PDA

View Full Version : GB Mini-hatchet

Ralph
04-06-2011, 05:58 PM
If you wanted one of these but balked at the price here is one sensational buy. This was on his weekly special list so I don't know how long it will be available at this price.

http://www.agrussell.com/gransfors-bruks-hand-forged-mini-hatchet/p/GFBhhh410/

Take-a-knee
04-06-2011, 06:02 PM
Sale must be over, it says $159.95 now.

Ralph
04-06-2011, 07:39 PM
I was going to delete the post but checked. Following the link I listed I get it at $47.95. Going directly to the site and I get the same result, so I don't know where you are looking.

MikeB
04-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Knives of Alaska has a great handmade hatchet. I have a couple of their knives and love their quality. It sells for $69.95. I am not sure of it's weight.
http://www.knivesofalaska.com/item.asp?id=42&r=store%2Easp%3Fc%3D24

bark-eater
04-06-2011, 08:43 PM
I was going to delete the post but checked. Following the link I listed I get it at $47.95. Going directly to the site and I get the same result, so I don't know where you are looking.

You might as well buy them all and double your money reselling them.

NXP
04-06-2011, 09:19 PM
150 for me also.

50 = hell yes
150 = hell no

Thanks for thinking about us, though!

NXP

Ralph
04-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Where are you guys looking? Could you send me the link to where you are seeing a price different from the one I posted? I checked the link above and by going directly to the A.G. Russell website and still get the $47.95 price. I'm selling some stuff so thought I could afford to order one and got this from the company (personal details redacted):

"Thank you for ordering from A.G. Russell online! We appreciate
your business and we hope you will be pleased with your purchase.

We successfully received the following order placed by you
from our website:

Order Number: xxxxxxx
Mailing Address:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Shipping Address:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Order Detail:
Item: GFB-410 - Gränsfors Bruks Hand Forged Mini Hatchet - - 1 - $47.95
Item Subtotal: $47.95
Shipping Cost: $8.95
Order Total: $56.90

JBR
04-06-2011, 10:02 PM
Hmmmm, thats weird Ralph cause I just clicked your link and it comes up $159 for me too???

FlatbowMB
04-06-2011, 10:04 PM

This is the link to the $ 47.95 GB mini sale, but I think it is a typo since it says that the regular price is $ 57.95

elmbow
04-06-2011, 10:54 PM

This is the link to the $ 47.95 GB mini sale, but I think it is a typo since it says that the regular price is $ 57.95

Your link is the $159 too???????

That's nutso! I paid ~$60 for my scandinavian forest axe and ~$70 for my hunters. They can keep their axes at those prices!

Ralph
04-06-2011, 11:00 PM
Well, possible mystery solved: Russel's for Men lists it as $159. Same owner, different company. In any event. AGR accepted the order and I am quite sure will deliver the hatchet to me at the advertised price as indicated by the note above. I was curious and poked around to see where there was any possible confusion. In passing I came across this description from another company - emphasis mine.

"Gransfors Bruks Mini Belt Hatchet, everyone who sees this petite Swedish beauty begins cooing over it as if it were a baby—a sharp little thing, but awfully cute. 2-1/2" face, 10-1/2" hickory handle, and 11 oz. weight combine for perfect balance and a sweet swing. It's perfect for sculpting & carving, or for carrying along on a camping trip for splitting kindling. Leather sheath included.

Due to State Law, cannot be shipped to California."
I've spent some time in California, my brother lived there for a long time. Given the current state of that state as reported in the news combined with the notation above, perhaps someone can explain to me why anyone in their right mind would want to live there. Yes, I know the climate is nice.

This listing is not imaginary:

The main site is:
http://www.agrussell.com/

The listing for axes is:
http://www.agrussell.com/axes/c/140/

The specific listing for the GB Mini is:
http://www.agrussell.com/gransfors-b...t/p/GFBhhh410/

I have no idea why anyone is getting anything different than what I get from these links.

sab
04-07-2011, 07:14 AM
Ralph:

Perhaps you have a cookie on your PC that keeps you logged in to their site, and then, maybe you subscribe to their weekly specials email list, which gives you the special price. If you log out and view the page anonymously, do you still see the low price?

Scott

Wayne Hoffman
04-07-2011, 07:24 AM
I found it when I went to their home page and then went to weekly specials

berntboater
04-07-2011, 07:25 AM
Due to State Law, cannot be shipped to California."
I've spent some time in California, my brother lived there for a long time. Given the current state of that state as reported in the news combined with the notation above, perhaps someone can explain to me why anyone in their right mind would want to live there. Yes, I know the climate is nice.

