PDA

View Full Version : Getting Ready for death from above!

blgoode
04-14-2011, 08:02 PM
Getting ready to practice shooting from above!!

Got a Big Game Ladder stand for yard to practice shooting my bow.

Ill snag another and set it in woods soon......2 if possible but I may have to just lock my climber and leave it to go up on when I get in woods.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v454/bgoode/standtop.jpg

njloco
04-14-2011, 08:30 PM
Watch out you don't get a nose bleed from the height :)

blgoode
04-14-2011, 08:37 PM
Ran out if daylight. I'll get it up for real later :)

njloco
04-14-2011, 09:37 PM
You know, I use to do exactly what your doing, but I find that for hunting in NJ or Maine, I like to go light so I can stalk around and if I find a good ambush place and have to climb , I use the lonewolf sticks but only two sets, as it gets me up high enough ( 8'-10' ) with the light weight stand. If I don't find a good place I can still walk around and try and find the critters, or find a good spot on the ground. I do use a traditional bow with carbon arrows which I switched back to from a compound bow a few years back.

Enjoy.

elmbow
04-15-2011, 09:21 AM
Watch out you don't get a nose bleed from the height :)

LOL, that's a good one!

Nothing like that first climb up each year 20 ft into a 1 foot diameter pine that's sways like the Sears tower in a hurricane wind, and then doing your first 45 degree lean once tethered in. Ten minutes later you feel like you were born in the tree. Nosebleeds indeed. Our mountains are so steep out here in the Rockies, ((tall tale time?) that when you're 25 feet up in a tree, your looking straight across at the upper sidehill and 50 feet down at the lower sidehill:)

njloco
04-15-2011, 09:49 PM
Yeah, from what Gregg has told me about Montana and out west, you guys don't do much hunting from a tree, I much prefer hunting from the ground now or not very high in a tree, much more exciting.

Uncle Jake
04-16-2011, 10:32 AM
I always had better luck bowhunting (instictive/trad) from a ground blind. Nothing like having your home made climber slip on the way down!

Remember to aim low....

Take-a-knee
04-16-2011, 11:36 PM
LOL, that's a good one!

Nothing like that first climb up each year 20 ft into a 1 foot diameter pine that's sways like the Sears tower in a hurricane wind, and then doing your first 45 degree lean once tethered in. Ten minutes later you feel like you were born in the tree. Nosebleeds indeed. Our mountains are so steep out here in the Rockies, ((tall tale time?) that when you're 25 feet up in a tree, your looking straight across at the upper sidehill and 50 feet down at the lower sidehill:)

Where I live treestand hunting is how it's done, but in the mountains north of here few experienced hunters bother with a treestand for the reasons you describe. Just hunt the saddles and draws and of course food sources.

elmbow
04-17-2011, 12:40 AM
I apologize if I gave the wrong impression. I have hunted treestands almost exclusively for 30 years for archery elk. There is no more productive way to do it IMO. If you're lucky enough to have an antlered bull tag, find a stinky, putrid wallow that other hunters aren't beating to death, and you'll see amzing stuff. If you have a spike or cow tag, then fresher water, but still hidden in thick sidehill seeps 'n such and you'll be tsaking some good meat home. If you like to sneak around on the ground and play footsy with elk,well, that works too, and I've had my share of success using such techniques, but a tree stand can be VERY productive during western archery elk hunting season.

Take-a-knee
04-17-2011, 01:22 AM
That's really interesting Elm. I would add that most experienced southern whitetail hunters have figured out that fixed position elevated stands are quickly "burned", by that I mean the older bucks pattern the hunter before the hunter ever gets a shot typically. So the solution is many lock-on stands, ideally placed well before the season opener, each stand only hunted occasionally, or a quiet climber like the Ol'Man or the Lone Wolf climber, or all the above.

elmbow
04-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Much different scenario out here TAK. Tree standing means hunting over water, and water is scarce enough that animals will always come in to it. If an elk were to bust a person on the water in the morning, they would likely be back later in the day. Tree stand hunting is less productive for big, smart bucks simply because they are completely nocturnal when moving to water. Elk to a lesser extent, but their water requirements are much higher than muleys so between the hot weather, the semi arid topography, and the Sept rut, archery elk and tree stands fit like hand and glove.
Tree stand hunting during archery elk season also means hunting on NF lands out of bristly firs, pines, and spruces, and since fixed stands are illegal, it's portables and tree steps for us. I have used the Screaming Eagle brand of stands for many years and IMO, they are still the gold standard 25 years later. Paul B used to show a pic of a VW bug hanging from one of his stands in his old catalogs.
http://www.e-screamingeagle.com/

Lost Arra
04-17-2011, 10:51 AM
TAK: >>fixed position elevated stands are quickly "burned" <<

+ 1,000,000 but around here a wily old doe can ruin things too. Just like a woman, she tells everyone she sees about it.

Most productive whitetail treestand around here is the the first time you get in it. Too many guys (I've been guilty) want to get in their newly placed stand during the early season just because hunting season has started and they're fired up. By the time peak rut arrives, the stand has been burned out and nothing but the nasally congested yearlings walk by.

njloco
04-18-2011, 07:55 PM
That is one reason I use a fixed stand with my climbing sticks, very easy to move.

blgoode
04-18-2011, 08:00 PM
I think I'll get a hang on with sticks next /)

Lost Arra
04-18-2011, 09:01 PM
I only use hang-ons, better for longbows. I place hanger brackets for my Chippewa in various trees for different wind conditions but there is always one location that just "feels" like it should be a bonanza. I have to make myself stay out of it until things start heating up which is usually a week before gun season.