PDA

View Full Version : Revolver/Skiing?

04-15-2003, 10:10 AM
I'm looking into the best way to carry a .357 Python while skiing. The obvious choice would be Patrick's Handgun Bearer except that I ski with dogs pulling me, and the butt sling would presumably interfere with where the bearer pouch hangs?

Likewise, the strap on the side of the hip belt, for a holster, would presumably interfere with ski poling.

So, any recommendations on bandoliers or anything that could attach to the chest strap of a pack?

Kevin
04-15-2003, 08:12 PM
David, I put a 629 Smith in the handwarmer pouch, and it works fine. Better than you might expect, and it makes a dandy handwarmer.

Dale Lindsley
04-15-2003, 08:30 PM
David
I shouldn't be posting after drinking a beer, but I'm trying to picture you being towed on your skis by your dogs. Is the gun to shoot the dogs (or yourself) if they scent a rabbit or head for a cliff? Sounds like a blast.

Ed
04-16-2003, 05:50 AM
David,
I have a holster on my hip belt that my Taurus 41 mag rides in and it doesn't interfere with polling or even arm swing while running.

I often use wire ties to help secure holsters or pouches or to position them at the prefered angle. An awl on a Swiss Army knife will punch a pilot hole in a nylon holster so the wire tie can be threaded thru.

04-16-2003, 07:18 AM
David,

I've got a shoulder hoster that I've used to carry my 4" snake in for years. Wear it under my coat, so that may not be the solution ... if you want it at the "immediate" ready ... have to un-zip coat to draw it from holster. Can still carry a pack and/or rifle with the shoulder holster. I've carried the snake on the hip belt of the pack but prefer it in the wand pocket (cross draw) if I have the pack.

Not sure how any of this would work with your dog set up. Works okay for me with a climbing harness and have used the wand pocket method while cross country skiing.

boone

04-16-2003, 08:01 AM
Thanks guys, this gives me alot to work with and try out.

Dale, interestingly, one possibility is I may have to put down a severely injured dog. I hope it never happens to me but it does happen. Books on mushing even instruct you on how to do it.

Moose don't yield trail and nearly wiped out Susan Butcher's team once. The Collins twins carry a .44 mag. for similar reasons. God knows what I'll run into in Spring.

Anyway, its a hoot for sure. Here's a pic:

http://www.biglines.com/photo/pbpic9788.jpg

04-16-2003, 10:00 AM
David,
Looks like hoot for sure. I'd guess you'd want to be working with your best behaved dogs for that type of a hook up ... got a quick release for the bunny chase? Curious, is that a shot of you or a biglines snag?
boone

04-16-2003, 10:43 AM
Thats me on Cle Elum Ridge, WA, with a sprained ankle no-less. No moose danger there!

Three is about my limit without having them drag something inert, like the stove/tipi. No quick-release, although others recommend one. I use a locking 'biner. I'd rather not lose my dogs, I'm sure they'd never come back.

I don't obedience train them, but they know when they're in harness and what's expected of them. You can really tell when they pick up on game nearby, but they don't typically bolt off the trail.

The first mile after hookup is kinda dicey.

04-16-2003, 10:55 AM
David,
I tip my hat to ya ... wavos grande. (sp)?

04-16-2003, 11:16 AM
Back at ya, boone. I've never climbed.

Stan
04-16-2003, 11:25 AM
David,

I've used hip holsters while skiing and they work fine. A holster that has a belt slot that exactly fits your belt width is nice (or at least is tight), as it minimizes movement. I also like a type of cross chest holster made by Idaho Leather Company in Boise. It is cordura and has a padded shoulder strap and then the holster can be adjusted to ride up high, right on your chest or lower and attached to the belt on the opposite side of the shoulder strap ( in a cross draw configuration). It is nice in winter, as it can go over any clothing and isn't buried under a parka or coat. It is bit more floppy than a hip holster, but not excessive and your gun is more accessible.

Stan

Stan
04-16-2003, 11:56 AM
Moose sometimes spook me too. I have drawn a couple of times on some very angry looking cows with calves, but luckily never had to shoot. I have been diverted into horrible shin tangle, brush and swamps while skiiing to get around them. Once while hiking I blundered through the brush between a cow and calf and got semi-charged by the cow. I was trying to hold onto a big super-excited, freaking-out lab by the collar with my left hand and holding my .44 with my right hand. The cow stopped a few yards away with all her neck hair on end and fire in her eyes. The calf luckily decided to high tail it away and the cow ran after it.

Stan

04-16-2003, 12:28 PM
Stan, wow, thats a great selection of holsters they make. I'm gonna study up and order a shoulder type or bandoleer. I'd like something independent of the pack since the dogs drag it most times.

kevin, or Patrick, I could not find how the handwarmer pouch attaches to the pack. does it connect to the chest strap or lower, on the belt?

Stan, we were up in the bush in NW Ontario, fishing for pike and walleye. My dad was in the outhouse early one morning w/ the door open when a moose comes around the corner and heads straight at him. He's sitting there waving and stomping his feet like a madman! Best laxative he ever had.

04-16-2003, 01:13 PM
Kevin, I realize now that the handwarmer pouch is different from the handgun bearer pouch. I also found a photo. I think that will work w/o interfering w/ the skijor harness. Thanks.

David

04-23-2003, 11:57 AM
I just ordered a handwarmer pouch, paratarp, and new stovepipe.

I'll still get a shoulder holster to try different things. Thanks guys for all the advice. Thanks Patrick and Ed for making such outstanding equipment.