... "it takes an armed village"....! Those who were there around the campfire will understand that one and probably crack up again.

Sawtooth
07-18-2011, 06:01 PM
Next summer we might just have to do as the Hill Family does, and load the whole family and make the pilgrimage to another clan's rendezvous. Your's sounds like a really good time.

Tracy
07-18-2011, 09:03 PM
muddin'

Tracy
07-18-2011, 09:41 PM
A few pics of the scenery & KevinB's wall tent. Was great to have a nice-sized wood stove during the rainy weather. Sorry I didn't take more pics of camp itself. Most of my pics are of the shooting.

Tracy
07-18-2011, 09:51 PM
A few shootin' pics...many more to come...

Wes & Scothill
MikeB. & son Jonathan with the airsoft
OPC, Scothill, & Cameron
Bushcraft
MikeB.

Tracy
07-18-2011, 10:00 PM
As one youngster was heard saying, "We'll stop shooting when we run out of bullets."

MikeB. & daughter Becca

MikeB. & son Jonathan

KevinB. & Kayla, MikeB. & Jonathan, Evanhill & Ailsa (in truck)

Evanhill & daughter Pia

KevinB. & daughter Kayla

Jonathan

Tracy
07-18-2011, 10:14 PM
We had breakfast, went shooting, & didn't come back until dinner. Good stuff. I'll let each individual fill you in on what they were shooting.

Randy

OPC, Cameron, & Randy

Scothill

Me, getting familiar with my new XD

Wes

MikeB., Randy, & Jonathan

OPC

OPC, Wes, ChristianH, & Cameron

Tracy
07-18-2011, 10:25 PM
More shootin' pics....

Evanhill

Mr & Mrs (Christina) Bushcraft

KevinB, Wes, OPC, Scothill, (Bushcraft & Randy standing)

OPC, Scothill

Christina, Me, Evanhill

KevinB, Randy, MikeB.

Christina, Evanhill, OPC, Cameron

Tracy
07-18-2011, 10:39 PM
And more shootin'....

A pretty sight

Evanhill & Scothill

front to back: Evanhill, MikeB., KevinB, Bushcraft

Wes, Scothill, Evanhill (w/ my Ruger .308)

Wes, KevinB, MikeB.

front to back: MikeB., KevinB, Bushcraft, OPC

MikeB., Me (shooting my .308 @ 300yd plate...so nice to hear "ping!" every time ;) ), Bushcraft

Scothill

Tracy
07-18-2011, 10:41 PM
I have more pics to post, but need to take a breather from loading them....more to come tomorrow...

Ed C
07-19-2011, 10:55 AM
Great photos Tracy! Thanks for posting them.
A couple of observations:
He wouldn't have gotten stuck if he had been in a Ford instead of the tin lizzie
Driving is not his strong suit
One would think he would have better recovery gear
I personally wouldn't feel safe shooting from prone if he still had the keys
I hope he shoots better than he drives
http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae44/WillisMcGee65/rofl.gif

Keep back packing Bushwhack the good thing is; You will never make a road hunterhttp://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae44/WillisMcGee65/biggrin.gif

Good luck to youse guys on the High Hunt

Randy Kevin B try to talk him into car pooling = More time in the field!

The above post was good natured roasting. http://i956.photobucket.com/albums/ae44/WillisMcGee65/hali_olutta.gif

snakey2
07-19-2011, 11:21 AM
Ed sorry you weren't there! Recovery gear wasn't the problem it was the extent to which he was buried. Tracy's pictures only show it when it was 3/4 of the way out of the hole! I do believe he will be more "gentle" next time, digging under a truck in the mud will do that to you.

evanhill
07-19-2011, 04:34 PM
Truly, "it takes an armed village".

Once again, it was reinforced that "no, you don't know".

It was very good that Medic116 finally made it to one of these. I have to thank his brother in law for gifting me with a very nice camo hippie hat that I was admiring... the one you see me wearing in the shooting pictures.

Big W made it to our last winter rondy, but it was also good that he finally made it to one of the summer get togethers.

Others who didn't make it were missed.

Here are a few of my wife's pictures. I haven't even had the time to download mine. I think the kids enjoy these things (meltdowns and all) even more than the adults do (meltdowns and all). I asked my 4 year old what her favorite part of the camping trip was and she said "making a new friend". Indeed.

Tracy
07-19-2011, 05:50 PM
Another round of pics...

Tracy
07-19-2011, 05:58 PM
Last few pics...

Beagles enjoying the wood stove

Track Randy found on morning hike

Cool pic of tipi stove. I wanted to get a night shot of the stove glowing, but the lense had condensation on it & this is what I got. Condensation happens when the camera has been in 45 degree rainy temps and then suddenly the tipi is 80 degrees inside :D

Group pic of shooters that stayed out all day

Tracy
07-19-2011, 06:18 PM
Just wanted to add my own thanks to all who attended & contributed to the great food, conversation, & fellowship. KevinB's cooking was fabulous as usual, with many contributions from all of so many types of game. My favorites have to be the axis deer sausage from the Hill bros & the whatchamacallit rice/chicken/shrimp, etc. dish KevinB created.

The netted refuge from the mosquitos (provided by Scothill) was a welcome relief, even though the bug numbers weren't too bad.

Thanks to all those who generously shared their arms & ammunition. It was a day of unparalleled fun. A big thanks goes to Cameron for slugging through the muck & mud to get the steel plates out at a distance.

I also owe thanks to Mindi, for taking over the camera duties so I could spend my afternoon shooting. Thanks to Scot & Bushcraft for their help & encouraging her to shoot. She said she'd shoot 1 gun, 1 time, 1 round. They at least got her to shoot twice :)

Medic16 & crew: So glad you made the trek to join us--it was great to meet you guys. Sorry you had to head for home early. Make sure you get your names/addresses to Bushcraft so he can put them on the list for a Rondy hat.

I regret not taking more camp pics, as there were many more family members in attendance that I don't have pics of because they didn't spend time shooting. I'll have to do better about that next year.

Patrick, you were sorely missed. It just wasn't the same without you with us. Next year, my friend, next year.

As for a theme, I'm loving "It takes an armed village".

Edited to add: Scot, I'm still standing firm that I did NOT kill Mary Catherine! :D

Ken
07-19-2011, 08:05 PM
Great Pic's! Looks like a great time.

What's the scoop on that Savage model 10 PC that Scott is shooting?

Any word on Randy's new Tikka?

David in OR
07-19-2011, 08:09 PM
So...did you guys do any shooting? ;)

Looks like a great time that I missed. Needed to spend some rare and much-appreciated one on one time with my son. (We did some shooting, too. :) ) Thanks for the pics, everyone. It's nice to see photos of people having so much fun together.

Patrick
07-20-2011, 10:27 AM
Situation normal with the Great Northwest Rendezvous...always an "adventure". A truck this time.

To all the photographers: Bravo! To include the great shots of the kids.

Tracy, I must say the Theme surfacing thus far is really super. Yes, next year!

evanhill
07-20-2011, 12:43 PM
"It takes an armed village": I was relaying the following story around the campfire -- my wife's friend told her "those people who have thousands of rounds of ammunition are crazy". So of course I had to think through what a reasonable amount of guns and ammunition for an individual to possess might be. I finally decided that when an SF ODA does its work organizing an armed resistance, they are typically working at the scale of arming and training a village. I decided that a reasonable amount of weapons and ammunition for an individual to have was enough to arm a village. I don't remember who popped off with "it takes an armed village", but it was brilliant.

Here are my favorite pictures from my camera:

At the kid's fort

No pictures of the elusive medic16, but here's his father and brother in law

The basic recovery method

Kid's safety briefing

Don't believe I was shooting .22 at the age of 4, but I could be wrong

It's always nice to be carried by mama

Early morning in the tipi

I made a new friend!

snakey2
07-20-2011, 01:21 PM
Great pictures everyone!!!!

medic16
07-20-2011, 01:27 PM
I believe my father-in-law has a photo of me shooting. Will try and post the photo.

Jason
07-20-2011, 01:28 PM
Evan that last photo is priceless! It completely captures the unique, innocent way that little people connect in their world. Great job in spotting and capturing it.

evanhill
07-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Jason, I must admit that that picture was taken by my wife with my camera. It's kind of like the "border switch", but with cameras.

