PDA

View Full Version : Turkey Hunters

Jim S
04-02-2003, 03:23 PM
I have a question for the turkey hunters or actually turkey cookers. I have always skined the turkeys I have shot. This year I got a fryer. I have found that the turkey frys much better when the skin is left on. How do you get the feathers off and leave the skin on or am I doing something wrong when I fry without the skin? Thanks.

Liv2Hunt
04-02-2003, 05:46 PM
Turkey are much better when cooked with the skin on. I boil water in a large pot then dip the whole bird in scalding water for about a minute. The feathers will come off easy, including pin feathers. Repeat the process until plucking is complete. The quicker after the kill, the better.
If not satisfied with results, just peel away skin after cooking. All birds are much juicier when cooked with skin on, no matter what the process of cooking is.

William Clunie
04-03-2003, 04:24 AM
The boiling method works fine if you have a HUGE pot to boil them in. If not, just pull the feathers off as soon as possible (while the bird is still warm). Some fine, hairy stuff may be left, and can be burned off with a propane torch for a more appetizing appearance. Bon appetite!

Patrick
04-03-2003, 05:45 AM
Hey William--

I'm old enough to have been exposed to formerly "normal" housewifery--in this case my Grandma. Come Sunday dinner a chicken out back was selected and killed. Then the feathers were pulled out. And then the remaining fuzz was singed off--over a stove burner. If it was a woodstove a lid was removed, revealing a fine flame to do the job. Sometimes a little fire out back. Soccer moms of today would faint. ("I'm supposed to do WHAT?") Which is of course part of the problem with "today", politics-wise. But that's a whole 'nother topic.

shu
04-03-2003, 08:20 AM
Jim-

Having plucked a fair number of turkeys (and a lot of waterfowl) I much prefer to dry-pick. If it is done soon after the kill and you don't rush (pluck a very few feathers at a time) it comes out as good or better than scalding with a lot less mess. One concern with scalding is 'parboiling' the bird if it is left in the water too long.

While I believe waterfowl are best dipped in paraffin to remove the down, singeing works well with turkeys and the like. I have actually singed turkeys with a lighter with good results.

shu

Jim S
04-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Thanks guys. Now all I have to do is shoot one. Season starts next Saturday can't wait.

William Clunie
04-17-2003, 05:19 AM
I got a turkey permit this year and I'm going to singe him with some # 4's! I also won a turkey frier at a sportsman's show. Lucky year for me I guess. We'll see how my luck holds up in the turkey woods. Happy hunting to you all. And doom and gloom on the bambi crowd!