PDA

View Full Version : 2011 Northwest Rondy

Bushcraft
06-07-2011, 12:05 AM
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/Northwest%20Rondy%202011/2011NorthwestRondy-1.jpg

As you are all aware, the Northwest Contingent has the sometimes dubious distinction of being the first and only entirely self-propelled major Kifaru Rondy. Unfortunately, after all these years, the combination of hectic schedules and unusually deep snow in the backcountry has finally forced our collective hand.

And so, with much deliberation, consternation and a reluctant dose of procrastination on my part, the decision has been made to have....a....(sigh)....I can barely bring myself to utter the words....

...a car camp (gasp!) for this year's Northwest Rondy. And, as it turns out, sadly it will be sans Patrick since he'll be with family in Yellowstone. We'll miss you compadre!

Barring any further major outrage, the rondy will be held July 15th-17th.

On a positive note, the location is easy to drive to (assuming the snow drifts will have mostly melted by then) and should afford plenty of room to spread out camp(s), with a remarkably stunning backdrop of the nearby snowclad mountains complete with elk, mountain goats and maybe, just maybe, if our gentle woodland creatures should make their presence known, a few sasqui.

A HUGE almost entirely mosquito-free meadow located nearby will allow us to shoot out to 400 yards without disturbing camp, with the option to shoot out to 1000+ in real-world mountainous conditions. I will be bringing my shooting tree and a collection of other steel plates for handgun and plinker rifle fun. There's a good source of water for camp use, though filtering or bringing plenty of drinking water is highly recommended. There is plenty of wood to fuel a genuine chainsaw fed white-man inferno - Kevin's preferred cooking fire and Evan's preferred means of maintaining a healthy periphery between the camp proper and the intimidating legions of hairy bipedals lurking...beyond.

More details and fun to follow.

snakey2
06-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Even though it will be a (gasp) motorized rondi and it will be without Patrick I am looking forward to it and plan to be there. Maybe I can get my wife to come if she doesn't have to walk and there will be no skeeters (like I really believe that last one).

evanhill
06-07-2011, 10:26 AM
We'll be bringing Scot's screen tent so there will be at least one guaranteed mosquito free spot in camp. Car camping does have its perks.

Lab-Roamer
06-07-2011, 11:40 AM
It's almost mid June and you guys still have deep snow?? Wow.

scothill
06-07-2011, 11:42 AM
Actually, it is still snowing in the mountains as of last week when I drove over the pass.

snakey2
06-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Bohemia mountain out near me has lots of snow. The most I have seen at this time of year ever. No wonder Bushcraft threw in the towel and went with a less snowy alternative. At least we don't have to drive the chivos (sp) on foot.

Randy
06-07-2011, 02:21 PM
Tracy & I are in...most likely biggles in tow. ScottH...Gunner can't wait chatting with someone who actually understands the need to bark, bellow and howl:)
See you guys soon.

Question for you all: would you prefer buffalo burgers or do we go all in and do some roasts or stew in a Dutch oven?

Kevin B
06-07-2011, 03:37 PM
There will be as many as 5 KB's, but at least 3KB's attending. Maybe grampa too. If momma is coming, that'll mean 2 screen tents in attendance. She's not a fan of mosquitos and decidedly not buying the salesmanship on the meadow in question.

Randy, i have a very large dutch oven, I think 20 quart. It would easilly hold 3 typical pork or beef roasts. We could serve a small army. I'll bring it along either way.

Definitely plan on wet ground. It's a very high meadow and I'd bet we'll still find snow in the timber when we are there. The meadow and the last mile to the camp could be squishy.

Tracy
06-07-2011, 03:47 PM
I'm hanging my head in shame...a car camp...how embarrassing! Still, Evan is right--car camping has its perks. Not having to limit the load on my back means my typical contribution of assorted desserts will be increased in number compared to previous years. :)

JBR
06-07-2011, 05:09 PM
I'll be in Idaho flyfishing with my boys on our 4th annual trip from July 12-18th. I think I already have every weekend planned from here til November with stuff....sheesh. I was hoping for the weekend before on the 7-10, but no worries. I will need to get out scouting then anyways, as all this snow is crimping the amount of time available to scout up high. Have fun without us on this one.

Bushcraft
06-07-2011, 07:12 PM
It's almost mid June and you guys still have deep snow?? Wow.

