PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Success

trapper55
05-15-2003, 04:02 PM
Shot a 19 pound tom turkey with a 9 1/2" beard this morning. At 3:30 AM the weather was rainy and cold but dedicated (crazy) turkey hunters are tough and don't melt. Two tom's flew down and started gobbling to let the hens know they were in town. They completely ignored our calling and kept strutting and gobbling. 6 hens gathered with the toms and walked out of sight. I was completely soaked by mid morning but knew where the birds might end up. I glassed an open area where they like to strut and there was 2 toms in the clearing. I didn't call to them. I had good cover between myself and them so I waited for them to get within range. The tom stepped into the open and end of story. I have been using my Spike Camp to haul my decoys and assorted turkey hunting gear, Cargo Chair as a comfortable seat to wait for the birds and the Gunbearer to tote my heavy shotgun. I use the Spike camp 12 months a year for hunting and backpacking. GREAT PRODUCTS PATRICK !!!

Dave R.
05-16-2003, 01:52 PM
Way to go trapper!!!!

How early did you get into position...i know you mentioned 3:30 AM....is that when you got up or when you got on stand...Also...did you scout around ahead of time to be in the area where your Gobblers were roosting?? Sounds like you know the area real well.

Last Saturday, I was talking to two toms that would not come in..but they were hot for my call. I think they had a harem with them that they did not want to leave...

Congrats on your Bird....It's gonna taste great!

Dave, (a newbie to Turkey hunting, but quickly becoming addicted)

trapper55
05-17-2003, 03:25 AM
I had a hen and jake decoy set up by 5:15 AM. A hen tree yelped about 5:40. The toms didn't gobble when the hens that were roosted with them would yelp. They would gobble in response to my calling. I think the toms wanted this new hen (me) to join their group. I saw them all fly down from the roost over the next half hour but the toms would not come to my calling. This has been the case over the last week. My hunting partner and I hunt this area for deer, rabbits and turkeys so yes we know it very well. I agree that turkey hunting is very addicting, very exciting to see the birds respond to your calling. I do prefer the taste of a wild turkey to any store bought bird but that's not a fair comparison. I will eat wild game instead of store bought food anytime. Good luck and shoot straight!

William Clunie
05-20-2003, 05:37 AM
Congratulations,
I am still looking for mr. big tom. I obtained permission (finally) to hunt on a piece of land that seemed to hold all the gobblers. I just looked it over today and it is loaded with beech trees and the birds have the ground all tore up. I will try to roost one tonight and make a morning date
I was born in Saginaw, MI. How is the wild life in Michigan, I haven't been back there in a while?

Patrick
06-10-2003, 09:05 AM
Trapper--

I enjoyed the phone discussion yesterday, remembered your post about your turkey success (and madness), and thought I'd congratulate you here. So, CONGRATS.

Also thought I'd let everybody know the weights on the very-soon-to-be-announced LateSeason and Siwash...'cause we have them now. Like I told you on the phone, the Siwash is 4lb., l0 l/2oz., and the LateSeason is 4lbs. even. I think you're going to enjoy your Siwash for summer backpacking with the fam! Shoot straight, amigo!

Patrick

Dean
06-12-2003, 04:24 PM
Congrats on a nice bird......I too had sucess on the next to the last day of the season . 22lb 15 oz 10 3/4 inch beard and 1 and 1/8 spurs . A pretty good eastern I must say.