Six figure salaries, the ocean and the Sierra's.

sab
04-07-2011, 07:27 AM
Guys:

I figured out how to see the sale page! Go to the home page:

http://www.agrussell.com

Now, on the left hand side, about half-way down the page, you'll see a link named "Weekly Special". Click on that, then scroll all the way down to the bottom to see the GB mini listed for $47.95. After I ordered one, I went back to click on Ralph's link, and it works correctly. Their web site must put a cookie on your PC that instructs their server to give you the cheaper price. Anyway, order away fellas! We'll see how long the sale lasts...

Scott

Ralph
04-07-2011, 08:02 AM
Thanks SAB, I'm glad to know I'm not hallucinating. AGR has pretty good pricing usually but this is an exceptional deal.

Pointshoot
04-07-2011, 08:35 AM
You lucky bums ! :) I get AGRs emails and tried the link to the special and the GB Mini is listed at $ 159 now. (Did I do something wrong and miss out on that special, or did someone just make a mistake at their store ?)

I have a GB Mini already and its a terrific little axe and a real work of art. But at $ 47.95 I woulda got another, thats for sure ! Congrats on the super deal !

P.S. - - I just called AG Russell and the lady I spoke to quoted the $ 159 price and guessed that the $47.95 was an error that they corrected. I imagine they lose money on that price. Are you guys still getting the lower price when you go to the link ?

FlatbowMB
04-07-2011, 09:15 AM
Looks like they caught the typo, my link is now back at $ 159.

elmbow
04-07-2011, 09:18 AM
I followed Sab's directions and still get the $159

Ralph
04-07-2011, 09:23 AM
The link now says $159 so I guess it was an error, however, I haven't gotten a disclaimer on the order (yet) so it looks like they will honor the price as listed. Now I feel a little guilty about it. On the other hand, I've bought a lot of stuff from AGR and haven't been shy about recommending them. It also serves as an object lesson in the value of proofreading - a skill that seems to be falling into disuse in this rush-rush world.

njloco
04-07-2011, 09:25 AM
Doesn't matter anymore, sold out and they aren't getting anymore, just got off the phone with them.

sab
04-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Guys:

I went back to the Weekly Special page, and they now have it listed at the $159.95 price. There's a Kabar knife that's now listed at $47.95, with a regular price of $57.95. I'll bet they sale-priced the wrong item originally. It will be interesting to see if Ralph and I get ours for the ridiculously low price, or if they back out of the deal...

Scott

sab
04-07-2011, 09:29 AM
It also serves as an object lesson in the value of proofreading - a skill that seems to be falling into disuse in this rush-rush world.

I agree 100%, Ralph! Writing correctly is a lost skill these days. By the way, you meant "abject", not "object" :) Sorry, I couldn't resist ribbing you!

Scott

Pointshoot
04-07-2011, 09:37 AM
Hey there Ralph - - - I'm an AGR customer but don't buy alot from them. I have other favorite sources who usually beat AGR on price. But I will definitely be paying more attention to AGR's emails & read them thoroughly now ! (I'm hoping that someone will fall asleep again - which isn't a bad marketing idea. Would pull in gamblers & careful readers.) - - So maybe youve provided them with a valuable marketing benefit for your good fortune. Enjoy the Mini- (and please give us your impressions when you get it). If you havent tried one yet, I bet youll be very pleased. - - -

Ralph
04-07-2011, 09:48 AM
The old blacksmith's term is to strike while the iron is hot. Oddly appropriate, since the reason G-B gives for the high price of these little axes is that the lower mass makes the steel cool rapidly forcing the need to be both fast and precise causing a greater than usual number of rejects. Most of these are made by one extremely skilled smith. My bet is that AGR will bite the bullet and honor the orders as the price to be paid for education.

A friend sent me an interesting item about how the mind reads words in their entirety and that about half the people on earth can read quite well even when the letters are jumbled as long as the word begins with the correct letter and is the same length. I found I could read the example as fast as I read anything. A useful skill, I suppose since it also allows one to read upside down something I have found to be VERY useful on occasion. It doesn't make for good proofreading, however so I have to work at it.

My old Lewis tomahawk has a head a bit larger and about 6 oz. heavier (with a 13" handle) and has served me well for more than 50 years but I'm looking forward to getting this, I've wanted one ever since I first came across it but could never justify the price. The one flaw in the Lewis is that it has a hammer eye rather than the oval axe eye so every so often I have to tighten the head.

mgutman
04-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Yep, sale over. I tried this morning and couldn't find the pricing. I emailed AGR and this was the response I just recieved:

Dear Sir:

We have sold out of the hatchet and it is not available at this time. We will get more but not at the discounted price. We are sorry for any inconvenience to you.

