PDA

View Full Version : would the UL5200 fit my hunting needs

Skipperjim
03-16-2011, 10:22 AM
I want to pick some brains,My son and I are planning a wilderness elk hunt this sept.I,ve already ordered an 8 man t-pie and large stve.I need a good backpack.We will be hiking in about 5-10 miles set up camp for 1-week.We will be hunting daily with a possible spike camp gear(i:e paratipi which I already have)I am thinking seriously about the g2 LH but intriged with the 5200 UL.I'm a meat processor so I have no problem boning out an animal.Is the UL a reasonable option? Or would I be happier with the G2LH.While hunting I don't like to have too big of a bulk on my back.Can anyone relate?by the way we will be bow hunting.

davesuvak
03-16-2011, 11:01 AM
I haven't received my UL pack to verify its capabilities but from what you describe the UL 5200 should work. I plan to use my UL 3700 in a similar way.

Skipperjim
03-16-2011, 01:13 PM
thanks Dave for your feedback,do you have any 1st hand experience withthe G2 LH?

Kmassaro
03-16-2011, 02:42 PM
Patrick has been elk hunting with his UL prototypes for years. I think his first prototype was built over ten years ago. He doesn't put it out in the marketplace unless he has tested the living hell out of it in the field.

davesuvak
03-16-2011, 02:52 PM
I don't have 1st hand experience with G2 LH. I have a G1 Late Season and G1 Siwash and both are fantastic packs. I was about to place an order for a G2 LH and then the KU products came out causing me to change my mind. I ended up buying a KU 3700 with KU pods and a KU E&E. I'm still thinking of getting a G2 LH hauler (LH without the bag) because with the cargo chair it can carry things I wouldn't consider carrying with a KU pack such as firewood, 6 gallon container of water, injured person, etc. If I order a LH hauler I would order it with the KU stays to save about 1/2 lb. Also you can attach pods and pouches to the LH Hauler including the KU pods (with adapters). I'm hoping that Kifrau produces a KU bag for the LH frame some day.

Dave

Biggs300
03-16-2011, 07:01 PM
I recently ordered a G2 LH standard but strongly considered the UL5200. The only reason I went with the LH was for its versatility. I really like the ability to remove the bag and use it in conjunction with the cargo seat as a "Hauler". Although I'm an old guy, guess I'm willing to give up weight for versatility. We have a 2nd season, CO elk hunt planned so, time will tell if I made the right decision....but, I think I did.

Kmassaro
03-16-2011, 08:38 PM
I had dinner with Patrick tonight. He knows that the UL5200 will hold 200 lbs, measured, and hold up. His latest prototype has two years of elk hauling on it, and other stuff.

The stuff will not give out before your knees. It's too noisy for me, as I like to bowhunt a lot....but it's tough. To bowhunt with it, I'd want to cover it with a cotton or fleece shirt.

oldpinecricker
03-16-2011, 10:23 PM
I had dinner with Patrick tonight. He knows that the UL5200 will hold 200 lbs, measured, and hold up. His latest prototype has two years of elk hauling on it, and other stuff.

The stuff will not give out before your knees. It's too noisy for me, as I like to bowhunt a lot....but it's tough. To bowhunt with it, I'd want to cover it with a cotton or fleece shirt.

Not trolling here, but 200 lbs is an phenonominal amount of weight to be carried in mountain terrain. How in the world is Patrick carrying pack weights which exceed his body weight, and haul it enough long term enough without the pack coming apart or causing personal physical injury?

Kmassaro
03-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Patrick didn't carry it, and I didn't say he did. Aron Snyder did. Aron is a young,pardon the impression, shaved ape.

The young man is cape buffalo strong.

Mattb
03-16-2011, 11:33 PM
I only have a couple of hikes with a KU pack, but it is my impression that it is a quieter fabric once broken in than the cordura use on the G1 and G2 lonhunters I have owned.

Skipperjim
03-17-2011, 01:41 PM
thanks for taking of your time to comment