PDA

View Full Version : late season pack

imported_Al
05-22-2003, 08:11 PM
will the late season be carry on compatible? Have the top and bottom zippers? Have the removable military style waist belt? Any other specs?

Patrick
05-23-2003, 05:21 AM
Al--

Yes, yes, and yes. Other specs are, it'll have fleece panel and come with hunter style GunBearer. Oh yes, and will have airline ticket pocket like SpikeCamp. You can make it a Complete too. All and all, it'll be accessorizable just like the rest of the hunting line but is a new gap-filling size and has handy high-low zippers and a downright spectacular suspension system for this size category of backpack. The philosophy behind it focuses on a very large "daypack" that'll serve... no not just serve... will EXCEL at light and compact two/three day penetrations into the backcountry, and then ALSO excel at bringing out the bacon, especially LOTS of heavy bacon. Got it?

Patrick

imported_Al
05-23-2003, 03:50 PM
Patrick, thanks for the info. Is there a restriction on torso size for this pack? I am a 5'7" short legged critter.

Patrick
05-23-2003, 05:47 PM
Al--

Nope. We can fit you just fine.

Nevada Dan
05-24-2003, 08:29 AM
Patrick,

Any production dates? Pack weight, etc.?Dan

Patrick
05-24-2003, 10:11 AM
Hey Dan--

Very good questions. We don't have the exact weight, as we haven't had time to sew the first one up yet! Which perhaps illustrates why I can't say exactly when we'll be in production. I will notify you here when we get the weight and photos and description and so forth up on the site. I imagine Maggie will put it on the Home page in fact. As to when the first units will roll out...I'm estimating July. Back to weight, it should be significantly less than a Pointman.

Nevada Dan
05-24-2003, 05:30 PM
Patrick, Thanks. Now, if my knee would start cooperating, that would make for a great summer. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif
This getting old isn't supposed to happen until I'm in my eighties!

Patrick
05-24-2003, 09:10 PM
Hey Dan, I know how old you really are and am here to tell you I've had a "knee" since about that age and am still out there. Like the Nike commercials tout, "just do it!" Yeah, really. And I know you well enough to know that you're not about to roll over. So there, take that.

BobG
05-24-2003, 10:54 PM
Patrick, maybe you should start a new board dedicated to all us old geezers still carrying your packs around. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

05-25-2003, 11:26 AM
anybody,

Every once in a while the age thing comes up here. I've always been a believer that there are two kinds of age; chronological and state of mind. So far I've been able to live more in the state of mind, but as time goes on there are a few things popping up that make me more aware of my chronology ... knee, shoulder, those ribs I broke 20 years ago that poke out of my chest, etc. I was hoping that somebody could give me a deffinition of geezer. Patrick mentioned something about the difference between geezer and codger, so I'm hoping for something on that too.

Now don't missunderstand me here. I don't want to slot myself ... just want a reference point ... I'm going to live in the state of mind for as long as I can. I'm hoping that will help me out when I'm "over the hill" ... whenever that comes into play.

Patrick
05-26-2003, 06:31 AM
BobG--

Ho! Perhaps something along the lines of The Geezer Gallery? Ah, tempting...on the other hand we might just stay in position among the pups--motivating them along, eh? Of course I'm just foolin' about that. I've met several of our more youthful correspondents and can happily report the future of on-foot hunting is in good hands. They're a tough lot, including brother Daniel. Not that you, me, Vern, boone, et al, are dropping out anytime soon. I plan on hoofing it, under load, into my 80's, certainly. Should the time come I truly can't tote everything I really need for a solo backcountry hunt I'll fetch a few pack goats. Or maybe try to entice some of these youngsters to come along and carry some of The Geezers' stuff? <grin>

<boone>--

I'd say that talk here about "geezerdom" is pure playfulness. And so was my arbitrary "progression" from Geezerhood to Codgerhood--I imagine the dictionary lists them as synonyms. Reference point? Vern announced his entry into the hallowed ranks of geezers when he turned 60. Sound good enough? Those of us in the late fifties are "crowding" it, OK? It is assumed that we are still out there moseying under our own steam after critters large and small. And that's the important thing, and goes to the heart of your excellent comments about state of mind. Despite the accumulated, inevitable dings from a life in the wilds some of us choose to keep at it, on foot and under load, not in a fancy lodge. It is sure enough a toughness of mind, aided by plain old smarts derived from experience, better gear, and the long knowledge that pain won't kill us.