This picture was recently taken at Chinook Pass's summit parking area - approximately 5400' elevation. Road crews from the eastside began clearing the pass in April. It is usually open by Memorial Day weekend. There is no reopening date yet for Chinook Pass.

The planned NW Rondy site is almost 600' higher in elevation. Hurry Summer!!!

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/PassSnowDepth22011.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d11/ARE001/Northwest%20Rondy%202011/PassSnowDepth2011.jpg

Bushcraft
06-07-2011, 07:24 PM
Question for you all: would you prefer buffalo burgers or do we go all in and do some roasts or stew in a Dutch oven?

Yes. And, yes.

evanhill
06-07-2011, 07:51 PM
The planned NW Rondy site is almost 600' higher in elevation. Hurry Summer!!!

Perhaps a backup plan needs to include something further east and down in the Ponderosa zone. Umtanum, Taneum, Manastash... all good drainages with a fair amount of secluded drive up country.

Bushcraft
06-07-2011, 08:03 PM
Never a bad idea to have a backup plan.

That said, I'm pretty confident that the Plan A site will work out since it doesn't get hammered nearly as bad as the Crest.

This nearby Snotel site is at 4,610' and, according to the sensors, the snow depth has coming down 16" in the past 7-8 days. http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/cgibin/snotel/snotelday2.pl?site=375&station=21c38s&state=wa&report=depth

snakey2
06-08-2011, 09:37 AM
What about a ski rondi this summer? Plenty of snow but better weather.

Jason
06-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Carcamping DOES have an upside..............................good bottled beer!! :)

With my new assignment, I'm currently in negotiations to actually have some weekends off in July. Assuming I do, (and the timer doesn't ding on a personal issue I'm dealing with), I'd love to attend this year........FINALLY.

snakey2
06-09-2011, 04:26 PM
I hope you make it Jason. I will bring some "good bottled beer" in addition to the stuff I usually bring that nobody likes.

MikeB.
06-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Count us in for 4. We'll coordinate w/ Randy & Tracy on additional buffalo meat... Mrs. B has developed a buff burger of unparalleled excellence!

Spoke with some gents who've been to the Plan A site in the last two weeks & they report good, mostly dry road from the south approach, & clear meadow.

Snakey, for the record: after a few "good bottled beers", I like the other stuff you bring just fine. ;)

Kevin B
06-12-2011, 10:32 PM
Made my first batch of links today. Chipotle. I'll be doing some other concoction, jerky and landjaeger sometime from here to there. Since this is a car camp I'll have a take home care package for the OR brothers.

Snakey, let me know what you'd like for a care package and we'll trade for the fine brown elixir you bring every year.

There's got to be more NW'rs coming than have replies here? Bueluer?

Big W
06-12-2011, 10:49 PM
Count me in and mabye a friend of mine. I will be bringing a fresh spring of 2011 batch of polish sasuge(elk, deer or bear, i dont know i forgot to label my sausage meat :D ) and a couple growlers of Iron horse Irish Death.

snakey2
06-13-2011, 04:42 PM
So far it is just me some "tonic", beer, smoked salmon logs (was a good year for salmon and I still have some to left smoke) and probably elk fajitas. Haven't convinced my wife that it is as bug free as touted. I think Caitlin and Chris are coming though.

Randy
06-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Buff burgers are fantastic as earlier reported...that said we sampled some awesome kabobs last nite and that's a no utensil, zero cleanup dinner par excellance!

Wonder Mutt
06-20-2011, 10:40 PM
Caitlin and I are going! Wondering how many half cases of Black Butte and Shock Top we can cram into the trunk of my Tiburon along with the less important things like camp gear, of course. Maybe the 12 year bottle of Ardmore Single Malt that I ordered will find its way into my pack as well. I'd sure as heck rather spend my 30th with you all than in town doing homework.

Dan97526
06-21-2011, 05:44 PM
Finally, a Rondy I can make! Count me in for one+dog, if dogs are welcome. I have a SuperCrew truck, so I can take on passengers coming from the Oly-Seattle corridor if anyone wants to ride along. I will also bring my Dutch ovens and make biscuits.

Bushcraft, are you still shooting a Glock 20? I still have the magazines and components I offered to give you about a decade ago.

snakey2
06-22-2011, 09:53 AM
Dogs have been welcome at all of the earlier ones. To hell with Bushcraft and his Glock 20 but I shoot one! Bushcraft are you still interested in my older reloading manuals? If so I'll bring them with me. Looks like you might make out well at this one.

