PDA

View Full Version : gunbearer

EyeDoc
04-25-2003, 05:53 PM
I recently used the Spikecamp with the gunbearer on an Alaskan brown bear hunt and experienced some difficulty with stability of my rifle. Any suggestions

Levi
04-26-2003, 05:55 AM
Eyedoc, I don't have a Spike Camp, but do use a gun bearer on one of Patrick's older packs(Predator). I've been using it for two years and would dread the idea go back to the old sling mounted carrying system. However, at first it did take me about 45 minutes of walking around the house and adjusting it before I was able to get it to fit comfortably. I would start by moving the bottom part which holds the butt of the gun as far back as you can(towards your back). Move it forward as needed until it feels comfortable. Then I'd start adjusting the length of this same part of the system at the same time. It may take a while to find the "sweet spot", but once you do I'm sure you'll find the gun bearer to be a great way to pack your rifle. Hope this helps.
Levi

Patrick
04-26-2003, 07:22 AM
Eyedoc--

Levi gives good tips. In addition, the single biggest "problem" to overcome in using the GB system is this: Don't "tighten" the pack's sternum strap! This pulls the rifle barrel towards the face. Our packs are designed so that the shoulder straps ride quite comfy in the "sweet spot" WITHOUT using the sternum strap. In fact the sternum strap is only there because the Market absolutely insists it be there. If you use it at all just buckle it loosely, just enough to keep the shoulder straps from feeling like they're slipping off the shoulder. If you are tightening the waistbelt enough you will have noticed that all the weight in the pack is on your waist...none on your shoulders. So. Use Levi's advice, plus back off on that sternum strap, or don't use it at all! You'll find that sweet spot for sure.

Huntsman22
04-26-2003, 06:19 PM
Eyedoc, I also had trouble like you, but mine was the gun barrel interfered with my cowboy hat.My solution was to run the gunbarrel under the sternum strap instead of thru the upper holder. I adjust it just so the front bell of the scope and forend of my rifle are under the sternum strap.I think it is more comfy to have it cross-chest, and it did'nt take long to get used to squeezing the buckle to release the gun, either.I also think this method is a little more silent on release, and with the bell and forearm in together the gun don't twist around but rides real solid even with slack. The only downfall is the extra weight on the strap tends to draw the strap down and you have to adjust 'em up once in a while.Try it, you'll like it.

180pilot
05-26-2003, 04:56 PM
/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif I too could not get my light glass stocked Rem. 600 to not want to rotate in the GB to a scope down (forward) position, no matter what I tried??? As all the metal is heavier than the stock.( up,down, back, forth). I ended up sending it back for a refund. (Which was cheerfully done by the way). The only way I figured out I could make it work would be to bond a an alumimum "stiffener" on the inside of the nylon strap from the belt to the butt to keep it from rotating outward. Also with a heavy jacket on, I just could not get used to walking normally with the rifle between my arm and torso. It was just uncomfortable. My best solution,..my .358 win. 15 inch barrel Encore in a cross chest holster, with Bushnell Elite Scope /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif