PDA

View Full Version : Camp stool?

Vernon
06-28-2011, 03:53 PM
Any update on the Kifaru UL Camp stool? What is the projected weight? Thanks.

MojoSlim
06-29-2011, 10:16 AM
I second a request for an update. I've heard you guys refer to them as "geezer chairs," but us young'uns also enjoy a nice supported sit whilst "out there." Thanks in advance!

larryschwartz
06-29-2011, 10:47 AM
x3 on an update.

rambler_wannabe
06-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Dang, I forgot about this one. I officially qualify as a geezer.

Patrick
06-29-2011, 02:19 PM
Hi fellows, the Chair as currently configured weighs 1 lb. 10 oz. It has undergone much testing--from myself and others--and will undergo even more before getting the GTG nod. So far so good.

Vernon
06-30-2011, 09:47 AM
Patrick,

Thanks for the update. For your base stool are you using a model with steel legs or aluminum legs?

larryschwartz
06-30-2011, 11:04 AM
pics of the prototype please...

sab
06-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Larry:

Try this:

http://www.kifaruforums.net/showthread.php?25074-News-on-coming-products/page2&highlight=camp+stool

Scott

MojoSlim
06-30-2011, 02:32 PM
So we don't have to jump threads, here you go, from sab's link (thanks sab!):

http://www.kifaruforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5415&d=1300467710

http://www.kifaruforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5416&d=1300467729

http://www.kifaruforums.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=5417&d=1300467746

Patrick
06-30-2011, 06:52 PM
Vernon, it's aluminum.

AbnMedOps
07-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Aluminum? Hmm..that's kinda old-school. Can we get this in titanium, or perhaps some sort of sustainable-bamboo / hemp laminate?

Wind Talker
07-03-2011, 07:35 AM
I saw this when the first pictures were posted to the forums. After looking at this more than several times the one potential weak point I see are the pivot pins. Granted, I have not seen one of these first hand. However, from the posted pictures the pivot pin appears to be a rivit of some type. With the sustained stress and repeatable use over this area one solution could be a bushing/sleeve. That would act as a bearing surface for the pivot and also provide some additional structural integrity to the legs.

Just wanted to throw that out there for consideration.

Hasher
07-03-2011, 11:08 AM
I was able to "test" one at this years rondy. I looked it over and though well my 250 pounds is going to CRUSH this thing in about 3 seconds flat. But hey Patrick said go ahead sooooooo.... After a few hours sittign on it on and off it is actualyl VERY sturdy.

Patrick
07-03-2011, 01:01 PM
Wind Talker, for the very reason of durability over time we have selected stainless steel barrel bushings for the leg pins.

Wind Talker
07-03-2011, 11:28 PM
Wind Talker, for the very reason of durability over time we have selected stainless steel barrel bushings for the leg pins.

Thanks Patrick! I could not tell what was provided from the picture. The thought just hit me when I was looking through this recent post and wanted to toss that out for for consideration. Please don't take it as criticism. Just trying to help.

Patrick
07-04-2011, 08:09 AM
Wind Talker, you are actually correct in noting the pins as a possible weak link. We went through two previous pin types in getting to the current bullet proof set-up. The dang things are VERY expensive compared to anything else but by golly they do the job for heavy guys, and for long-term for anyone.

The Chair back is now a couple inches taller than seen in that old photo too. Quite comfy to lean back in. Which of course is the objective of the whole project. It contributes greatly to sustainable LIVING in the outback and is light enough to justify carrying it.

tendeerfeet
07-04-2011, 06:55 PM
As the person in the photo sitting in the new UL camp stool, I can say that the chair/stool was nice and sturdy. I'm around 190 lbs. The only negative was the back height. Glad to see that the back height has been improved.

Lizette
08-12-2011, 03:33 AM
Many times, hikers and campers may find it difficult to find a comfortable place to rest. Where rocks and tree stumps are plentiful, this isnít a problem. However, in some areas, natural seats are hard to find. Having a camping stool eliminates this issue.

