PDA

View Full Version : News on coming products

Patrick
03-18-2011, 08:26 AM
Hello gents, I think I should bring you up to date on developments regarding upcoming items that we're wrapping up for introduction soon. Some of these things many of you have been asking about.

---KU Cargo Chair. Looks like it's going to weigh about seven ounces. We've carried 200lbs. of weight on it--affixed to my old prototype 5200 pack--so it'll get the job done.

---Sawtooth Liner. (Bushwhack, you can stop beating me up now.)

---Large Belt Pouch for the KU Packs.

---KU GPS Pouch.

---KU #11 Lock & Load Pouch.

---Folding Chair. I've been working on this a very long time. I've been hankering for a lightweight "real" chair--one with a back rest, and that sits at "normal" height so that one doesn't have to drop clear to ground level for getting in and out of the dang thing. I think I have it! It weighs 1lb. 10oz. and does exactly what I just described. It'll be undergoing more testing so it may lag behind the items mentioned above in getting Introduced. If it passes all tests (which I'm confident enough that it will to release this tip) you're probably going to really like this thing! I sure do!

I think that's about it. The timing on introducing these items is hard to pin down. Establishing final production patterns and proceedures and gathering costs is part of the wrapping-up process. Of greater import is finding a slot in production. We're well underway now at building the KU Packs and Accessories that have already been introduced. Adding these new items may take a little time. My main purpose here is to give you a heads up that some of the things you men have been asking for ARE forthcoming. I trust this will help you make plans accordingly.

rambler_wannabe
03-18-2011, 08:38 AM
OH, a sub 2 lb chair, that has a HUGE market potential. Pics please ASAP.

spoolup
03-18-2011, 09:22 AM
Im in for a GPS pouch (hope for velcro attachment like the std current pouch), a sawtooth liner, and a camp chair! Still waiting for the return of packlock garments, hopefully they get re-released early enough to place order before next hunting season. Keep up the outstanding work Patrick, Mel, Angie, and the rest of the Kifaru Team!

Im still waiting for the 3700 and a few other things, looks like Ive missed my est ship date by 5 days now... Not like I do not already have enough Kifaru equipment to fill a few rubbermaid totes in the garage already. Just eagerly looking forward to the KU stuffs.

EDIT to add, Just got a call from Kifaru, looks like its going out today, they needed to know what handed I am for the gunbearer! Thank you Kifaru.

bjones
03-18-2011, 09:26 AM
Thanks for the update Patrick; I'm excited to see how the folding chair turns out.

Ben

snakey2
03-18-2011, 09:45 AM
I have been looking high and low for a chair for backpack camping applications that will make my back happy. Sounds as if you are going to have it. My back applauds you.

flamingo 7
03-18-2011, 09:49 AM
The folding chair is exquisite! I got a chance to do a “test sit” this week and it’s absolutely first rate. At a time when the knees and ankles protest too much, a chair off the ground is a welcome sight at the end of a day. A chair off the ground with a back is like discovering you brought an extra celebration beer buried in the pack. I’ve my own camp stool sitting next to me as my portable desk, and have been pondering its own modification. I hesitate to make suggestions, but I can’t help but think that the new KU Cargo chair would make a suitable back and it’s attachments shouldn’t be hard to engineer, either as it now stands or by moving the chair back 90 on the frame. I plan on trying that with my Cargo Chair/camp stool.

evanhill
03-18-2011, 09:50 AM
That chair sounds great. I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Ralph
03-18-2011, 10:15 AM
I was going to comment on the chair, but I see a few beat me to it. Age, beaten up knees and generally creaky joints make a real chair very desirable. Don't worry you younger guys, you will get there soon enough. The closest I've seen is the Roll-A-Chair, but that is heavier and a bit bulky. I will really be interested in seeing what Patrick dreamed up.

My Power Lounger (early version of the Field Chair) and the Therm-A-Rest Compack chair are both comfortable but low. Getting into either isn't nearly as difficult as getting out - having a walking staff (or a canoe paddle) helps.

wolfmen
03-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Oh Mr. Patrick, when will you stop get the money from my wallet??? But I am really enjoy it.
Thank you ,Patrick.

Chucker
03-18-2011, 10:46 AM
I am REALLY looking forward to that chair as well.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a282/Chuck45/237_recliner1.jpg

snowdevil
03-18-2011, 11:03 AM
Here you go with a couple of shots of that camp chair (names, anyone?).
Nice and stable, and sure beats the wal-mart style chair with the cup holder that I take canoeing! Maggie5415

snakey2
03-18-2011, 11:29 AM
That looks like it has the AHHH factor. Older is not necessarily better when it comes to backs and sitting on the ground etc. Very cool.

ozarkrambler
03-18-2011, 12:45 PM
Does this mean the Pac Loc clothing is going to be available again soon?

Ozark

Andy_in_NH
03-18-2011, 01:18 PM
---Folding Chair. I've been working on this a very long time. I've been hankering for a lightweight "real" chair--one with a back rest, and that sits at "normal" height so that one doesn't have to drop clear to ground level for getting in and out of the dang thing.

So this chair didn't make the cut?

bjones
03-18-2011, 01:25 PM
That is awesome Andy_in_NH. That's all I got to say :cool:

Ben

spoolup
03-18-2011, 01:58 PM

Im not even going to ask how you guys got that out there, but dam that is a great photo. HAHAHA. Reminds me of one of the guys that I head out with. He takes a wall tent to drink beer in when its snowing. Has a propane assisted pit, since starting the fire sucks. And still heads up in a trailer just for sleeping. Im going to have to show him this just tog et his take on it. Thanks again for the good laugh.