Jason
06-27-2011, 03:07 PM
Well, I just found out today (still at work) that I'm screwed again this year. My two co-workers are already either taking weekends off or on vacation during those dates, so I'm SOL---------again! The only good news is that with my new assignment I'll never have trouble making any winter rondys.

If anyone ever wants a mid-weed Rondy (Mon-Wed) in my neck of the woods let me know. The snow's finally melting off a little, and there's some beautiful country to explore.

Patrick
06-27-2011, 04:28 PM
This will be my first no-show, and I deeply regret that. Having been a fellow rambler from the very first Kifaru Great Northwest Rendezvous--the famous "Bushwhack This!" adventure--there are an infinity of things I will miss about not joining you for this iteration--which must be something like #7 or #8.

(Is it too much to ask for someone to send me a private video of Kevin B's last-night soliloquy? It's always a class act combining keen intelligence and hilarious wit.)

I'll ask that someone take names and addresses of all Rendezvouers and send them to me so that Kifaru staff can produce 2011 hats and get them back out to you. (Unfortunately I won't get one! Wow, that hurts!) Also, y'all settle on this year's "theme" for the hats--either on-site (like the unanimous First Year) or put the contending themes up here on the Message Board afterwards for discussion leading to consensus (great fun, and will give me a sense of what I missed).

Have a grand time fellow Rendezvouers! I will back in your midst next year!

Patrick

Randy
06-27-2011, 10:20 PM
Patrick,

It won't be the same without you, but we have a quality group of men and women in the NW that will carry on the tradition and have a grand time doing it! KevinB is already claiming that he will only be running on 120V this trip, not his normal 440V...we'll all believe that when we see it.
The beagles will be making this trip again and will miss your praise and gentle hands on the floppy 'liver steak' ears. Have fun with your family and we'll see you again soon my friend!

Bushcraft
06-28-2011, 09:15 PM
Patrick,

I'll certainly echo Randy remarks. Per our offline conversations regarding the unfortunate and bungled timing of this year's NW gathering, I'll definitely miss not being able to share a good walk through the woods and some Jameson's around a campfire with you this year. What will the world come to without our having decided upon a solution set for nearly all of the world's ills?

Randy,

Bring those resoled Kenetreks. After all, it wouldn't be right if we didn't stop and swap boots for a while. ;) Oh yeah...bring plenty of rounds for that new pea-shooter of your's. We'll have to take a little walk and practice shooting at some extreme angles for our upcoming trip. Somebody's got to help Kevin and Hand-Rail put whatever they've shot out of it's misery. Uh-hmm...can you say sub-80 days?

Dan,

Glad to hear you can make it. Yep, still toting the G20 on occasion and still interested in your wares. See you there!

Snakey/Connoisseur,

Yessir. I am all about making out well, regardless of venue. ;) So bring on the manuals and whatever brownish elixer you think is worthy! The amberliquidophile will relish a pull or two of the former, and the bibliophile in me will enjoy comparing the old loads with the new. Not to mention that my wife will appreciate any additional data points that will help me from becoming a sad and preventable statistic. Congrats on the Owyhee draw BTW.

Jason & JBR,

Bah! That's just a damn shame that you can't make it up for this one! Again, no less! If it's any consolation, it's just going to be a comfortable car camp and won't necessarily include any nocturnal off-trail death-march infills or exfills, or the need to saddle KevinB with any additional dead-weight in the form of yearling whitetail venison chops and/or sausage, or Tracy with any yummy desserts, for your consumption. At least your lack of attendance won't put you off your strict fall-hunting fitness regiments.

KevinB,

If you don't make that Paella that you made for C and I, I'll be forced to attempt it myself and then blame the potentially less than stellar results on your crappy recipe. That paella, my friend, has Dutch Oven Goodness written all over it! Uh-hmm...can you say sub-80 days???

Anyone Else That's Interested In Coming,

Please let it be known if you can make it. Destination details will be forthcoming.

snakey2
06-29-2011, 10:14 AM
Patrick sad to hear you won't be there, you will be missed. Bushcraft books, booze and bullets will be forthcoming. Elk fajitas too. I am also looking forward to what Kevin B produces when he doesn't have to carry it all on his back (maybe a full keg). Looking forward to seeing everyone again!

disillusionedpatriot
06-29-2011, 01:03 PM
I'm not sure I'll have time to make it. The trail reports I've been reading tell me I can't even get to some places I want/need to get to before hunting season yet, so the few weekends left will be precious.

