PDA

View Full Version : Snowshoes??s

buck
03-30-2003, 08:34 PM
I know zero about snowshoeing but now that I have a tipi and stove want to do more winter adventures. Would someone give a quick crash course on the what/where/when on types and what to expect to pay. How deep of snow, say powder, does it take before they are beneficial? Any info would be greatly appreciated. (Birthday this week!!)

Buck

Sgathak
03-31-2003, 12:43 AM
depends on alot of factors... especially with traditional models.

the main factors are your weight (with gear if youll be carrying any) and the terrain. The more open the terrain, the thinner and longer the snowshoes need to be.

depending on size, materials, and contruction prices will run you between $75 and $200

Personally, I like MSR's Denali series... they are extendable to account for weight, snow type, and terrain with 4" or 8" tails.

And as for when to use them... any time the snow is deep enough that you expend MORE energy walking in the snow without snowshoes, than you would carrying the weight of the shoe on yur foot. For me, that about upper ankle to knee depending on snow type.

Patrick
03-31-2003, 05:35 AM
Sgathak--

Interesting that you like those MSR shoes. Bill Forrest and I designed them and subsequently sold them to MSR--who is doing well with them as I hear. I did the the tails and the brake parts. Your advice to Buck is spot-on. I muchly prefer back country skis (but skis take MUCH longer to master) and so will leave you (and others) to help get Buck underway. Buck, I do highly commend you for wanting to use the tipi/stove in winter. Trust me, you'll have a nice, warm BLAST. And small game hunting will be exceptional. Go for it.

buck
03-31-2003, 11:46 AM
Thanks for the info.

Patrick--I was thinking about ski's but thought them too cumbersome to pack in. No? I don't mind taking the time to master the proficiency if they would be more efficient in the long run. So, what would a guy look for in BC skis? Can a X-country ski go anywhere that a snowshoe can go?

Buck

Patrick
04-02-2003, 11:01 AM
Buck--

Hoo boy! Yeah, I can slither thru the thick stuff with skis when snowshoes get hung up. And deep, deep Colorado powder is knee-deep on any snowshoe--even if you have garbage can lids on your feet. The problem then becomes lifting that shoe all the way back out before you can proceed. But with skis you slide the ski forward and up--much, much easier. And much much faster, especially on the flats and downhills.

I am not kidding about really learning to ski before any of this comes out crystal clear. Go down to REI and talk to them about what you want to do...tell 'em I sent you. All my gear is so old as to probably not being produced anymore. Talk to 'em about skins for the skis...a must.

There is nothing any more fun, and focusing, than slinking thru good snowshoe bunny woods on a pair of skinned-up skinny skis! And hey, you have a much better chance of chasing one down if you're on skis!

Patrick

NYJim
04-03-2003, 06:28 PM
Hey Buck,

I also have the MRS Denali Acent's and they have proven to be very durable, with one exception. The earlier models use a flawed material in the bindings and mine did eventually tear, but MSR did repair them.

Though they are a little loud at times, they provide a lot of control on steep terrian. Floation in deep snow with and gear is not that great to me even with the add on tails (I am 190 + 25-50lbs gear. Great bang for the buck.

However in my quest to lighten my load, I will be getting these when the MSR's break. http://www.northernlites.com/backcountry.htm#Top

buck
04-03-2003, 06:46 PM
NYJim

Thanks for the info. Both the shoes and skis have me really interested. At this time of year I think I'll wait until late summer to buy and that'll give me time to research and shop for good buys.
The winter camping and small game hunting is appealing to me as much or more than my big game hunting.
Something about chasing fresh cooked bunny, or grouse, with hot coffee, after a long day "a field" in fresh powder that is getting to me.

BB