PDA

View Full Version : Made some observations...

bigbore442001
06-08-2003, 05:02 AM
For the past couple of weekends I used my 4 man at a campsite I have at a sporting club in Massachusetts. The first night was interesting. I pitched the tent over what is basically gravelly soil. This is found throughout the New England area. There were some gaps at the bottom and I covered them with leaves. That first night was interesting. I fell asleep and was quite comfortable. When I awoke I saw a slug crawling inside the tipi. I figured that other things could get in as well. The area isn't very level so I pitched it in another spot. It is a tad more level but rocky, gravelly and some grass covering it. I used some spikes to secure the bottom. I noticed that there were some gaps and it did let in the mosquitos. I awoke early in the morning around 3 AM and swatted one. I then awoke around 5 AM as usual and saw a number of the viragos at the peak of the tipi. I noticed that now and then, one would make a dive bomb in the hopes of sucking my corpuscles.

I like the tipi but I think that it works best in the fall, winter and early spring. When the bugs come out like they do in the summers of New England, I'm not sure if it is the best thing to have.

Any advice for keeping mosquitos out of the tipi?

VernAK
06-08-2003, 07:46 AM
BB,
I use my 4 man for remote summer fishing trips and have experienced the bug situation....upon entering the Tipi for the night, I burn about 1/2" of mosquito coil. This kills the mosquitos gathered in the peak.....when erecting the Tipi, I sprinkle Buhach around the inside perimeter. Ant powder sprinkled around the perimeter may also work....

fos
06-09-2003, 07:35 AM
Bigbore, try using a bug bivy over your sleeping bag inside the tipi during bug season. Outdoor Research makes a nice light one. It has a waterproof bottom and noseeum mesh upper with a hoop to keep the screen off your face. It's actually useful all year due to the waterproof bottom, and because the mesh also helps keeps frost, condensation, spindrift from reaching your bag.