PDA

View Full Version : 1 Rifle Hunter: possible problems?

pointer
04-23-2003, 12:22 PM
Though I agree 100% with the notion that a hunter with one rifle will become ultra familiar and effecient with that rifle I do have a question. What does one do if that one rifle breaks while on a hunt? Opinions/thoughts?

I'm wanting to stay relatively minimal when it comes to the gear I accrue as that money, IMO, would be better spent for more tags. What I'm contemplating is to build/buy 3 rifles which overlap niches, so as to always have a backup in case one breaks. Here's what I'm thinking:
Gun #1: 6X45 or 6-250 for varmints and would work for deer at appropriate ranges.
Gun #2: Something from a 6.5 to 7mm on either the -08 or 284 Win case. It would cover deer sized game and even elk with the appropriate bullets. This one's to be relatively light for the sheep/goat hunts we all dream about.
Gun #3: .338 Win Mag (what I now have) for elk, big toothy thngs and more than enough for smaller big game.

Thoughts or Opinions?

elmbow
04-23-2003, 06:36 PM
Pointer....6x45?? 6-250?? What reloading manual are these in?? What happened to the .243? Maybe .257 Roberts.
Holding to the short action philosophy, I think the 7-08 sounds good and for the big stuff a 350 Rem Mag. although since you already have the .338, it works in a longer action. I reload most of my fodder but hold to the theory that you should be able to buy ammo over any counter and for that reason, I stick to common cartridges, i.e. .243, .308. .25.06, .270. 30.06 for big game hunting. I concur that you should be very familiar with your hunting weapon but for most on this MB, that probably doesn't equate to one gun ownership. I have several rifles I "hunt" with but have more to play with if you get my drift, and I never leave home for hunting camp without a backup rifle. Worst case scenario on a backpack hunt is you scoot back to the vehicle.
Elmbow

Ed C
04-23-2003, 08:22 PM
Pointer
How much will those three rifles cost you after you have them just the way you want them? If you look at it that way you could probably justify the price of a rambler. Just a thought.
Ed

Yukon Hunter
04-24-2003, 02:03 AM
I'm still a big fan of the one-gun arsenal. I own a .270 (blech) to go along with my .375. I figure if I can put two hundred rounds a year through each, I'd just as soon put 400 through my .375. I suppose, in a pinch, I can still rely on the .270- it's accurate, and it's always sighted in correctly.

bigbore442001
04-24-2003, 04:53 AM
I know of a book written by a hunter who has hunted all over the world with a 30-06 for just about every animal found.

Given my druthers, I'd go with a 30-06 for what can be found in N. America.

pointer
04-24-2003, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the replies.

EB- The 6X45 is a .223 necked up to 6mm and the other is the 22-250 necked up.

I realized my problem during my late night drive home last night, I think about the minute details too much. /images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/eek.gif

Dean
04-24-2003, 11:30 AM
I recently called Patrick to ask him if what I had in mind was a good thought and he agreed and also informed me a lot about cartridge selection.
I have come to the descision that a 270 wsm and a 338 wsm would be it for me , the later soon to come.

elmbow
04-24-2003, 01:09 PM
The firearms mfgs. and the gun rags rely on (mens') fascination with walnut and steel and I suppose that's a good thing. I'm always coming up with reasons to buy a new gun in a new caliber to fill a "niche". Most of the time, my common "cents" gets to me before I have the $/opportunity to actually buy something. There is no end to the choice of good calibers. If I were starting from scratch, I'd consider Patrick's system. A poor man can achieve close to the same thing now with the Savage 110 and Midway's barrel program. I agree with Dean, that the 270 WSM is tough to beat. Am I going to sell my Rem 700 .270 that I've pillar bedded, trigger worked, restocked, developed loads for and spent 7 years getting good with to buy the WSM? Nope.
My dad hunted with a sporterized 30.40 Krag. He gave each of his boys a surplus one when they turned 16. I killed a lot of game with that old blunderbuss, (never shot a gun with a smoother action) My "first" gun purchase was a surplus springfield that I had Neal's gun shop in Smithfield Utah rebarrel to 25.06 and I finished a Bishop stock blank for it. Man, was that long range deer/varmint medicine! 37 years later and I still drool over custom Mausers and Springfields and John Browning designs and that's mostly what dictates my gun purchases although I have a few practical guns as well and it's those that go in the high country with me. I love reading about the diversity of opinion and taste on MBs like this one though and I have my eye on an old Savage 99 .308 sitting on a pawn shop shelf that's going to make an excellent project if some other weanie doesn't get to it before I overcome that commom "cents" thing again.

Joe
05-09-2003, 02:36 PM
Pointer,

Three different rifles, two different wildcats!
Three different types of ammo. I bought one
.338-06 I will use to hunt anything on this continent with. Weatherby UL . 7 lbs w/scope.
Factory ammo available. Easy to reload. Hope to
purchase second one soon. Combined I will have spent two grand.

05-09-2003, 03:55 PM
Pointer, you probably already know what I think...

223 or 22-250 Rem
270 Win
338 WM

Probably the ultimate, practical (ammo available everywhere) battery for NA game. Plenty of power with little overlap, yet the 270 can stand in as an elk rifle with no problem if the 338 WM is out of order.

BA

Sundles
05-11-2003, 06:02 AM
Pointer,

I like your way of thinking on this subject. While I have many scoped bolt guns, the bulk of my hunting is done with two rifles. 1. an old Feathrewieght Pre 64 in 30-06. The stock is a high quality fiberglass. It has iron sights that are sighted in, so that if I damge the scope ( 2.5X8 Leupold) I can pop it off and continue to hunt with the irons. 2. An FN mauser actioned 340 Weatherby in a fiberglass stock with a leupold 3.5X10--same iron sights as the 06.

One very important item that most folks over look is the back up iron sights. If you are in the middle of nowhere and break your scope, you'll wish you have back up sights. All my scopes are mounted with Warne Quick detachable rings and bases. They can be taken off in the field. If you were to keep a back up scope in camp that was set up in these rings and pre sighted, you could also put on that back up scope and hunt without resighting in, as the Warnes will hold a zero if you take off the scope and put it back on. When I go to Alaska, I always take a spare scope that is pre sighted in with the warne rings that fit my warne base. A $12,000.00 Brown bear hunt is no place to be without a good back up sighting system.

WHen hunting potentialy dangerous game, I really like controlled feed actions. When Im hunting stuff like elk or deer, I dont mind push feed systems, but nothing will take abuse as well as an old Win. pre 64 or a Mauser--they simply keep on working no matter how much moss, mud, rain, brush etc. you get in them.

Jim T
05-17-2003, 01:29 PM
I would tend to support what Brad said, but with minor changes:

For 2 guns:

223 (ammo is available anywhere)
300 Win Mag (you can go light to heavy with bullets)

A lot of guys would swap the 338WM here. I think it's a personal choice.

For 3 guns:

308/30-06 (personal choice)
375 H&H (ammo available everywhere, and in Africa is the minimum allowed for much game)

Of course, why would you want to limit yourself to one or two guns? Monogamy and guns don't go together. Guns don't get jealous!

Jim