PDA

View Full Version : KU Koala for Binos/Rangefinder

Take-a-knee
06-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Has anyone played with this, if so, what did you carry and how well did it function?

sab
06-09-2011, 12:35 PM
T-a-k:

I carried my 10x42 Geovids in my Koala all last season. I used no neck strap on them. I set them in objective-lenses-down, favored to the left side of the main compartment. I have an REI thermometer on the zipper pull so that I can open them in a hurry. At times, I just left the top of the compartment open for quick access to the glasses. I've been pretty happy with this setup.

Regards,
Scott

chippewawarrior
06-12-2011, 03:35 PM
I have a HPG Kit Bag, and I carry both my rangefinder and my binoculars in my chest rig while gun hunting. It's fine for me, a bit too bulky for my liking while bowhunting but I manage. I can only assume the larger Koala can do the same, maybe even better.

Conrad
06-15-2011, 08:41 PM
I have the KU Koala specifically. I Like the concept, and I will be able to fit a lot of quick access type gear into it. I plan on having GPS, fire starter, snacks, head lamp, pistol and binos in it. Not sure if I"m pushing it with pistol and binos......I really think carrying the pistol on the chest is the best place for quick access and concealment. I haven't decided if it will get in the way with archery. I'm going to hike with it this weekend. With all of this said the one thing that concerns me with the KU Koala is that it seems a bit noisy. My KU packs seem quiet enough, but it seems that whatever material is used for the padding and then the white liner creates a more "crackly" affect. I'm going to give it some time, but this was my initial impression. I have a regular Koala coming with my military slick express so I'll be comparing by about July. I like the smaller design of the HPG Kit bag, but am not sure if I could carry both my Glock 20 and a pair of binos in it. Chippewawarrior could you comment on this?

The other part of me wonders if I could get by without a chest rig, and simply run a bino harness and put my pistol some where else. Decisions, decisions....

COShunter
06-16-2011, 09:31 AM
Conrad: I use a chest holster from SimplyRugged.com for my G32 and it worked well with my old pack. Lowered holster, and used with Binos on neck strap. Think it is now called a chesty holster. Now that I have LH, looking for other ways to carry. Concealment in not my highest concern, comfort and access is. Hope this helps. Looking forward to your assessment of KU Koala and regular Koala. Have a great weekiend

Conrad
06-18-2011, 09:53 PM
Hiked around a few miles in the mountains today with KU3700 and KU Koala. Had the G20, fire starting equip, flash light, head lamp, compass, snacks and a dog leash in the Koala. I still had plenty of room in it, and I could carry the binos in there too, but in order to keep the weight down some I figured out that my 8x43 Pentax DCF SP's fit perfectly in a KU belt pocket...NICE! Koala performed well. Still getting used to it, but well made and the handiness of any well made chest rig is appreciated once you start using it and reaching for stuff. Pretty warm today, so chest rigs definitely retain the heat. I will say that once the KU Koala is loaded it does not seem to be as "crackly" as I had noted in the above post. I was hesitant to even post that above simply because it is a good product and I don't want to deter anyone, just something I noted. Load it up and it seems better. I'll compare further once I get the military version in. I like the versatility of it with a hip belt. I also have a HPG chest rig coming which looks very efficient. I do a lot of gear buying and comparing, knowing that some of it will be returned or sold at a discount to others. I find it not too big of a deal because good gear is easy to sell. I definitely don't hoard gear, if i'm not using it and I've settled on what is best for me, I move it along to typically a grateful fellow outdoorsman.

Take-a-knee
06-19-2011, 12:27 PM
Thanks Conrad. Which belt pocket/possibles pouch do you carry your binos in? I have that same binocular.

Conrad
06-19-2011, 04:29 PM
The KU belt pouch.

http://kifaru.net/KU_beltpouch.html

Looks like it does not fit non-KU packs though.

wolfmen
06-21-2011, 01:18 AM
I use KU belt pouh with my military omni belt . It seem no problem. I will try to upload some pic later.

chippewawarrior
06-21-2011, 07:17 AM
Conrad, I tried my duty gun (S&W M&P .40cal) with my binos (Swarovski EL 8x32), and they do not fit inside the HPG kit bag at the same time in any useful manner.

Conrad
06-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Good to know. Evan sent me some pics showing his pistol and some form of 8x32's I believe fit in the bag, granted you did say in a usable fashion. With all that said though since I've found my 8x43 Pentax's to fit perfectly in a belt pouch I think I'm worry free on how to carry my gear and will like the slimmer profile chest kit.

Good to know the KU belt pouches fit a regular omni belt....I thought they would, but Kifaru says differently.