PDA

View Full Version : Colorado Backcountry Rendezvous II

Sawtooth
06-05-2011, 10:35 PM
This is a four-mile backpack trip into a wilderness area in central Colorado. It's within easy reach of the Denver Metro area, and is a reasonable drive from the Colorado Springs area. This year's camp location has changed from last year, but it's very close. There's lots to do in the backcountry around our camp, including fishing, hiking, wildlife viewing, or just relaxing in camp. We hope to see you there!

Dates: July 22-23-24, 2011

Please PM me if you plan to attend. Driving and hiking directions will be sent out to interested parties in early July.

30mike06
06-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Hey Sawtooth,
PM sent,
MIke

gonehuntn
06-13-2011, 10:38 PM
I'll be there!

colohunter303
06-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Count me in!

sab
06-15-2011, 03:24 PM
Has anyone heard from Sawtooth since he started this thread? I sent a PM with questions last Monday and haven't heard from him...

Thanks,
Scott

Jon S
06-16-2011, 10:17 PM
I just spent a few days with him in the backcountry, he will get back to folks after he returns from a few family obligations.
It will be fun, I am sad to miss it.

Sawtooth
06-16-2011, 10:28 PM
Has anyone heard from Sawtooth since he started this thread? I sent a PM with questions last Monday and haven't heard from him...

Thanks,
Scott

Scott, et al,

I will PM directions and answer questions when I return home next week. I've been in the backcountry and now have a multi-day road trip ahead of me to tend to some out-of-state family business. Thanks in advance for your patience.

sab
06-17-2011, 08:35 AM
Jon S/Sawtooth:

Thanks for the update. I'm starting to put together a plan for the four of us (me, wife, and two dogs) to attend, pending schedule availability.

Regards,
Scott

sab
06-21-2011, 01:26 PM
Does anyone have any ideas on places to visit in CO or southern WY? I think we're going to head towards CO and maybe a bit into WY on July 16, then make the BC Rondy on the following weekend before heading for home. We're trying to get some ideas on things to see/do. As we'll have our dogs with us, we'd prefer dog-friendly sites. If any of you have ideas, we'd be obliged if you'd send 'em our way.

Thanks,
Scott

Sawtooth
06-25-2011, 09:46 AM
PM with rendezvous info has been sent to all who responded. Hope to see you there!

sab
06-25-2011, 02:56 PM
We'll be there! I'm really looking forward to it!

Scott

Smokepole
06-30-2011, 06:05 AM
Sawtooth, I may be able to attend, please send me the info.

Sawtooth
06-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Smoke, will do. PM on the way.

sab
06-30-2011, 09:09 AM
Smokepole:

If you attend, maybe we can finish our discussion on the Missouri River flooding - or maybe we should both promise not to bring it up. :D

Anyway, despite our differences, I'd be honored to meet you in person!

Scott

MojoSlim
06-30-2011, 09:17 AM
I'm-a be there. Just made sure I'll have that Friday off.

Smoke and sab: I enjoy and appreciate seeing this sort of dynamic on here. The setting aside of differences to find common ground (as evinced from your interactions on other threads outside of the political one) speaks well of both your characters.

I look forward to meeting you all.

Smokepole
06-30-2011, 09:17 AM
It'll be fun if I can make it, just don't ride in on a horse!!!

Sab, that was a joke, the pleasure will be all mine.

LOL.

gonehuntn
07-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Colorado Backcountry Rendezvous II Update:
My son and I hiked in for some fishing this weekend and we surveyed the rondi site. It is a well-suited site with plenty of room, secluded and close proximity to water. There are still some snow drifts covering parts of the trail that are melting, which can make the trek in a bit muddy. However, in a few weeks a lot should be melted off, if not completely gone. Also, make sure you bring some deet. To quote Meriwether Lewis "the musquetoes were exceedingly troublesome." Most importantly, there is a stage 2 burn ban in effect for this particular county. That means no fires, to include wood burning stoves. In case the ban is not lifted be prepared to cook food using an alternative method. (Gas stoves such as Jet Boils are authorized) Sawtooth and Patrick will have limited connectivity for the next few weeks so I will monitor the ban and let you know the situation the week of the rendezvous. However, I doubt it will be lifted anytime soon. If you have never hiked this part of CO you are in for a treat; itís beautiful country! Finally, in case you were wondering, the fishing was outstanding.
Happy Independence Day to everyone!

Herb
07-04-2011, 10:41 AM
Is there any snow near the camp site to keep some stuff cold??

Looks like some fine country!!

I agree, the Missouri River Flooding topic doesn't need to present, I could use a break from it, so could the cabin and farm.

gonehuntn
07-04-2011, 10:48 AM
There are pockets of snow here and there but most will probably be gone by the time we get there. The creek is close and I'd guess the temperature to be in the low 50's. I heard you were bringing some good eats!

Herb
07-04-2011, 11:04 AM
That will work, always nice to have a couple chilled Chubs.

I guess I better start planning my menu, going to have my son along, and he requires lots of food, like most young growing boys. He's looking forward to his first "mountain" trip with Dad.

sab
07-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Sawtooth:

I'm curious - what's the current headcount for this Rondy? Besides Mrs. sab, do you expect any other women?

Thanks,
Scott

MojoSlim
07-11-2011, 03:03 PM
sab:

I PM'd Sawtooth about a week back asking about head-count (so I know how much food to make/bring) and haven't heard back. There was a post in this thread that stated Sawtooth and Patrick have limited internet access, etc. So, I think we may be on our own for group planning, here.

Anyway, barring any huge mishaps, I'll be there, and IF my partner can get her Sunday work schedule squared away, she'll be there, too. So that would be at least one other woman besides Mrs. sab that I can tentatively confirm.

COShunter
07-11-2011, 03:42 PM
gonehuntn:
I sent you a PM.
Thanks

sab
07-11-2011, 04:41 PM
I PM'd Sawtooth about a week back asking about head-count (so I know how much food to make/bring) and haven't heard back. There was a post in this thread that stated Sawtooth and Patrick have limited internet access, etc. So, I think we may be on our own for group planning, here.

MojoSlim - I think you're right. gonehuntn sent me a PM stating that Sawtooth is out ramblin' and will be for most of the time up until the Rondy. Man, I wish I had the time off to ramble like that!

Anyway, barring any huge mishaps, I'll be there, and IF my partner can get her Sunday work schedule squared away, she'll be there, too. So that would be at least one other woman besides Mrs. sab that I can tentatively confirm.

That's definitely promising news! One of the first things Mrs. sab asked me was how many other women would be there. When I told her that there may not be any, she was disappointed, but she's a trooper and still gave me a thumbs up on the trip!

RandallH
07-12-2011, 07:57 PM
Sawtooth,

Please send me the info, I would like to go. I will bring my little buddy Koda. Hopefully you will have some time to show me the finer side of fly fishing. I have yet to learn, so many things ,so little time.

RandallH

gonehuntn
07-12-2011, 09:39 PM
RandallH,

I'm on Omaha on business all week but when I get home I'll PM the details.

Gonehuntn

sab
07-13-2011, 06:16 AM
RandallH/gonehuntn:

I just forwarded Sawtooth's PM to RandallH.

Scott

Sawtooth
07-13-2011, 04:49 PM
sab,

Thanks! I've been in the backcountry all week up to yesterday. Just got back from the general area of the rondy on the southest side of a 13er nearby. LOTS of heavy weather including rain, wind, hail, lightning...you name it. It rained for five hours Tuesday afternoon nonstop. With all of this rain I hope the Stage II fire ban is lifted, but I wouldn't count on it. Everyone...please come prepared to use only gas stoves.

RandallH, it'll be good to have you there! Great!!!

MojoSlim, I'd give you my best guess on a headcount, but it would probably be wrong! Looks like around a dozen or so. My advise is to come prepared to feed only yourself, and then we can all share grub out of that. So any amount you give away will be something you'll no doubt get in return from someone else. Everyone seems to have plenty and we do lots of sharing. NO ONE goes hungry!

Well, I'm back out the door for some more rambling and a trail half-marathon in Beaver Creek (http://www.xterrabeavercreek.com/)on Sunday. FYI, I'll be in the backcountry about nine or so miles southeast of the rondy site starting on Monday, July 18th. I will make my way northwest and should arrive some time late afternoon or early evening on Thursday, July 21st. So, I won't be hiking in either of the two routes I sent all of you.

Hope to see you all at the rondy!

Sawtooth
07-14-2011, 01:10 PM
I have a request:

Does anyone attend the Colorado Backcountry Rondy have a Purcell Trench Grill to bring along? Provided we can have an open fire, I would like to do some side-by-side testing of the Purcell grill alongside a titanium grill I'm currently testing. Thanks in advance!

Sawtooth
07-15-2011, 06:49 PM
IMPORTANT NOTICE! I confirmed today with the Pike National Forest supervisor's office that the Stage II fire ban has been lifted for at least the South Platte Ranger District. The ink wasn't dry when they called me, and the new order has not been disseminated, which will no doubt happen on Monday. So, Kifaru stoves and campfires are good to go at the rendezvous! Yahoo!

MojoSlim
07-16-2011, 08:46 AM
Right On! Great news to hear, Sawtooth!

COShunter
07-17-2011, 07:15 AM
I live in Colorado Springs and will be able to leave Friday morning. Would like to carpool with someone. Anyone going to Rondy Friday from this area? You can PM meand will give/get more info.
Thanks

Sawtooth
07-18-2011, 06:04 PM
Still looking for a Purcell grill. Having one would make my testing complete. Bring one if you have it. Thanks.

Sawtooth
07-18-2011, 06:18 PM
This is my final dispatch prior to the rondy, as I'm headed into the wild at the crack of dawn tomorow, and won't be back until the rondy's over on Sunday. I have a headcount of 19, including significant others and kids. Once again, the USFS Stage II fire ban has been lifted and we're good to go. The weather forecast calls for highs around 65 and lows around 40, with a chance of afternoon storms all week. Normal for that spot. I'll probably make my way over on Thursday afternoon, and Herb and Patrick will no doubt already be there with some assemblage of camp set up. Here's looking forward to meeting up with all of you in the Colorado backcountry!

ozarkrambler
07-18-2011, 08:52 PM
Sawtooth, if nobody brings a grill for you to try out I can send you mine for testing. Let me know when you get back.

Mine is the one with expanded metal grate. Works perfect for fish, and other small goodies.

In fact me and the tribe cooked some brookies on it at the beaver ponds you will be camping near later this week.

Ozark