PDA

View Full Version : Skiing with Dogs ? for David Lowery

Ed
04-24-2003, 12:25 PM
David,
The picture you posted of you skiing with the dogs has me interested. I am thinking of hooking my three labs to me next winter. My wife laughs when I talk about it. Something to do with being pulled thru trees and bushes and over cliffs.

Anyhow, what sort of rigging do you ues? Is it a standard skijoring harness setup? Any info would be much appreciated.

04-24-2003, 01:55 PM
Ed, I bet your labs would take to it really well. And if they don't, well I guess you've got the world's expert next door! The best description of lines is given on Mike Callahan's site. Mine was a fan hitch, no necklines. The harness I use is commercial, from Black Ice, but I've also used a weight lifting belt and pack belt. The belt needs to cover two vertebrae at least.

Happy Trails!

Callahan's site:

http://server35.hypermart.net/skijor/line_article.html

JLBrush7x57
04-25-2003, 02:05 PM
David,

What's that guy on in the two photos with no snow? Is he being pulled on a bike!? Is that the normal thing to do with the dogs in the summer when there's no snow?

05-06-2003, 02:30 PM
Sorry, I didn't notice your question here.

Yes, using a mountain bike for dryland training is a great way to keep them in shape all summer. I try to do that along the a river so they can cool off from time to time. Three dogs is about my limit with a bike or scooter. With four to six dogs, people use one of many commercial or homebuilt rigs or carts that you stand up on. More than six dogs, folks almost always use an ATV in neutral.

Callahan has an article on bikejoring:

http://server35.hypermart.net/skijor/bjarticle.html

Happy Trails

05-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Just for yuks, here's my summertime rig, when I want to get all 4 of them out at once:

http://www.harborside.com/~toffssandlynx/images/skijorcart.jpg

JLBrush7x57
05-08-2003, 05:31 AM
David,

Thanks for the information. Your earlier post launched me on an internet search where I turned up some interesting information on bikejoring. I've always been fascinated by sled dogs but I've never lived in a place with enough annual snowfall for sledding or XC skiing.

That whole bike angle is interesting. Do you just use the bike for short exercise runs? Have you ever gone on a more extended trip on the bike with the dogs? I'm thinking 5-10 miles.

Thanks for the links and the pictures, I have enjoyed learning more about something I hadn't known existed. I'm still trying to picture riding a bike being pulled by three running dogs along a trail in the woods somewhere. That has to be super terrifying/exciting! If I had only known that as a kid when I had the time, dogs, bike, and a little brother all handy to experiment with....

05-08-2003, 08:12 AM
JLBrush, in fact, the longest day trip I've ever done is 30 miles, on a bike with three dogs pulling. Get some dog booties and go for it! (But work the dog slowly up in distance)

Single track is no problem. And if you don't have dogs yet, consider the shelter. There are a number of dogs that are just too bonkers for their owners, and all they really need is to get out and run every other day. My two most talented dogs are rescues.

The folks on Sleddog Central can answer all your Q's on the sled dog lifestyle. I'm still learning, myself (6 years).

Happy Trails

05-08-2003, 09:23 AM
I forgot to mention, Dolly Sods is one of the best backcountry ski touring areas in North America. Its also dang near arctic in climate, so be prepared for that if you go.

Happy Trails