Bushcraft
07-20-2011, 01:58 PM
Evan,

That was me that popped off. Surprise, I know.

I'm all for, and if consensus allows, walking around with a new Kifaru cap with "It Takes An Armed Village" adorning the back. Perfect litmus test, really.

I'm loving (almost) all of the pics so far. Thanks to all who've posted!

Patrick,

We missed you but, as usual in inclement weather, we were all happy to have your most excellent heated shelters on hand. In a way, you lucked out on not experiencing some of our NW liquid sunshine.

Allen

Kevin B
07-20-2011, 02:34 PM
Alas, I have no photos. Thankfully there were many who were diligent.

There's too many thanks to be offered and because of the shared efforts of these gatherings, few are really required. Food, gear, ammo, advice, humor are essentially community property. No one goes without, unless they left ammo at home and no one has their cal, not that it happened, just saying what if.

Not sure which night but it was after the gathering had closed down for the night. I had buttoned up the tent and stoked the stove. My wife was reading her book by the lantern light and my three were all asleep beside each other at my feet, exhausted from the fun. I said to Kendra, this is what I've always wanted. No it's not our first camping trip, but my kids are all in the age of wonder and none require moment to moment attention or diapers. They tore all over heck and back on the mountain without ever considering TV or other home luxuries. I simply could not have been happier. I went on, maybe, 3 or 4 group camping trips as a kid. They are vivid in my mind and I know how vivid this is now for them. When a younger man and thinking what I wanted my family life to be like, what i wanted my outdoors experiences with the kids to be like, this was it. There'll be many more of them to come but I like to take the time, in the moment to realize how great and valuable now is.

Thanks to everyone for their company and friendship. Thanks for being the sort of group that I can deliver my children to without resignation or concern.

Next year Patrick! No one fell off a chair and that hardly seems right.

medic16
07-20-2011, 06:59 PM
See I am not that elusive after all :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v618/medic16/rondy.jpg

Ralph
07-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Twenty years from now, when the kids are grown and mature enough not to be embarrassed by kiddy recollections they will be remembering this time. Wish I could have been there.

DWP
07-20-2011, 11:10 PM
Hoping that the dates for next year work out for my family. Looks like a ton of good times for the kiddos and the adults.

Bushcraft
07-21-2011, 12:15 AM
I'd also like to thank OPC for making the trip, bringing some of his rigs and letting me burn a whole bunch of powder through his new .338 Edge. There is something wickedly awe-inspiring about effortlessly hammering something the size of a cantelope at 805 yards in real-world moutainous conditions. Especially so when using 90% loads just to fire-form some raw brass.

Wowser.

I'm going to have to make a trip out your way and spend a weekend taking a lot of notes.

scothill
07-21-2011, 01:12 PM
Great Pic's! Looks like a great time.

What's the scoop on that Savage model 10 PC that Scott is shooting?

I wanted a less expensive bolt gun to practice positional shooting at longer ranges then is easily afforded by the .22lr. I decided to get a .223 as I have a bunch of ammunition in that caliber and it is also easy and cheap to get. For several reasons including not stringing when hot for longer practice sessions I wanted a heavier barrel. I narrowed it down to the PC and a tikka. The PC won out because of the tikka stock. For now it has an older Leupold VXIIC 3-9 on it. The only thing wrong with the scope is that it doesn't have click adjustments so I can't dial in for longer ranges. When I get the money it will be upgraded. I also plan to have it cut down to 16" for easier carrying and to cut weight a bit. I might also have it fluted, but haven't decided yet.

Ken
07-21-2011, 07:08 PM
Your line of reasoning sounds all too familiar as I've been wanting something like the PC for a couple of years now.

How's she shoot?

scothill
07-22-2011, 09:20 AM
Your line of reasoning sounds all too familiar as I've been wanting something like the PC for a couple of years now.

How's she shoot?