05-26-2003, 01:25 PM
Patrick,

Thanks for the estimated threshold. I've still got a few miles to go before I hit the city limits of Geezerville. BTW, hanging out with the youngsters does help keep you young and fit ... in body and mind. I learn as much from my kids and thier friends as I do from my peers and elders ... it's a changing world we live in ... adapt or die.

boone

05-27-2003, 04:46 PM
Patrick-Yea verily on geezers and codgers. One can either do it or sit around and complain that it hurts to do it. My spike camp and I cover a lot of ground and a fair amount of vertical footage, and it tends to produce some aches and pains. I can either focus on the pain and have a lousy time, or I can focus on the beauty and greatness of the Colorado mountains and enjoy being alive.

They (the ubiquitous they) say you should listen to your body. Well, sometimes you just have to say to your body, "Shaddup!"

BobG
05-27-2003, 08:28 PM
I have a Longhunter left knee and a spikecamp right knee.
Pretty much decided if it won't fit in my spike camp it will just take more trips to get all the meat back.....

jdb3
06-03-2003, 09:32 AM
Patrick, Maybe we should get a Geezer team together and join the Eco Challenge. We could all use Kifaru gear. I can just see us now, out chasing the Playmate team. We may not win, but I bet we could do much better at navigating than some of those teams in the last Challenge. I know Bob can read a compass as good as anyone I know. Jim

Nevada Dan
06-03-2003, 07:17 PM
I'm enjoying this immensely! /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif This is one fireman that can't see is belt buckle anymore and is worried that he'll soon loose sight of his toes! Good luck on the Geezer Eco Team.

Patrick
06-03-2003, 08:43 PM
Howdy guys--

Yeah, I'm enjoying this discussion too. A playful digression into the trials and triumphs of Geezerdom. I have a Spike Camp right knee and a LongHunter left knee myself. Still, there are lots of times I just say shaddup! to that right knee. Aspirin and Ibuprofin are must-haves in my old Possibles Pouch. And plenty of glucosomin/chondroitin. As for chasing the chicks in an eco-challenge race, I'll bet we can beat 'em! They can chase us. Nobody can contour a ridge and sneak thru tough country like an experienced geezer! I don't know how these "races" work--never really seen one on the ol' TV--but if there were ever a "race" where the teams are just turned loose to get from point A to point B and are completely self-contained insofar as grub, sleeping, navigation, shelter and such are concerned I'd bet a team of us older hunters can do a very credible job of it. How about it--is that how these things work? Probably not, I'm thinking. The organizers must have a set course--if for no other reason than so the cameramen can shoot the Playgirls whizing by--and everybody probably has to assemble at official "checkpoints", right? Can't shoot grouse along the way for the pot either I'm thinking. If there are bears enroute you just grin at 'em and try to outrun 'em, eh? No guns allowed. Sounds pretty...citified, tame, but then I'm just guessing 'cause as I've said I don't know a dang thing about how they really are conducted. So maybe us guys should put on a REAL backcountry "race". Point A to point B. 300 miles. Teams start with whatever they think they need, no resupply. First team to point B wins. Setting in Alaska. Sure, all Kifaru gear. Team Kifaru. Whaddaya think, men?

