PDA

View Full Version : shotgun

EyeDoc
05-11-2003, 03:37 PM
I would like to purchase a shotgun for turkey & waterfowl hunting. Any thoughts on the Beretta Xtrema or others? Also which barrel length is recommended?

shu
05-13-2003, 09:46 AM
Eyedoc-

I am not familiar with the Xtrema but shotgun choice is pretty subjective--most shotguns on the market are pretty well designed so its basically personal preference.

As for barrel length, 26" would be a good compromise. You want at least 26" (and 28" is probably better) for waterfowl as these are easier to swing through and have less muzzle blast for your blind mates. 20-24" barrels work well for turkeys (where the longer barrel is not an asset and can get hung up in the brush) but it is easier to use a waterfowl gun for turkeys than vice versa....

Just my opinion;

shu

Nick
05-13-2003, 12:50 PM
Eyedoc, I own an Extrema 3 1/2" 12 GA. in flat black and love it. I bought the short barrel for turkey hunting and it has been the demise of six turkeys. Originally, I intended to put a scope on it due to my failing eyes but I've got along fine without it so far. The scope may still be in the future.

I use Heavy Shot #6 in 1 3/4 oz and the combination has been awesome. The recoil is not bad and considerably less than the Mossbergs. I did a lot of looking before I went with Beretta and I'm very satisfied with it as my turkey gun.

drwarner
05-13-2003, 01:13 PM
I bought a Benelli Super Black Eagle 3 1/2 mag 12g with a 28" . Have used it with quail, dove, duck (have not used it with goose or turkey, yet-but plan to) It has performed beautifully with a very smooth action and minimum recoil. Love it!

Kurt
05-15-2003, 03:31 AM
I have also had great luck with the Benelli Super Black Eagle. It has a very proven track record and seems pretty impervious to hard use. The reviews I have read on it seem to indicate that it is the first choice of many serious waterfowlers. Good luck with your purchase.