Vernon
08-31-2011, 07:08 PM
Any more updates on this stool? Yeah, I know, I'm impatient.

Patrick
09-02-2011, 08:23 AM
Vernon, I'm using my Chair steadily on all my rambles. It looks like it's going to make the cut. It's holding up fine, and is just what I've wanted for quite some time.

The next step is to find a point for inserting it into Production. Staff are absobing the new Timberline Pack now, on the heels of building LOTS of KU packs and accessories and all the other gear we produce. When that effort normalizes we should get the Chair Introduced. Give us a bit more time, amigo. It's coming.

I wonder if anyone would like to help with a name for it. We've been half-jokingly calling it The Geezer Chair around the Shop. That could resonate with us "mature" ramblers--but what about you young-'uns out there? Anyone have any suggestions?

Rizzy
09-03-2011, 09:08 AM
Geezer Chair sounds good to me, that's probably what most of us are going to call it anyways.......I'm a young-un btw

mgutman
09-05-2011, 03:00 PM
I wonder if anyone would like to help with a name for it. We've been half-jokingly calling it The Geezer Chair around the Shop. That could resonate with us "mature" ramblers--but what about you young-'uns out there? Anyone have any suggestions?

The Back Saver.

bark-eater
09-05-2011, 04:53 PM
"Set-A-Spell"

Jon S
09-05-2011, 07:30 PM
How about The Huntsman!! (I doubt Colt would have a problem, if they do, we could call it the Huntsman22 or 26)
We seem to be on a trend of naming new stuff after great men.

The Timberline is a fitting tribute to a pack that can go anywhere with anyone and teach you a few things along the way. It can be one heck of a day pack that easily converts to a heavy hauler as we all know Bill could do, and might just make you walk that extra mile to see what Bill would have seen over that next hill.

The Sawtooth is a shelter that is super light, functional, and will protect you from the worst Mother Nature can throw at you. We know Paul is very similar; he provides shelter for his family, his companions and any other way faring ladies that happen to be walking near the CO Backcountry Rondy in the middle of a good rain, all in style, I might add.

The Huntsman is a must have on all trips. He is easy to sit around with, very comforting, supportive and plenty stable enough to take those prairie dogs or coyotes at longer distances. We all know Don has hunted and harvested big game and made believers out of many in that wimpy little .260! Guess what the chair weighs? Just move that pesky decimal over and you have it, 26.0 oz. We all know he and it are great to have around your fire, your firing line and just about anywhere else you find the need to park it.

out there
09-06-2011, 02:45 PM
Sitting can be a time for reflecting on your past or where you came from.
Depending on your mood and surroundings, you may reflect on just that days journey or you may go back to your birth and reflect on the path that got you to today.
It would be no stretch of the imagination to think that the beginnings of the chair were formed deep in Patrick's mind back in the days when Kifaru was founded.
So to make the connection back to its birth, I propose...

Kukaa

It's Swahili for sit.

(Hello everyone. I'm Steve. New member and first time Kifaru owner. I'm glad to be here.)

one-eyed Bob
09-06-2011, 03:46 PM
You can make it the Huntsman if you adapt it as a rifle support.

davesuvak
09-06-2011, 04:42 PM
Welcome Steve.

I was going to propose something boring such as KU Camp Stool or KU Chair (KU to fit with Kifaru's other ultralight gear) but Kukaa is much better. It even has the KU in it.

Ed C
09-07-2011, 08:20 PM
The Sawtooth is a shelter that is super light, functional, and will protect you from the worst Mother Nature can throw at you. We know Paul is very similar; he provides shelter for his family, his companions and any other way faring ladies that happen to be walking near the CO Backcountry Rondy in the middle of a good rain, all in style, I might add.