Vernon
03-18-2011, 04:57 PM
That chair looks a lot like a stool that my backpacking buddy takes with a back attached. Looks like ultralight fabric to reduce the weight. Now if the legs were carbon fiber or titanium it might just float. :-)

Robbie
03-18-2011, 05:24 PM

I was thinking the same thing. Evidently OSHA and a few engineers got involved. I am surprised that photo was released being a superduper secret black op if I tell yah I gotta killya photo. Some kind of conspiracy I bet. Wasn't there also a best handgun,bow,rifle,switch for bear in the same study/focus group involved?

Ken
03-19-2011, 05:39 AM

Apparently not, but man was the R&D fun!

wolfmen
03-19-2011, 08:02 AM
That chair looks a lot like a stool that my backpacking buddy takes with a back attached. Looks like ultralight fabric to reduce the weight. Now if the legs were carbon fiber or titanium it might just float. :-)

Agree with you. I have same stool from coleman and the weight is close. For me the coleman one is too bulky to carry. I still love my field chair.
Love to see it come out and more review from other.

firecog
03-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Patrick,
Any chance you guys are looking at putting out hybrid mid-longs (standard not UL) ? A post from Mel awhile back seemed to indicate that they were in the works. I know there's been a lot of interest.

thewolverine
03-20-2011, 09:05 PM
How about calling the chair Ndama? I believe it translates to "calf" in Swahili, but it just struck me that the little chair there is as tough as anything Kifaru but looks like a little calf offspring.
In any case- Sign me up for one.. :)

rambler_wannabe
03-21-2011, 09:03 AM
Is that chair using the cargo chair as the back? or can it be attached to the pack like a cargo chair??

Patrick
03-21-2011, 02:31 PM
Rambler, I'll look into that...it's not the way this prototype is rigged presently, but that's why it's still a prototype.

Firecog, we'll get after that hybrid mid long when we're able.

Thanks, gents.

John Havard
03-21-2011, 10:28 PM
Patrick, I've been lusting after a sho-nuf chair that weighs very little for some time. It's definitely an unfilled niche. My only observation/question would be whether the axle pin connecting the front and back legs will be sturdy enough. If it is I'll take two of them right now. You can call it John's chair if you want (or my Indian name - Wind In His Hair's chair). The latter has a bit more pleasing alliteration albeit a bit longer, nes't pa?

John

larryschwartz
03-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Patrick,

The new chair looks like it would be perfect for a natural or commercial ground blind. I'll have to get one when they come out. One change I would make it to use a wider, rounder foot on the legs so that it doesn't sink into the softer ground we often run into when hunting.

Tim in Washington
03-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Patrick,when will those chairs be avail. ?And have you thought about sewing some loops inside if the KU packs so that you could sort of lace up a meat bag and keep it in a nice neat column instead of forming a ball at the bottom of the pack ?

Ridgetop
03-27-2011, 10:21 PM
Patrick,when will those chairs be avail. ?And have you thought about sewing some loops inside if the KU packs so that you could sort of lace up a meat bag and keep it in a nice neat column instead of forming a ball at the bottom of the pack ?

+1 on the inside loops, started another thread with this same question in mind.

Patrick
03-28-2011, 08:26 AM
Tim, I'm just back from a ramble, testing, among other things, the latest iteration of the Chair. Still making refinements. As to when it'll be ready to introduce...when it's done. That's about the best I can do as an answer. I'm sure loving this thing!

I responded to that interior meat hauling question on the thread that Ridgetop initiated.

larryschwartz
04-01-2011, 01:38 PM
Man, this has turned into a Chair thread rather than just a New Products thread. That's OK cause I like the chair a lot.

Patrick, will the chair support my 265# but or will I break it if I flop down onto it.

Patrick
04-02-2011, 09:45 AM
firecog, the heaviest person to use it thus far weighed in at 235. I'll need to figure a way to test its top capacity. I'd like it to accomodate 275-ish. I think if I weighed 275 I'd be reasonable about "flopping" into chairs that weigh a pound ten. Just sayin'. <smile>

billybass
04-02-2011, 01:32 PM
Too bad you didn't have it at the ECR, I would have given it some punishment ;)

Ed C
04-02-2011, 03:32 PM
Patrick

I have a friend I hunt and fish with he weighs 340lbs.
Send a couple a them GEEZER CHAIRS out here and we'll put the test on em for you.
Just tryin to help.:cool:

wolfmen
04-28-2011, 10:22 AM
Hello

Any update for the KU KU Cargo Chair or other KU accessories?

I would like to order some accessories.

thank you

wolfmen

Patrick
04-28-2011, 01:12 PM
Hi wolfmen,

The Chair has been tested to 275 lbs. Had to go to stainless steel binding post screw sets for the leg pins to get there. The task now is to simply put more sitting time in it. So far so good.

It looks like we have a viable KU Cargo Chair developed. Tested through 200 lbs. on my old 5200. A bit more time with it wouldn't hurt either.

So perhaps this summer we'll be ready to go "live" with these itmes.

wolfmen
04-28-2011, 02:42 PM
Thank you Mr. Patrick

Now i think i only can save more money and wait. ha ha

thank you

Wolfmen