Kevin B
06-29-2011, 03:34 PM
Bush
I won't have my Paella sullied by a stranger. If it's going to be ruined by overcooking/undercooking or other campfire created offense, I'll be the one to do it. As we near time give me a head count. BTW, any concern about road conditions and snow pack for the location? I'm wondering if our "meadow" looks more like a combo ice rink/duck pond about now/then.

Snakey
Don't think for a second I haven't thought about it. I'll be pretty jammed into the car with the full family coming though so a keg is probably out. Did I just say that?

Randy
That was close, I think I said I'd still have a 200 amp service but I'd only be drawing 100 amps. I'm aghast that you don't believe me! Tough crowd, or smart one.

Patrick
It's a real disappointment that you can't make it. I'm bringing the entire brood this year, including my far better half. I'll hope to do the same next year. There will be more than one moment of reflection on your laughing your way off of your game cart chair last year. There's a series of very, very fond memories of these events and you'll be missed this year.

Randy
06-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Current road/location report is good via Mike last week. A couple of folks he knows have been up on top and report clear roads and a fairly snowless prairie. I'll try to get out this weekend for a drive and check things out...can't get to the local golden trout pond because of the stellar Cascade spring we've had so far!

Bushcraft
06-29-2011, 09:27 PM
Kevin,

The road conditions and snow pack will be fine. Your wife will appreciate helping you put chains on your vehicle in the middle of summer.

There will be no mosquitos at that altitude along the mostly sheltered ridgetop.

There's plenty of hauling capacity in my 1 ton truck for your keg(s).

One good sized pot of paella for the group and another for me should do.

These aren't the droids you are looking for.

P.S - K is your better 7/8ths. At least.

snakey2
06-30-2011, 09:55 AM
Anyone bringing a microwave?

Bushcraft
07-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Thom,

I'm pretty sure my cousin has one in his new fifth wheel. Kitchen sink too. To that end, maybe we can get him to do the so-called woman's work. I'm stating it that way because I know Tracy is usually armed to the teeth and I have a particularly strong aversion to getting shot. ;)

I'm still trying to find the perfect matched set of Lazy-Boy recliners, sofa and love-seat on Craigslist. I mean really, we're car camping. Might as well do it up right. Besides, it will give Scot a real good opportunity to burn some "one-way" camp gear. :)

Allen

medic16
07-05-2011, 01:06 PM
Looks like I will be able to attend this one. Every other time it has been held I had to go to Army training. Plan is to bring my father-in law and brother-in law. Was curious if any one was planning to bring a Tipi along? My father-in law really wants to see one before he places the order for one. We have between the 3 of us a few Kifaru packs.
G1 ZXR, Zulu, Marauder, Scout, and a few acessories.

evanhill
07-05-2011, 01:08 PM
I'm guessing there will be a 6, at least one 8, and a couple of 12s.

Randy
07-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Speaking for Tracy and I, we'll have a 6-man, Mike and his crew will have their 8-man. If you want I can bring a Para-tipi to demo as well.

medic16
07-05-2011, 11:58 PM
Randy - That would be great to see a paratipi. I have been thinking about getting one for Army training.

Ed C
07-06-2011, 03:53 PM
Is the location secret or are you going to send me directions?:confused:

SuperBadger
07-06-2011, 04:33 PM
Unfortunately I am going to have to bow out this year. Starting a new job on Monday, and I'll likely be spending the weekend fixing and organizing equipment. Hope everyone has fun! I look forward to seeing the photos.

DWP
07-06-2011, 10:52 PM
I can't make it this year, again... Will be flying home from my in-laws on that Saturday night. Living vicariously through pictures once again.

Bushcraft
07-06-2011, 11:49 PM
Big 5th wheel with microwave, sink, etc. is out.

By my count we are at about 30 people thus far. Please chime in or PM me if you are interested in attending. Information on location will be forthcoming in the next couple days to all attendees.

Mr. & Mrs. Bushcraft 2
Kevin B & Family 5
Randy & Tracy 2
Mike & Family 4
Hill Clan 6
Snakey Clan 4
Big W & Friend 2
Dan 1
Medic Clan 3
Ed C 1

oldpinecricker
07-07-2011, 12:04 PM
If there is room I could probably come. About how many drivng hours is this from Spokane?

snakey2
07-07-2011, 01:49 PM
I will be short one as my wife has developed other plans (I think it was the mention of NO mosquitoes and she only hears mosquitoes not the no part). OPC it would be great to see you again and it has got to be closer to Spokane that it is to me.

ps It appears I just lost another one which means the third may not be too far behind. It may only be me this time.

