PDA

View Full Version : Another semi-dumb question.

bigbore442001
05-26-2003, 03:52 PM
I believe I asked this before but I don't recall the information that well.

This summer I'll be heading west again and with my 4 man tipi. I hope to be able to do some varminting in ND,Montana and Idaho. I know I will be doing some camping out on th Great Plains and possibly the Badlands of ND.

Now last time I was out there I did notice that the apparent dearth of trees made me the tallest object on the landscape. I was thinking about how the nice metal tipi pole and stove pipe would be if some thunderstorm were to pop up. I spoke to a lady rancher who said that the Badlands make their own weather. I would hate to be sleeping soundly and have a bolt hit the pole/stack with me in it.

I was thinking of putting some kind of insulating pad in the bottom for the pole to rest on. Any suggestions? Thanks.

180pilot
05-26-2003, 05:21 PM
/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif Hope you are traveling in a hard top vehicle, because a tent is not a good place to be with lightning around. Get inside your vehicle and roll the windows up. A pad under the metal stove will not stop the bolt from jumping to you on its way to ground. All my reading, suggests inside a metal vehicle is your best protection.