PDA

View Full Version : PALS and Bungies (OLD THREAD!!)

Mel
08-03-2002, 02:29 PM
As you probably figured from the title of this thread, with all the PALS webbing on the EMR and Scout, it's pretty simple to place bungies wherever you want, to lash on gear. You can use regular bungies and hook onto the PALS, or use shock cord with cord locks. With shock cord, you can weave under the PALS in almost any pattern you can think of, run the two ends thru a cord lock and tie it off.

What do you all think about possible OD mesh stuff sacks that you could lash on the outside of the EMR and Scout in this way?

Mel

Recce Gear
08-03-2002, 03:00 PM
Mel,

Are these the same mesh bags Patrick and I were talking about at Del Mar? I think they are an outstanding idea.

drtywk

Mel
08-03-2002, 09:34 PM
drtywk:

What type of mesh bags were you and Patrick talking about? What I'm talking about is basically a mesh stuff sack with a drawstring and cordlock. Something you could put wet gear in and such. Were you thinking of something different?

Mel

eggroll
08-03-2002, 09:38 PM
heres a pic of my Scout with a Bungee cord

http://www.dt-group.com/gear/scout.gif

routed through the webbing and the claymore pocket fits right over.

egg

Razor
08-05-2002, 10:32 AM
Funny, I met up with Egg last Friday and we briefly discussed the inside/outside the ruck storage issue. My feelings are that if you are using the ruck in a military (or paramilitary) fashion, you want to put as little as possible outside the ruck to streamline it. This allows you to move through the woods much easier. Here in the western US its not so much of a problem, but trying to move through the choked foliage of the eastern US with a gypsy ruck (what we called a ruck with all sorts of crap strapped, lashed or otherwise hung off it) ensures a slow, painful movement.

Now, if stealthy movement isn't in your plans, or your operational environment is relatively open, then adding all sorts of outer storage devices can be a good thing to help organize your kit and make certain items much more accessible than if they were stuffed deep in the ruck. In this case, a small, flat mesh bag to stow wet items for drying on the move would be a good idea, so long as it didn't protrude far from the main ruck and it was securely fastened to the ruck body. For the opening, I'd stick with a drawstring and cord-lock for simplicity, quiet operation and easy field repair (vice a Velcro flap or Fastex closures). I have some other ideas for this type of pocket, but I have to get back to work for now. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Mel
08-05-2002, 01:07 PM
Guys, I just talked to Patrick about some of these issues. We're going to be offering OD mesh Pullouts in the near future. The XL Pullout will work great lashed onto the ruck to dry out gear. They will be identical to our 420d Pullouts, but in OD mesh. Also, in the near future we'll be offering OD bungies with cordlocks, probably in a kit version. Nice photo, Egg.

Mel

sak45acp
08-05-2002, 08:11 PM
Mel,
I just want to say to you and Patrick how cool it is to see a company that is on the ball. You guys are the first I have seen in a long time that can take an idea, or someone else's, beat the hell out of it, fix it, and get good product out to the consumer in a minimum of time. How utterly American and sadly lacking in today's world. Working in the outdoor industry, I can not tell you how frustrated I can get trying to get corporate bean counters to look at outside ideas for gear and markets. You guys have started a whole new business, complete with marketing, research and development and product to the consumer in a year. I know of no other outdoor company that is going to do that, or want to do that. The bungee/mesh bag thing is a good example. Anyway, I'll get off my soapbox, but thank you for keeping up my faith in American business.

eggroll
08-06-2002, 09:27 AM
the bungee idea has been used for almost 10 years if not more by Patricks' mountainsmith designs.

egg

sak45acp
08-07-2002, 10:25 PM
I understand the whole bungee/mesh thing has been around awhile, but I never would have thought of putting bungies through the PALS and doing the same thing it takes most pack designers months or years of research and bean counting. My point is that Mel and Patrick just did it, on of their customers already has pics on the web of the same thing, and it will be an optional item in a few weeks from the manufacturer, all in just two weeks of discussion on the web. The North Face couldn't do that if the CEO's life depended on it. Natick sure as hell couldn't design, or modify a design for military gear that is bombproof, soldier proof, and ****ing works right the first time in the same amount of time that Patrick and Mel did. I know Patrick's stuff has been around awhile, but Natick took a perfectly good Lowe Pack and turned it into a piece of ****, and that took them several years. My point is that it is nice to see people that can get the lead out when it is needed.

Mel
08-08-2002, 11:51 PM
sak45acp:

Thanks for all the good words about Kifaru. I guess the nice thing about a small, non-corporate company, is the ability to develop new ideas, and make changes or additions to existing products, all in a relatively short time. We're also able to keep customer service on a more personal level. Our message board here, really helps in that regard. It's a great way to stay in touch with you guys. We can hear your comments and suggestions, and are able to keep you informed on all the latest happenings at Kifaru. Let's keep up the great teamwork.

Mel

eggroll
01-12-2006, 02:30 PM
btt