Bushcraft
07-07-2011, 07:18 PM
OPC,

From Spokane you are looking at just a shade over 4 hours, assuming you are keeping your foot out of that Bad Caddy. ;)

Bring some of your long-range plinkers if you decide to make it over.

Allen

Tracy
07-08-2011, 03:49 PM
Thom,

I'm pretty sure my cousin has one in his new fifth wheel. Kitchen sink too. To that end, maybe we can get him to do the so-called woman's work. I'm stating it that way because I know Tracy is usually armed to the teeth and I have a particularly strong aversion to getting shot. ;) ...

Allen

Allen, you are so very wise to choose your words so carefully....and you always make me laugh! :D

Planning to bring my new toy: recently replaced (not really replaced, since I declined to trade it in) my 5-shot .357 carry gun with a Springfield sub-compact XD in .40. Soooo tempting to get the .45, but wanted the smaller size for cc. Don't know if it'll ever replace my Sig 220 as my "favorite", but it might come close. It's been a kick in the pants to shoot so far.

Bushcraft
07-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Monday morning bump!

I'm going to start sending out info tonight. I've got those I already mentioned and a few more via PM.

If you would like to come, please let me know via PM if you are planning on attending. Otherwise you'll just have to randomly drive around in the woods listening for gunfire and a whole bunch of people laughing at/with KevinB.

Tracy
07-13-2011, 10:37 PM
First wave of desserts is done. Second wave to be finished tomorrow. I'll have something like four 8x8 pans & four 9X13 pans of various goodies, plus Randy's request for a batch of peanut butter cookies. Looks like we'll have a weekend menu of meat & sugar... ;)

medic16
07-13-2011, 10:44 PM
Just wondering if some of the people going to the NW Rondy are interested in some First Aid training? I have over 12 years experience as an Army medic and in wilderness medicine. I can bring some extra bandages and stuff to play with and also discuss kits and anything else medicine related.

Kevin B
07-14-2011, 12:11 AM
As the person most likely to require care, Allen and Randy would very much like to hear what you have to say. Ok me too, just in case... an unlikely event that I'm the healthy one.

Chipotle sausage. Check
Venison Steaks. Check
Whole family and mountains of "stuff", yeah, check.

Bushcraft
07-14-2011, 12:17 AM
Absolutely! I'd love to learn more about wilderness medicine and I'm certain that a lot of the other attendees would too. Great idea.

See you there!

Allen

evanhill
07-14-2011, 03:49 PM
rolling north

Dan97526
07-14-2011, 08:26 PM
Work is kicking my butt this week. Going to try to come up Saturday morning, but it's iffy. Apologies to all in the event I don't make it.

scothill
07-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Does anyone know if Bushcraft was able to get home alright? I am a bit concerned after his earlier trouble........

:D

snakey2
07-18-2011, 11:28 AM
I don't know but I'm sure, if able, he will chime in just to try and keep the picture of the earlier event out of print.

evanhill
07-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Why do you think he was working so frantically to get himself out of that fix before anyone else showed up? Once anyone else got there, public pictures were a given. Somebody needs to start a "report" thread.

Jason
07-18-2011, 01:59 PM
Photos people!

Randy
07-18-2011, 02:05 PM
Stay tuned...Tracy has a ton of pics, but slow internet speeds. She's in charge of our reports as far as photos.
A grand weekend once again...it was great to see old friends and make a few new ones.
As far as Bushcraft is concerned he was the last guy off the hill, so who's to say what mischief he may have found up there all by himself...

Kevin B
07-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Give a guy a break. Allen made it home just fine, I saw him this morning.

On a completely unrelated note, Christina drove.

Bushcraft
07-18-2011, 02:32 PM
The thing about half-truths is that they are only partly true.

Wanderlustr
07-18-2011, 03:07 PM
A picture is worth a thousand words.

Jason
07-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Sounds like things got "rugged." ;)

snakey2
07-19-2011, 09:41 AM
Rugged wouldn't be the word/words I would use but we could have used you there Jason! The extra brawn would have been helpful and you could have heaped on more abuse while we were at it.