PDA

View Full Version : KU 3700 going to Ukraine as carry on

DocGP
06-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Not much of a test....stinking Austrian Air has enstated an 8 kilo maximum carry on weight....... All my carry on type bags weigh 10 lbs empty. Was almost to the point of using Wal Mart baggies (yeah, you might be a red-neck) when I thougth of my KU 3700. It is about a third full with my 17 lbs in it, but squishes down small. Won't be any strain on the bag though as I will mostly be packing it in the over head compartment.

Will see if it gets any stange looks from Ukrainian customs officers.

Doc

davesuvak
06-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Doc, smart idea. How long are the stays in your 3700? I will be traveling to Russia this summer and plan to take one of my Kifaru packs as carry on. I wasn't considering my 3700 because it has the 24" stays which exceed the length allowed on some airlines.

BuckarooMedic
06-02-2011, 11:26 PM
Dang, "eight kilos"? Even Ryanair allows 10 kilos carry-on. Of course, that's ALL you're allowed . . . I usually use my Marauder as my carry-on. Hasn't let me down yet. Now there's an idea, a KU Marauder!

I would seriously double check with Austrian Air and see what their carry-on luggage size limits are. The KU3700 seems pretty big to be carry-on "legal". The only place in Europe that I've actually had Ryanair check the size of carry-on gear was here in Germany. Everywhere else they don't care. I've heard that the Austrians are sticklers for the rules too. Just FYI.

Have a good trip.

larryschwartz
06-03-2011, 07:10 AM
davesuvak,

It's only carrying 17 pounds if soft stuff, he could take the stays out and still be able to use it to carry his clothes and stuff to and from the airport. Just no usable load lifters.

DocGP
06-06-2011, 04:07 AM
well, i made the trip ok. never had a second look. i think as small as it will squish down, no one ever looked at length. my 3700 was really quite small compared to some of the carry ons!!!! i would have used my x-ray but it weighed a bit more than the UL. will remember that about the stays. might pop them out if someone gets picky about it on the trip home.