PDA

View Full Version : What to Pack? Does anyone have a List?

Travis
05-05-2003, 06:47 AM
I'm new to backpack hunting and will be purchasing a Longhunter guide in the next few weeks. Does anyone have a list of what they pack? I have a few months to put all my gear together but want to make sure I take what I need and leave the stuff I don't at home. Any input would certainly be appreciated.

05-05-2003, 02:11 PM
Backpack Hunters Checklist - by Jim Cuda
Rifle or bow
Ammo or arrows
Cleaning Rod
Oil
Hunting license and tags
Small folding saw (for butchering game, not sawing trees)
Backpack
Light weight tent (less than 5 lbs)
Stove and Fuel
Matches and lighter
Compass
Maps
Altimeter (could be at least as important as a compass in mountainous country)
Headlamp (not a flashlight. Allows both hands to be free)
Sun glasses
Sun screen
Knife
Survey Tape (do not use to mark a navigation trail. Use to mark blood trail and then pick it all up afterward)
Binoculars
First aid kit
Down Jacket
Polar fleece sweater
light weight raingear
hat
Pants and Shirt (synthetic blend that will dry fast)
Extra Socks
Polypropylene underwear, tops and bottoms
Lightweight day pack
Foam sleeping pad
Down sleeping bag
toilet paper
Soap
Insect repellent
Tooth Brush
Boots
Gaiters (if snow is likely)
Gloves
Large Garbage Bags (usefull for everything from keeping things dry, to packing meat, to building an emergency shelter)
Cookware and spoon (Lightweight aluminum. With freeze dried food you won't need a fork)
Insulated coffee cup
Coffee

Optional Items

Book
Small lantern (Gaz of France makes one that will work with same cartridges as their stove. It is nice for warming up the tent at pre-dawn!)
.22 pistol or Judo/Blunt tip arrows (Adding a grouse or two to the pot makes meals more enjoyable)
Go back to Tim's Backpacking Page

buck
05-07-2003, 01:55 PM
Trav,

I couldn't take Posi's list serious because he/she puts coffee last. Ha.

Seriously, check out the essays on this site, particularly the "possibles pouch". Also, backpacker.com magazine.

Do some short "training runs" where you pack in only half a mile or so and spend a couple of days trying things out and getting to know your gear, ideally, with another person.

BobG
05-07-2003, 03:59 PM
You can find lots of ideas including lists here:
http://www.backpackinglight.com/
Edit:
Actually this is the one with all the lists:
http://www.backpacking.net/

Travis
05-08-2003, 11:44 AM
Thanks guys, really appreciate the direction. I did a search on Yahoo for "Backpacker checklist". Came up with in the realm of 7,000 hits. Was amazed at all of the various list.

I intend to get out in the woods the middle of June to begin learning what needs to go and what can stay at home. Can't wait to get my longhunter.