The Sawtooth was named after a mountain range:o:o:o:o

flamingo 7
09-08-2011, 08:16 AM
I had thought Crock Dock would be good, athough Geezer is a splended choice. In the end though I love Kukaa. A good fit. Now if we can just manage to trap a live one!

Sawtooth
09-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Am I a young-un? :) Never mind. Geezer Pleaser. Huntsman. Both good handles for a chair that rocks. Oh, wait...no, it's not a rocking chair...it just plan rocks!

MojoSlim
09-09-2011, 09:19 AM
I guess I'm a young 'un. Huntsman, geezer pleezer, set a spell: they sound great to me! My only issue with Kukaa, and this is nothing against the Swahili language or Out There personally, is that it sounds very similar to the Hawaiian word, Ku'kai, which translates to, 'feces.' but that is only persona biasl, and it might also be that Im mispronouncing 'kukaa' (as I did with Kifaru, before I called the company and heard how they pronounce it). It may send mixed impressions as to the function and purpose of the camp stool (especially with the word stool being tossed about) to the Hawaiian Kifaru-ites.

Here are a few names I'd add:

- The Repose
- The Take-a-Seat
- The Poppa Squat (or Squat Poppa)
- The LX 20 (or whatever the weight is in grams - the LX because if you put an L over an X it looks like the chair)
- the Butt Rut
- The MojoSlim (worth a try, eh?)
- KU Rump Stump
- the MM-C (Mobile Man-Chair)

That's all i got.

snakey2
09-09-2011, 09:43 AM
Whatever you call it I'm sure Kifaru "rear gear" will be a hit. Any name will do as long as it allows me to be more comfortable.

Ed C
09-09-2011, 10:18 AM
Whatever you call it I'm sure Kifaru "rear gear" will be a hit. Any name will do as long as it allows me to be more comfortable.

Great call snakerly! I think you just named it REAR GEAR Brilliant!
Of course I should expect no less from you.:rolleyes:

sab
09-09-2011, 11:07 AM
Call me unimaginative, but "The Kifaru Chair" really resonates with me...

:D

Scott

larryschwartz
09-09-2011, 01:14 PM
I had some ideas of my own but I really like Rump Stump...it's descriptive, it's what we use when we ain't got a chair, and "it sings" (for those of you who recognize the movie reference; http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0063035/quotes?qt=qt0351958). : )

DocGP
09-09-2011, 02:18 PM
Rump rack? No, sounds too much like a cut of meat!!

Luxury-Lite, Luxu-Lite.....aw heck, I am not any good at this !!

Doc

Vernon
09-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Luxury Lite is already used by another vendor. Luxurylite (http://www.luxurylite.com/)

5x5
09-11-2011, 04:44 AM
How about the Doolittle. Named for the Doolittle raiders of WWII and describes what I'd be doing in it.

Bedlam
09-11-2011, 10:37 PM
the GBP: Geezer Beezer Pleazer

Ryan

larryschwartz
09-12-2011, 01:55 PM
How about the Campfire (since that is where we will most likely use it).

Backwoods
09-13-2011, 09:15 AM
I like the "Kifaru Stool"...but honestly, I don't care what it is called I just want one! Actually, I will take 4...these will make a great gifts!

filsonman
09-13-2011, 06:35 PM
I will bite the bullet and take a "stool sample" to facilitate and expedite the testing process.

bark-eater
09-16-2011, 02:37 PM
For this crowd, a trapdoor could be added to create a "seat of ease".

DocGP
09-18-2011, 07:55 PM
I will bite the bullet and take a "stool sample" to facilitate and expedite the testing process.

Oh man!! ! That is too funny filsonman.......in my business, a stool sample is something taken from the south end of a north bound cow!!!

Thanks for the good chuckle!!

Doc

thewolverine
09-23-2011, 11:28 AM
I think KUMI means "ten" in Swahili..
Looks like the stool will be a "ten"!
Hey, it has KU in it :)