Good. I have had her out three times. Once on paper and the rest on steel at longer ranges. For the steel shoots at 200 and 300 it was point and shoot and hit right where you aimed. At longer ranges the limiting factor is the scope, but I was hitting with boring regularity at 440 once I figured out where to hold. On paper I was literally able to put a bullet in the same hole at 25yds on purpose during the begining of the sight in and it is at or below sub moa beyond. It was a quick trip and the goal was just to get it on paper. I actually fine tuned it on steel at 200yds. I probably need to get back on paper and confirm.

Randy
07-22-2011, 06:38 PM
“It takes an armed village” Priceless theme!
Thanks to everyone who made it such a fun event once again. It’s always good see old friends and meet new ones at these Kifaru Rondys. Once again, thanks Patrick for a forum that has allowed groups of people from across the country to connect, meet, gather and become fast friends. I have learned more about hunting, camping, firearms, the outdoors over the last few years here than I ever could have learned with other groups.
So a few highlights of the weekend from my perspective. First, our inaugural car camp was a roaring success! It allowed families to come spend time with their dads/husbands that may not have been possible before. Second, the kids had a blast shooting, building forts, playing in the snow and mud and loving the Biggles. My dogs were in hound heaven with all those little girls paying them endless attention
Third, this was the first time we’ve had an area that allowed safe shooting from beginner 22 shooters to those who wanted to reach out and ring some steel. There was an endless supply of rifles, handguns and ammo. Rumor was there may have been some suppressed rigs there, but I never heard them
Fourth, the food, as usual was great and endless! Elk, deer, buffalo, bear, beef and even some veggies. I agree with Tracy, that dish KevinB stirred up was remarkable. Tracy rolled in to camp with an entire cooler full of homemade desserts to be sure we didn’t short ourselves on carbs.
Campfire discussions ranged from hunting and guns to medical emergencies and adventures from our resident medic and nurse. Of course, Bushcraft and KevinB discussed far flung places with the now required gestures and hand motions we all have come to expect. Somewhere along the line, the theme emerged and I thing started out with EvanHill discussing a comment by someone, someplace. I also didn’t know smallpox could hold so much humor…given the context and who uttered the comment
Sometime in the midst of the 2nd supper (11:30PM meat cooking), we had a Dana Carvey impersonation from none other than KevinB…really, you had to be there!
Again, it was great to see you all. It was great to meet Medic 16 and family, BigW and Cameron. Thanks to one and all for your contributions in making it a great weekend in the mountains!

MikeB.
07-23-2011, 12:07 AM
Not much more I can add that hasn't already been said, but there are few things that made the weekend great for me & mine...
Our kids had a ball with the other youngsters & the older Hill kids are to be commended for including & watching over the younger ones all weekend; they obviously come from good stock! The .22 range that KevinB & Evanhill set up was great & Jonathan loved shooting Uncle Randy's "cowboy gun" (lever action Henry) there. Snakey's elk fajitas were downright addictive; it took a lot of will power to stop at 2 so I'd have room for KevinB's traditional midnight whitetail chops!
The car camp definitely cut down on the amount of time required each day for basic necessities (filtering water, etc.) so we had a lot more time to visit, whether around the campfire, under the screen tent, or in KevinB's warm, dry kitchen. This is the first year I felt like I really had time to get acquainted with some of you fine folks & it was great... looking forward to continuing the conversations on this forum until next summer!
The family finally got to appreciate the wonder of tipi living, waking up to cool, rainy mornings, greeted by the warmth of a blazing fire in the woodstove with hot chocolate & coffee brewing. The Mrs. doesn't think I'm quite as crazy now for buying our nylon abode!
Like KevinB said earlier, I hope these Rondy weekends are burned into my kids' memories & they kindle a lifelong love of the mountains. They've already been talking about the next "Kif" as they say.
I'm all for the "armed village" theme. Once the youngsters have been properly brought up in the armed village, they can continue their path to productive citizenship in Bushcraft's exclusive Congelo Sursum Academy... another fine concept brought to you by the Saturday night campfire!

oldpinecricker
07-25-2011, 03:45 PM
Wanting to thank all for the good time Cameron and I had with you folks to the west of us. Good folks, good eating, a bit of lead sprinkled on the landscape and an overall goodtime.

We were happy to make an appearance and thanks to Bushcract for forming some brass so we can get another 338 project up and running.