PDA

View Full Version : Sheep Hunting Gear

Jim T
05-24-2003, 08:17 AM
I am narrowing down my gear list for sheep hunting this fall. Two items I haven't settled on yet are:

Outerwear and sleeping bag

I was thinking about Filson whipcord pants to go with my Microtex shirt, however I'm open to suggestions.

I want a sleeping bag that is as light as possible, and synthetic. I need a long bag (I'm 6'4").

Any other gee whiz gear suggestions would help not only me, but I'm sure others on this forum.

Jim

05-25-2003, 12:15 AM
For what it is worth: here is what I have found to answer all my problems of sheep/goat hunting. I wear a lightweight Patagonia thermal underwear, and the Browning waterproof PacPants. They are made to be rainwear, but are so lightweight, they come with their own small zipper pouch to stuff into. Wearing these pants allows me to be comfortable, forget about rain or high wet grass and they breath to prevent from sweating. I did buy some Smartwool merino soft long thermal underwear last week and that looks promising. I know their socks are good.

I bought some Irish Setters boots from Cabela's last year, and they have switchable cleats for the sole for ice and mud. Wore them on a goat hunt last year and loved them. My feet stayed dry and warm.

As for rainwear, I take a Frogg Toggs jacket and stuff it the pack. It weighs ounces. Don't need rain pants, as my pants take care of that already. Buy a GoreTex Windstopper shirt/pullover that you can take on and off when climbing mountains.

I have tried 'em all, spent a fortune on clothes/boots/tents.....this system works, and works consistently superior to anything I have tried.

Good luck. I will be chasing sheep in the Brooks Range this year, and goats on Kodiak.

05-25-2003, 12:18 AM
Sorry, forgot about the sleeping bag.......Integral Designs makes a synthetic stuffed bag that weighs 2.1 lbs and rated to about 20 degrees. You cannot beat that....I do not like goosedown, although it will get you lighter and warmer. When it gets wet, though, you are gonna be hurtin'. Integral Designs are made in Canada, I believe, and they know what cold weather is.

Ken
05-25-2003, 07:01 AM
I would check wiggys.com for a good, light sleeping bag. I think his ultralight 20 degree long bag is around 4lbs. It's a little heavier than down but compresses well and will work when wet. He has some interesting reading on his site as well.

Joe M
05-25-2003, 07:53 AM
Bone doc, How can you be hunting goats on Kodiak when it is permit only and the lottery hasn't been done yet? Is there something I need to know about? I love to hunt goats.

Yukon Hunter
05-26-2003, 07:37 AM
Jim T-
What about The North Face Cat's Meow? It comes in a long version, weighs less than 3lbs., and can be had for less than $150.00.
As for outerwear- hey, I know others here shun the use of fleece, but I LOVE it. It's warm for the weight, comfortable, and dries very quickly if it gets wet. I've got a pair of Canadian Army fleece pants, with a nylon-type material on the butt and knees, that I wouldn't trade for anything.

Levi
05-27-2003, 01:49 PM
Yukon Hunter, My wife uses North Face's Catwalk sleeping bag and loves it. I believe her bag is almost identical to the Cats Meow. Both use Polarguard insulation and are rated to 20 above.
Last winter we camped out and the weather was chili, but not quite freezing(based on the observation that the water in the tipi didn't freeze). She slept very comfortably. I had a Wiggys bag rated to the same 20 above and froze. My bag is almost a pound heavier than hers to boot.
I am sure that my Wiggys bag is much more durable than hers. I also know it seems easier to clean up after getting dirty. However, for the price, weight, and my wife's hardy endorsement(she's got to be the coldest blooded person alive) I'd say it'd be hard to beat the North Face Cats Meow. You'll have to give us a field review of whatever bag you decide on getting once you've used it and let us know your thoughts. Good Luck!
Levi