PDA

View Full Version : Bedding question

Bruce
06-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Hi, I was wondering if with a #1 contour barrel it would be worth bedding the whole barrel as it is so thin.What are the pros and cons.Thanks. Bruce

Jim T
06-04-2003, 10:14 PM
I would think that not allowing the barrel to cool evenly would really make it shoot erratically, but then I'm not a gunsmith.

Jim

Randy
06-07-2003, 05:02 AM
I'm no gunsmith either, but I would think that bedding the entire barrel will result in a very finicky shooter. The barrel has to have room to move, if you remove that by full-length bedding, only a very few load combinations will respond to the way the barrel can move. I've got several pencil thin varmint guns only bedded in the action and about 2inches into the barrel channe. They shoot very well, sub-minute of angle, and I've experienced no trouble with them.

me
06-10-2003, 12:06 AM
Bruce
I almost qualify. I would most definetly keep the barrel free floating, and bed just the action. The smaller the diameter of the barrel the more the heat with cause it to move. Allow about .005-.006 of an inch(about the thickness of paper) of clearance between the stock and barrel. Barrels move and for the most part they should be allowed to move. the problem with the stock contacting the barrel is that as the barrel heats up and moves, The stock gives the barrel a place to push against. As the barrel gets hotter and presses against the stock harder it affects the acuracy. This is usualy seen on paper as a group that climbs or foats, most times in a particular direction.

don
06-10-2003, 04:24 PM
Bruce, My experience was using a lightweight barrel in a 06. My concern was to get a group starting with a cold clean barrel.In hunting one cannot fire a fouling shot or warm up the barrel. Free floated , I had shots string up. Putting a shim under the forend to acheve 7 #s up pressure , the shots strung dowm. It has been a number of years so ,I may have the direction backward by now. Anyway I finally bedded the barrel in silicon rubber and it settled down. Couple years latter switched to a different cal and rifle so cannot report abut long term stability. don
My thought is the barrel is like a tuning fork, and one needs to get a constant frequency to place the rounds accuratly.