Kevin
06-03-2003, 09:19 PM
That sounds like fun. Patrick, you bring the 358 Rambler for the bears, and I'll bring the 270 to reach out and touch someone. With a couple more of the boys from this message bd, we'd be pretty darn good at that.

jdb3
06-04-2003, 07:34 AM
Now we're talking. Bob and I are always going north and spending several weeks chasing caribou. We may not be fast but we are steady! I'm ready too. Jim

jdb3
06-04-2003, 07:35 AM
I forgot, we could make it a requirement that you live off the land and have to carry the moose or caribou meat you shoot with you. Maybe make it a requirement to carry at least 65 pounds of meat at all times. Jim

06-04-2003, 02:00 PM
How old do you have to be to qualify as a geezer?

Ed

Kevin
06-04-2003, 04:35 PM
I am not sure how old you have to be to be called a geezer, but Groucho Marx once said you were only as old as the woman you feel.

jdb3
06-05-2003, 07:09 AM
Well, if you feel like the 70's were just yesterday, you are a geezer. If you partook of the pleasures of the 60's you are definately a geezer. Does that help? For the rest of you that fondly remember the 50's - I will not even comment. Jim

06-05-2003, 02:26 PM
Hi All

Thanks for clearing the geezer thing up for me. I was afraid I might not qualify. Since the 60's seem like yesterday I guess I'm in. Wouldn't want to miss the geezer challenge.

If any of you guys ever did want to ramble for 300mi. in Alaska I would quit what I was doing at the time and show up. One thing about being a geezer is my prioraties are in order. Keep talking it's getting good.

Ed

Patrick
06-05-2003, 06:59 PM
What a hoot this Geezer thing is. We have the Decade Remembrance aspect. I confess that I grew up in the fifties (waaaaay back, eh?). And had a grand time learning about hunting, cars, girls. TV showed up at our house in '56, when I was already 13 years old. You can consider me a pre-television specimen. Must be why I'm so warped. The 60's, ahh the 60's. It's a wonder those of us who were there survived. And yes, the 70's DO seem like yesterday (a dead giveaway that I'm a geezer, eh Jim?).

And now we have the Geezer Ramble shaping up. Hot dang! I'm proud of you guys. I do believe many of you would actually show up and sally forth on just such an adventure! How 'bout a traverse of the North Slope of the Brooks Range? Four men. One 8-man tipi with large stove. Kevins .270 and my .358 and ? and ? for the other two ramblers. Some featherweight fishing gear. Plentiful small game loads for the hordes of ptarmigan up there. Big game loads too, though not so many. Some cooking oil, spices, a small amount of bisquit fixin's and maybe a carryable supply of cous-cous or something equaly lightweight. A bit of hard cheese and salami. Geeting across the rivers is a problem. I've recently heard of very lightweight inflatable "floats" and wet suits. Perhaps one or two sets--which can be draglined back across the stream for the others to use. Eat caribou, ptarmigan, grayling, arctic hare...ahhhh, life would be very, very sweet.

The "race" aspect retreats in importance when contemplating the sheer joy of just being there, doing it. But, I suppose several "teams" could depart at different times. Some could start west, others east. So long as navigation is up to the teams I doubt they'ed bump into each other. One team may hug the mountains, another stay further out on the tundra. Etc. Yeah, Ed C, it is fun to kick this around. And I dare say the Playgirl Team would have a hard time beating us Geezers. They most likely don't know one end of a rifle from the other. Or, generally, how to just...ramble. They would be way out of any element they know. Hey! We're not too geezerish to contemplate "rescuing" 'em are we? Nah. Part of the geezer creed is that we are still running on ALL cylinders. Yahoo.

Tyde
06-16-2003, 11:21 AM
Maggie,
When is the expected time for the pictures of the "Lateseason" to be up on the board. I must be losing it as I get older. I never used to buy something unless I could at least touch it. Kifaru changed that. Now it seems that I'm buying stuff sight unseen (Ordered one last week). Buy the way, love my "Rondy". Everyone at the shop has seemed to bend over backwards to get the job done.