Bummer. Thanks for the initial heads up Ralph. Next time.

snakey2
04-07-2011, 10:29 AM
Ralph maybe you have a magic computer!!! Try something else but make it big.

Ralph
04-07-2011, 10:38 AM
No magic, I was awakened about 4AM with a foot cramp, got up, made coffee and cranked up the CPU. Got the e-mail from AGR and reacted. No wonder they sold out quickly to a bunch of early risers.

mgutman
04-07-2011, 10:45 AM
That's probably the first time you were happy to be awakened by a foot cramp in the middle of the night!

Ralph
04-07-2011, 11:24 AM
You got that right. It's a pain in the ...... foot.

sab
04-07-2011, 01:58 PM
I just received the following email from A.G. Russell:

I'm sorry but we have sold out of the Gransfors Bruks Mini Hatchet. We apologize for the inconvenience and hope to be able to help you in the future.

Thank you
Mary Ann Kruger
Customer Service Manager
A. G. Russell Knives/Russell's for Men

I wonder if they actually shipped any at that price? I guess the easy way out is to send everyone an email saying that they sold out...

Scott

Pointshoot
04-07-2011, 02:26 PM
Yeah, I bet they show up in inventory again in a few weeks after things have settled down. At the real price. Can't blame them for that. - - Hope the guys who got in on that deal get them; the agreement should be honored. - - -

This thread sure has gotten a lot of attention. Everyone loves a deal !

sab
04-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Hope the guys who got in on that deal get them; the agreement should be honored.

That's the thing - I'm one of "the guys who got in on that deal". I was able to place an order early this morning, then I posted on here how to get to the page with the special pricing, and then they shut it down. Did anyone receive a confirmation of shipping? Ralph?

Scott

Ralph
04-07-2011, 03:03 PM
No shipping confirmation yet, just the e-mail accepting the order. I figure if they were going to back out I would have gotten the "all sold out" e-mail by now. I'll keep you posted but I do expect that AGR will honor the acceptance rather than causing bad feelings.

Ralph
04-07-2011, 03:30 PM
On the subject of mini-hatchets, here is an interesting article:

http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/tinyhatchets.html

evanhill
04-07-2011, 04:43 PM
This is funny Ralph. I've been using a cold steel trail hawk for a few months now, and have been planning on a review that basically starts out "Ralph was right about a tomahawk". That light head / long handle combination is where it's at. The trail hawk weighs the same as my GB wildlife hatchet but gets a LOT more work done due to the longer handle. I experimented with one of those Vaughans for a while but ran into a limitation with the eye size as detailed by old jimbo. A decent sized handle (14") on the Vaughan was too much leverage for the small eye to handle. Next experiment is a trail hawk with both longer and shorter handles than the "standard" size. I wouldn't mind trying a GB mini with a longer handle on it, but at that price it's not likely to happen.

Ralph
04-07-2011, 05:20 PM
The Trail Hawk is similar to my old Lewis in size and profile and your experience demonstrates why I have been using it for so long. I did try a short handle for awhile many years ago - for ease of carry, but the longer handle is a lot more efficient. The G-B mini seems to be scaled with the handle length matching the head weight and profile so I'll be interested to see how it works for me. In any event, I'm not planning on getting rid of the Lewis.

Take-a-knee
04-07-2011, 05:22 PM
I was considering the SOG Fasthawk:

http://sogknives.com/store/F06T-N_fasthawk.html

Ralph
04-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Well, I am sitting here admiring my new G-B mini-hatchet. The included booklet opens with a picture of the smith who made it. Very, very nice. The handle will get some linseed oil but that's all I can see that is needed. Light, beautiful and seems nicely balanced. Haven'tchopped anything yet (the box was just delivered about 10 minutes ago. I have a few things (very few) that I think are as well and carefully made combined with the selection of materials as anything can be and this is one of them. I expect this will be my constant companion. My old Lewis will live in the truck as my utility hatchet.

AGR also is to be honored for delivering what had to be a money-loser for them without a quibble. This just reinforces my original conclusion about them.

njloco
04-11-2011, 12:28 PM
Hey Take,

One of those Fast hawks was for sale on here not too long ago !

Take-a-knee
04-11-2011, 12:54 PM
Hey Take,

One of those Fast hawks was for sale on here not too long ago !

I missed it. Evan has about convinced me to get the CS though, that vid is compelling.