PDA

View Full Version : Ul e&e

sovereign
06-30-2011, 10:06 AM
Is anyone using one as a day pack? I have been using the E&E as my primary hiking day pack since they came out, both G1 and G2, with and without X-Ray straps. Looking for input from those who have used both. Is the benefit of the lighter weight of the UL offset by its lack of structure from the fabric and lighter straps?

sovereign
07-01-2011, 12:01 PM
Errrr, does anyone have a UL E&E?

LOL!

davesuvak
07-01-2011, 01:24 PM
I have a KU E&E but I haven't used a "standard" E&E so I can't compare the two. The main way I use my E&E is attached to a KU 3700. It seems to work fine as a stand alone day pack with the gear I packed in it. How much weight do you usually carry? I could load it up with some stuff and let you know how it works. I could also take some pictures if that would help.

sovereign
07-01-2011, 01:34 PM
I have a KU E&E but I haven't used a "standard" E&E so I can't compare the two. The main way I use my E&E is attached to a KU 3700. It seems to work fine as a stand alone day pack with the gear I packed in it. How much weight do you usually carry? I could load it up with some stuff and let you know how it works. I could also take some pictures if that would help.

Well, for example, I carry a 72oz. bladder in the rear slot pocket. Or, just a 32oz. Nalgene. A light windbreaker, hat, gloves, rain pants and jacket if the weather may threaten. Basically, I stuff it with all day hike essentials, and may throw in a sandwich, etc. Never weighed it, but I imagine the total is around 15lbs. including the 1000d E&E. But, that is including 2 GPS pouches, one with a IOR monocular and one with a Garmin 60CSX GPS. Add an Organizer on the front with Surefire, compass, etc. So, if I were to use this in a more minimalist fashion by ditching all the extra Cordura pouches, perhaps total weight would be 10-12lbs, perhaps even less.

If you can, throw a full Nalgene and some stuff in there to see if you really feel things through the thinner fabric.

Thanks.

davesuvak
07-01-2011, 04:36 PM
I loaded the KU E&E with the following stuff (total weight including E&E is 8 lbs):

Rain jacket, full Nalgene bottle, fire starting kit, small FAK, leatherman, head lamp, flash light, granola bars, etc. I put some stuff in a large pull out and other stuff in a KU regular possibles pouch.

Here is the packed E&E on my back. I put the rain jacket toward my back. The pack felt fine I didn't feel anything poking me. Also it's not completely stuffed. There is room for a lunch.

Side view

I tried the Nalgene in the water bottle pouch attached to the side of the E&E. It flopped around a bit when I walked. I didn't care for this configuration.

I left the female portion of the E&E's dock and lock straps attached to my KU 3700 so I couldn't compress the pack. Maybe if the water bottle pouch was compressed to the E&E it wouldn't flop around. I'll give it a try.

Side view of bottle pouch

I tried the possibles pouch attached to the back of the E&E. This seemed to work well and did not flop around. It's not an organizer but it allows for expansion. The large possibles pouch should fit as well.

Side view of possibles pouch

The KU E&E does have a rear slot pocket that will fit a 70 oz water bladder. It could also hold a frame sheet to give the pack some rigidity.

Let me know if there is something else you want me to try.

sovereign
07-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Awesome mini review of the UL E&E! Thanks for taking the time.