Good Luck and Good Hunting

Tyde

Tyde
06-25-2003, 03:23 PM
Kifaru Gang,
Saw the pictures of the "Late Season" today. Looks great. I can't wait to see mine (ordered without even seeing it). I had a question about the bottom panel. Does it have the 4 attachment points on the inside like the "Pointman", so you can attach a pouch to the inside on the bottom? I got the piggy back capabilities on mine and the revers tighten belt. This way I can carry the wife's "Spikecamp" (Still need to order that) on my traveling pack. And I can also cinch that waistbelt down with the 2 to 1 advantage of the reverse belt. Can you retrofit my Rondy belt with the reverse tighten belt?

Hope all is well with you and yours. I will post some pictures when I get them.

Tyde

Dave
06-27-2003, 12:08 PM
Tyde--

Just for the record, Maggies dimensions for the new Siwash and Late Season are NOT correct (talking about the drawings). Apparently she plugged in Spike Camp info whilst "constructing" the new pack website elements and forgot to put in the real ones before going live on the new units. Expect the correct dimensions momentarily. Timberline brought this to my attention in an email.

The Late Season bottom doesn't have the attachment points a la Pointman. We did not expect anyone to be using a military pocket (which has compression straps that can be used for this exact purpose) inside the hunting Late Season. I'm still trying to fathom the extent to which you guys might mix hunting/military components, which has been a surprise in point of fact. Suffice to say that I build the hunting gear with more of an eye to weight/bulk than the military versions (which is NOT to say I disregard this on the military packs!). And it DOES add weight and bulk to do the same things to the hunting packs. Ditto the reverse-pull waistbelt strap the military packs have. (BTW, the military packs have that feature because of the difficulty one has pulling outwardly to cinch the waistbelt whilst wearing a chest rig.) But it takes considerably more webbing and two large "common loops" to make it work. So I decided to NOT add this weight to the hunting pack line. Twenty-year-old soldiers can tote the extra weight better than we old huntin' folk. Get it? And if you learn to brace your hand (or thumb) against the belt you can get the belt just as tight as the military way. Anyway, that's the operating rational at present. If y'all want to see more military features on the hunting packs keep singing out and it WILL happen. Meanwhile, Tyde, do you want us to put the military pocket attachment points in the bottom of your Late Season? I should ask if you HAVE any of the military pockets. Otherwise whatever you put in the bottom will stay put, guaranteed. And just send in your Rendezvous waistbelt if you want us to retrofit it for the reverse tightening method. Expect about a two-three ounce bump in pack weight. A little more than an ounce for the bottom attachment loops in the Late Season.

I think that's it, amigo. Sure do enjoy your posts. Oops! I'm writing this from the office and it looks like our Dave laid down a post from here earlier. The upshot is that I see his name as the "poster" on the form here, and can't seem to figure out how to change the name. Not wishing to start over I'll just alert you that this is NOT Dave, it's

PATRICK

Tyde
06-27-2003, 02:13 PM
Patrick,
as always a pleasure to talk to you also. Yes, I would like the 4 attachment points in the bottom of my "Lateseason" and could you add a "Vertical Lash Kit" in coyote brown to my order as well. I would like to attach my travel sleeping bag there. I understand the extra weight issue, and am more than willing to add these items to my rucks. I am sure that as I approach geezerdom I will be much more conserned about the ounces, but for now a few ounces are worth the convience. I will just bring less food and hunt harder to make up for it (or in this case work harder). Let Maggie know I was happy to see the pics of my pack, dimenssion problems or not. I noticed that as well (occupational hazard), but figured your crew had enough on their plate to deal with, and didn't need correcting something that they were nice enough to put up.

Tyde

Patrick
06-27-2003, 08:24 PM
Tyde--

OK, you got it. And Maggie appreciates your kindness.

Patrick