PDA

View Full Version : Cougars

Ed C
04-02-2003, 10:55 PM
Pointer
Thanks for the site I will investigate it some more.
Danner
We must talk more about cougars. I also am bothered by a back injury. We'll talk about that too.
Ed

Danner
04-03-2003, 08:20 PM
Ed C most the cats I hear of being harvested by hunters, just hunting cats seem to be people using snowmachines. I do know of a cat last year that a hunter havested using a preditor call. I will have to get better at my calling because I don't see a snowmobile in my near future.

Ed C
04-04-2003, 04:13 PM
Danner
How are they using snowmobiles. It's illegal to hunt from them I thought. Maybe you can use them for transportation then hunt on foot. It doesn't matter because my snowmobile is the MSR Denalli snowshoe that you strap on your feet. They work good here because we have wet snow, Patrick says they don't do well in powder. I have heard of guys getting on fresh tracks in the morning and walking one down and getting a look. I've heard of doing this for two or three years now. My theory is to stay on the tracks for as long as it takes. I've got a small stove and paratarp and sleeping bag. When it gets dark build a fire in the stove eat something and go to sleep. If I get cold fire up the stove for a while. If I didn't get a look at him by the second night then I could walk back out on the third day and try again another time. I know it sounds like a hair brained scheme but the more I think about it the more I want to do it. I'm not doing much after waterfowl season so that leaves Jan Feb and Mar. I'll do it. The predator calls add a whole different dimension. I need to find out what kind they are using. I have wounded rabbit calls, but I don't think thats what they're using. If you think of anything let me know. Thanks

Ed