PDA

View Full Version : Request for Kifaru Ultralight Initial Experiences/Impressions

Pardner
03-25-2011, 05:24 PM
For the lucky folks that have received their KU packs and accessories, how about sharing your initial experiences. Not necessarily asking for full-on reviews however those would also be great. What I was thinking was a description of your use to date, what you've put it through, and what your initial impressions/recommendations/concerns are of the kit the short time you have had it.

Thanks in advance.

ozarkrambler
03-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Awesome!! That is the only words to describe them. I normally walk 3-4 miles every evening carrying about 60 lbs. The 3700 seems to carry about like my longhunter guide. (Gen 1)

I'm going on an extended jaunt next week, so I'll know more when I get back.

jhayes6405
03-25-2011, 06:26 PM
Do you feel like you have to be careful with it? The fabric I mean, it is just Silnylon after all.

Any one who has one think they could make their way through an Alder thicket?

Lab-Roamer
03-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Light!!! I skied 5 miles each way with about 40lbs and it handled the weight well.

As far as ripping it, probably like any other fabric, catch it at the right angle and it will rip.

jhayes6405
03-25-2011, 06:47 PM
Light!!! I skied 5 miles each way with about 40lbs and it handled the weight well.

As far as ripping it, probably like any other fabric, catch it at the right angle and it will rip.

Yeah, I know it's not made to drag behind my truck and all, but low reaching limbs, you know, off trail type hazards.

stid2677
03-25-2011, 10:53 PM
Do you feel like you have to be careful with it? The fabric I mean, it is just Silnylon after all.

Any one who has one think they could make their way through an Alder thicket?

I have mine but have not tried it out yet, They are NOT Silnylon. The material is similar to what is used on Para-gliders. I have put my paratarp though hell for 3 years and it has no noticeable wear and it has been exposed to some crazy winds and alders. The bottoms of the pack are also a different stronger material. I have no worries that it will hold up to anything I can dish out to it.

Steve

hardworkingman
03-26-2011, 12:13 PM
I greatly miss the powerpull feature on my 3700. I feel that the absence of that feature greatly reduces the amount of weight I am able to "comfortably" carry. I will keep my longhunter at the trailhead for any hunt that requires multiple trips.

Phil
03-26-2011, 02:32 PM
hardworkingman: My ku 3700 has powerpulls. phil

Mattb
03-26-2011, 03:44 PM
I miss the frame sheet for providing more structure to the pack and the top pocket (I use a long pocket on top in its place). Beyond that, the 5200 should be a great pack, with the decreased weight being a reasonable trade-off for the lack of pockets, etc.

akwooly
03-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Initial impression of the 5200 was wow this is light. How is this going to hold 100+lbs? I have loaded it up to 90# and it rides really well. I have found that power pulls are unnecessary, I am able to cinch it down well without them. I am disappointed with the lack of Kifaru stickers, I figured after spending $600 they could have thrown in a handful of stickers.

njloco
03-26-2011, 09:59 PM
If it will make you happy, you can have my Kif. sticker ?

akwooly
03-26-2011, 10:45 PM
If it will make you happy, you can have my Kif. sticker ?

Yeah, it would. How did you get a sticker?

jhayes6405
03-27-2011, 04:59 PM
That's funny. I got one when I ordered an Omni belt by it's self, but not when I ordered a pack!

Patrick
03-28-2011, 08:19 AM
akwooly, Alisha in shipping says please email her with your address, etc., and she'll get some stickers headed your way. Says "very sorry"! email shipping@kifaru.net.

akwooly
03-29-2011, 10:01 AM
akwooly, Alisha in shipping says please email her with your address, etc., and she'll get some stickers headed your way. Says "very sorry"! email shipping@kifaru.net.

Thanks Patrick!

The pack is flawless.

njloco
03-29-2011, 03:07 PM
See, all you have to do is ask nicely, I'll keep mine now.

njloco
04-01-2011, 11:09 AM
Well it arrived today, and I loaded it up with bottles of water and liquid laundry detergent, came out to 28lbs. I don't think it's fitted up exact as yet but I wanted to get pics. up so some of my friends could drool,LOL:

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h477/njloco/IMG_1579-1.jpg

Hey, who's the handsome guy that is wearing my KU pack ?

It's snowing out and raining at the same time so I had to take the pics. inside.

First impressions, I thought the box was empty, that is how light it feels. I really don't have too much experience back packing as yet so don't put too much faith in what I say. It carries real well and seems to be very comfortable, plenty of room inside, and I can't imagine what this feels like with 80lbs especially since I probably couldn't even get it on my back let alone walk with it. I walked around the house for about one hour and like I said it carried real well, I guess only time will tell.

neargeezer
04-02-2011, 07:10 PM
Hi Ken,
Okay, I will now be officially envious until mine arrives, LOL. That 3700 looks like it fits you to a T. Congratulations on a great find.
Terry

jhayes6405
04-02-2011, 07:44 PM
Looks good on you Ken, glad your happy.
And you have a Sawtooth inbound! Christmas in April!

njloco
04-02-2011, 08:20 PM
Yes, you said it Joe, Christmas in April I'll post up pics. of everything as soon as it all arrives.

