PDA

View Full Version : SST Pin talk

NYJim
04-03-2003, 07:01 PM
I have a new 4 man UL Tipi -yeah! Rather then on one long post, I wanted to discuss my experiences in parts.

The SST pins were absolutly needed for spring snow in NY. First of all you have the length (18" for short) that lets you get past the snow and bite right into the ground. This spring ground was of course soft and mushy, swallowing up the longest power peg. The pins get deep enough to hold very solidly. Secondly they are made of light weight aluminmum tubing that really takes a beating.

My only small gripe is that because they are made of tubing, they were packed with dirt and rocks after they were removed (in my trips). This probably doubles their weight, and could make them harder to pound in if you are traveling from camp to camp. I wonder how angle or "v" shaped stakes would perform compared to the tubing? A v shape would make it easy to wipe out the dirt and you would not need the eyebolt.

Like I said, a small gripe. These pins are light, strong, and I would not leave home without them in snow or soft ground.

-Jim

Patrick
04-03-2003, 08:06 PM
Hello Jim--

Welcome to the Board; I'm enjoying your posts.

The SST pins are the absolute best compromise for solidly pinning any tent to snow, sand or tundra (or, as you point out, mushy ground in general). The problem with angles is inadequate stregth-to-weight ratio when compared to the round tubes we use. Not even close, actually. Some tips: insert the pins, in snow, at a shallower angle so you don't penetrate down into the mud. Also, spray the insides of the tubes with silicone so if you do get muck inside it has a better chance of being knocked out. Like I said, they're a compromise. But your tipi WILL stay put, anywhere and no matter what. And they're still lighter than any mountaineering fluke even when filled with gunk! Work much better too. Capish?

Joe M
04-04-2003, 06:44 AM
Patrick, did you ever try retrofitting target arrow tips to the SST pins?

Patrick
04-04-2003, 01:39 PM
Joe--

Getting them, or anything else for that matter, to stay put is a real problem. As you probably know from using the pins in "firmer" tundra the tips have to be very tough.

Incidentally, a collapsable cleaning rod is really useful for cleaning the tubes, and I'm not sure I've mentioned this before. Duh.

Joe M
04-04-2003, 02:35 PM
How about crimping the bottoms shut?

Patrick
04-04-2003, 03:38 PM
Joe--

Then they bend and/or split. Even when we make an arrow-like point.

NYJim
04-04-2003, 04:08 PM
Good suggestion on the spray lube Patrick, I will make sure to try that.
Back at home I made use of a coat hanger, but I found hot water worked the best. It expanded the tube just enough to let the mud slide out.

04-05-2003, 07:24 AM
Patrick,

The arrow type point ... is that an insert or rolling the point over? Either way would require the pin to displace more of the material it is being driven into. Allowing the holding material to enter the tube requires displacement of the wall thickness only and the material in the tube may even add to the strength of the tube.

Joe M
04-05-2003, 08:23 AM
I was fortunate enough to have obtained Patrick's self crimping SST pins (joke). As I related in the last thread that we hashed over this, I have had to use a pipe cutter to cut off the ends before using the clothes hanger to clean them. I am also content to consider them disposible. That being said, it is a problem, and I hope someone much brighter than I comes up with a solution. Another possible solution that might hold securely in places that get alot of wind , but the soil is rocky would be to have a grommet with three solid pins that form a tripod. I have a set of tiedowns (Fly-ties) that work that way for my Super-cub that I use at remote locations. This would be very handy for sheep hunting.

Patrick
04-05-2003, 09:19 AM
Joe--

Good observation about multiple-pegging in rocky soil. I've done it many times. Don't need "grommet", just run two pegs thru the same tipi peg loop--one angled one way, the other angled the opposite way. I suppose you could even do three.

Joe M
04-05-2003, 10:18 AM
A plastic grommet with three predrilled holes and a hook at top, three pins (not hard to make) You could sell them as individual units. people can buy as many as they think they need. Look at <a href="http://www.flyties.com." target="_blank">http://www.flyties.com (http://www.flyties.com.).</a>