PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Para Pancho

Rooster
06-09-2003, 07:02 AM
I saw the para pancho on the military board. I have searched endlessly for a superlight pancho for use when bowhunting in a tree stand. It needs to be breathable and high quality. Their is a lot of junk out there. This pancho needs to be able to drape far down over the legs and feet. It needs to have perhaps velcro slits that one can reach out to get the bow rather than lift up the bottom. The hood needs enough form, stiffness or perhaps a brim to keep water off the face. Sometimes you just need to "hunker down" and get through the rain especially when the week you chose vacation to deer hunt gets to be a wet one.

Patrick
06-09-2003, 09:19 AM
Rooster--

Okay, I'm not surprised hunters might be interested in this project too. I'll factor in your points. It's under development now. We tend to put a lot of soak time into new things, so please be patient. And thanks!

Rooster
06-22-2003, 08:12 AM
Just another thought. For simplicity sake perhaps it doesn't need a hood at all... just zip up like a mock tee or snaps around neck like a barber sheet. The rain could better be handled by a goretex hat with a good brim.This would keep cost, weight and production complexity down. I like it to be very big so that it can cover packs etc. or stretch out for a very very simple shelter. But no pancho compromises.Quality and breathability is still primary though. Often rain is going sideways in a tree stand so it needs to come down over the knees and legs to keep your lower body dry. Would this para material stand up to a downpour without being stretched taut?

Patrick
06-22-2003, 05:59 PM
Rooster--

The para material is utterly waterproof. But not breatheable. So we have a problem with your desire for breathability. It would get lot's heavier and lose much toughness...in fact, would have to be some other fabric altogether. This may be irreconcilable with the projects' starting point, which was, is, light-as-possible, compact-as-possible and multifunctional. Capish?

Rooster
06-23-2003, 10:28 AM
Thnks Patrick. The reason I thought breatheable was because I had a cheaper cabelas waterproof coat & pants that I sat a long time in a tree stand during the rain and it seemed I got wet but it was from the inside. I now have goretex rain suit but I hate the extra weight and sometimes dress in different camo, clothing etc which is not goretex. Bow Hunters carry so much junk anyway I thought the superlight emergency pancho may be the way to go. Do you think the para pancho, although not breatheable, might work?

Patrick
06-23-2003, 05:16 PM
Rooster--

Yeah, I do think it'll work. Especially as you're not working up any sort of a sweat whilst in a blind or stand.

Rooster
08-01-2003, 08:08 AM
Patrick, Still working on Parapancho?

Patrick
08-01-2003, 09:30 AM
Hey Rooster--

Yep. Been using it several times. Finally got serious rain when it was being used as the front for the ParaTarp--and it leaked nary a bit. Weighs 8 1/2 oz. No hood. Configured to use in poncho mode either with or without a pack. I'd like to see how it performs as a front for the tarp in snow storm, so will be a while before I'm ready to release the thing on the world. Some more serious wind testing too.

Patrick

08-03-2003, 09:59 PM
Patrick,
If using the poncho as a vestibule for the paratarp how about protecting the head opening to be used as a stove pipe port?

Patrick
08-04-2003, 08:28 AM
Hi 7mm--

That didn't work out. I tried bracing the neck slot open with various devices and the tension it takes to keep the poncho securely in place on the front of the Tarp just "twanged" the slot everywhich direction. Let rain in too; and I couldn't use our fireproof fabric around the neck slot 'cause it would eat a guy's skin up pretty fast when using it as a poncho. So, there's a heatproof "patch" just for the stove pipe in the thing now, and it works mighty fine.

Rooster
08-04-2003, 10:17 AM
Good thinking. Good Work.

08-04-2003, 04:23 PM
Patrick'
That's a great addition. I can't stay ahead of you. I sent you a message through email regarding water purification. Can you give me any information? Also, what did you find out about the muzzle brake question I had for my Rambler. I got to thinking that rather than having the ports on the upper half of the brake it might be better in a 120 degree arc on the upper half. Anyway let me know.

Patrick
08-04-2003, 05:16 PM
7mm--

I haven't seen the email on water purification...I guess my Crew hasn't forwarded it to me yet. But I'm not the guy to ask, as I don't use any purification--I don't get giardia. Immune; too many years of drinking from wherever I find water. It's a blessing for sure.

I'll be checking on the barrel tomorrow...the action arrived back here at the Shop today. Stand by.

Mark
08-13-2003, 02:14 PM
Patrick,

Besides hunting, I shoot High Power Rifle competitively. During the National Matches at Camp Perry I use a poncho to cover my gear. It is garuanteed to rain at least once there. My poncho ripped this year and my gear got wet. I thought that the material you use to make the tents would make a perfect poncho or cover for my stool and shooting gear. Here is a URL with a picture of the stool I use to carry everything. http://www.schnellermanufacturing.com/ Will your poncho fit over it? If not, is it posible to make a cover?

Thanks,

Mark

imported_rooster
02-16-2004, 10:58 AM
Patrick, How's this project coming? I see a lot on the military side. I hope we can keep it super-light, super-dry, and super-simple.

Patrick
02-16-2004, 02:55 PM
Hey Rooster--

When I get back from Elk Convention (where I'm heading in about an hour) I intend to get back on it. I think we'll have it ready by late spring.