Terry, let me see some Pics. when yours arrives.

mb
04-06-2011, 05:51 AM
Unfortunately, Kifaru does not give details on the type of material. Patrick, anyone? But they do state that the material used in KU is the same as in tipis. My tipi, a few years old by now, is definitively made of silicon coated nylon. That's the best available fabric for tent flys. The main advantage of SilNyl vs. urethane coated nylon is its several times higher tensile strenght. This does matter for tent flys: A small rupture is much less likely to cause a catastropic 'rip-open'. I'd assume that the same advantage applies to packs. Otoh, SilNyl is worse than urethane nylon in abrasion strenght, and hence high-end tents often have ripstop silnyl flys and urethane nylon tent floors. And there's cordura on the bottom of a KU pack.

That said, I used for some time a silnyl sack (made of Hilleberg's heavier silnyl fly fabric) to cover my sleeping pad when attached externally to my pack. After several weeks worth of backpacking it got ruptured by some sharp dead branch. It's of course obvious that an ultralight fabric will not endure as much abuse as one made from 1000den cordura. Also, nylon is susceptible to UV degradiation, even with UV-protective coatings. Over time, this can be significant for thin nylon fabrics.

I'd expect an ultralight pack to need occasional repairs, and to require some care iin usage, and probably will not last as long as a cordura pack anyway. A trade-off, of course. Hence military usage is pretty much out of the question, except for some very special circumstances.

wolfmen
04-09-2011, 11:40 AM
My new KU5200, just got it a few days
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j222/wolfmen07/e7f40008.jpg

Real like the belt pocket, one hand operate and very handy.

Thank you Kifaru

Wolfmen

njloco
04-10-2011, 09:23 AM
Though I haven't used it as yet, I find the KU3700 to be very a pleasant feeling on the back. Being new to all of the Kifaru gear I'm not able to say too much at this time, except that it's made very well. This is my newly arrived Sawtooth along with the KU3700 and a G1 Siwash and Spike camp.

http://i1111.photobucket.com/albums/h477/njloco/IMG_1589.jpg

wolfmen
04-10-2011, 09:40 AM
Njloco ,I really can feel ur happiness after open the brown box, voz I just had same happiness after I got KU5200.
Enjoy it!

njloco
04-10-2011, 05:58 PM
You to brother, enjoy your KU5200, ( Love the brown box )

Although I won't be doing much hiking, I'll be using my gear this coming weekend in upstate NY. There is a trad. archery get together and I am going to try and make it.

stid2677
04-24-2011, 11:44 PM
I have some time with mine now, so far I like it.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r233/stid2677/Sheep%202011/IMGP3099.jpg

Steve

davesuvak
04-27-2011, 04:10 PM
I received my KU 3700 yesterday. I loaded it with 75 lbs of weight and went on a 3 mile hike. It is more comfortable than my G1 Siwash with the same weight.

When I opened the box I thought I made a mistake in not ordering the 5200 because it seemed so small but when I started to load it up it got bigger and bigger. It swallowed the 75 lbs with room to spare. This same load fills my Late Season and takes up a lot of space in the Siwash.

It has no problems carrying 75 lbs. As I increase the weight I'm guessing my legs will give out before the pack does.

Dave

John Havard
04-30-2011, 10:28 PM
My newly-arrived KU5200 is great. It weighs practically nothing. I put about 45# into it to adjust the straps and after getting things settled in it was very, very comfy.

One thing that seemed odd at first was the lack of a frame sheet. The back stays aren't held apart by a rigid frame sheet but that posed zero problems when carrying a modest load. When picking up the empty pack it feels different (because of the lack of a rigid frame sheet) but once loaded it's a dream to wear. The shape of the back stays fit my back perfectly. Since they aren't aluminum they can't be bent to personalize the back shape to the specific wearer but for all I know the laminated back stays might come in different back shapes.

After having owned an MMR and an EMR and an MMR with AG-2 frame as my large HD carry packs (as well as two Pointmen and two Express packs and did I mention a TG-1?) I don't think that switching to the KU series will cause me to give up anything that I need. I can carry the same loads without an extra 6-8# of backpack dead weight in addition. Excellent idea! Patrick has hit a home run with these packs.

Wanderlustr
05-10-2011, 03:21 PM
Just did a few miles with my new 5200 loaded with about 75#'s.
My first impressions out of the box - no surprises - the pack and the accessories were just like I expected. Super lightweight. The suspension is also lightweight (coming from mystery ranch packs) but it is less creaky and more comfortable for me with that weight then any other pack I have owned.
I loaded my 8 man, pole & pegs - liner - med stove - cooking gear - clothing..... all the list. Still wanting more weight I saw a unopened bag of dog food on the porch, so I slid that 35#'s in there too. Went and did my 5 mile loop with 1300 vert climb. I had no waist belt slip, no shoulder pain. The only hard part is getting the pack on, but that is not the packs fault - just a lot of weight in there (75 #'s +-). Once on, it was comfortable as a day pack.
A couple pics....

BB
05-26-2011, 05:45 PM
I think the fabric is "Cuban" cloth. It is a sail/parasail fabric, very spendy compared to silnylon

jinx667
06-22-2011, 11:16 AM
I think the fabric is "Cuban" cloth. It is a sail/parasail fabric, very spendy compared to silnylon

The fabric is most definitely NOT cuben fiber. Cuben does not have a grid.

This is cuben:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/jinx667/700sack.jpg

All three bags in this pic are cuben fiber.