PDA

View Full Version : rifle question

William Clunie
05-21-2003, 12:28 AM
Patrick,
Have you ever thought of putting a "scout style" scope mounting system on your rifles? (the Jeff Cooper type, with extended eye relief capabilities).
I also just read that your two daughters are getting married! Congratulations!! Hunting son-in-laws of course.
William (no turkey yet)

05-31-2003, 12:11 PM
That's a great idea mount em on the barrel. Then the more barrels you have the more scopes you have.

Cooter

Patrick
05-31-2003, 12:35 PM
William--

Oops! Looks like I somehow plumb missed your post on this subject...'til Cooter posted and brought it back to the top. And thanks for the congrats re my chicas. Both future sons-in-law are under tutelage as we speak. And they can shoot! (just like them daughters).

As to the Cooper-style scope, no I've never been a fan, even tho I'm an obvious devotee of lightweight and handy rifles. I muchly prefer one scope to multiples if I have to carry them (or buy them).

William Clunie
06-09-2003, 08:16 AM
The QD (quick detach) feature on my scope mount (Leupold) takes care of the "multiple scope problem." I enjoy the extended eye-relief sighting of the scope, and can use it on any other rifle or barrel.

Patrick
06-09-2003, 09:27 AM
Hey William--

Good point. Still, there's just not enough metal left in Rambler barrels to do it. It's a one-scope, move-the-click-adjustments deal.

Sgathak
06-09-2003, 02:43 PM
What about a rail that extends out over the barrel from the mount points on the reciever? If it connected to the front and rear scope mount points it would have sufficent strength to extend out and over without ever actually touching the barrel itself. This would allow for the barrel to still be removed and not need 5 scopes ready for one hunt.

Only issue I could see would be people thinking that their sight picture/targeting would remain the same from one barrel to the next. Though this seems to be an education issue (to me anyway)

I have a simple line drawing I could email on the idea if the text doesnt make sense.

me
06-09-2003, 11:42 PM
There is enough metal left on a rambler barrel to attach a mount, But it would certainly be a custom job. The greater advantage of a scout style mounting would be the accuracy, especialy on a rifle were the barrel is removed from the reciever. Part of the theory behind marrying the barrel to the scope in a scout arrangement is to eliminate variables that can cause inacuracy, much like bedding a stock.

William Clunie
06-10-2003, 03:14 AM
Patrick,
If you havn't already, pick up a Savage rifle in the "Scout" configuration with a scope mounted on it and see for yourself. The scope is mounted on a "rail-type" base that extends out over the barrel. This allows for extended-eye relief, and shooting with both eyes open. You can see what the animal is doing and all that is going on around the animal while taking aim and firing. You have to see it to believe it. It's greatest advantage is in close where a conventional scope only gives you a picture of a minute amount of animal hair. I threaded a .308 round through saplings at 15 yards on a big buck two years ago. I would have a difficult time doing it with a regular scope. You know how it goes-you put your eyes to the scope, get some hair, then lift your eyes off the scope and check on the animal, then site the beast through the scope again only to see close-ups of hair. Hopefully this is not charging brown-bear hair!

Patrick
06-10-2003, 04:48 AM
sgathak--Sure, send drawing.

William--the typical low-end power scope setting for me is two or three power so I see pretty much the whole critter. I reckon the only problem I see with an extension out over the barrel is that it would make the action/stock longer when the rifle is broken down.

Neat conversation, gents.

posimag
06-23-2003, 07:07 PM
Patrick, how thin do you make your barrels?
Do the barrels have a taper to them?

I guess what I am asking is, how thin can you go on the barrel walls and be safe for say a 308 Win base cartage?
See ya, be out of town for a few days.
Thanks in advance,
Posimag

sam stevens
06-24-2003, 01:51 PM
The key to mounting a scout scope on a super thin barrel is to machine the mounting bases into the barrel when you turn it. I have several rifles built like this and is is super slick. Another thing you can do is to machine a back up front sight into the barrel while you are at it. My scout rifles never leave my side. It is super accurate(3/4 inch at 100yds), and totally dependable. I shoot a 2 3/4 power burris scope and have never really wished for more power on big game. The back up iron sights are a great comfort. These rifles are not as light as the ramblers, mine weigh 6.25 with scope, but they are perfectly balanced. If you want any more details let me know. Sam

elmbow
07-10-2003, 03:50 PM
Bought me one of those Savage Scout rifles a few years back and put the Leupold 2x Scout scope on it. I just couldn't get used to it. It's my boy's all around rifle now with receiver sights on it. A good accurate little gun for the $. Pretty sharp kick to it though with full house .308 loads.

Elmbow