PDA

View Full Version : Ramblers and Ultra mags

Joe M
03-28-2003, 06:49 PM
Is the Rambler compatible with the ultra-mag cartridges? What would be the pros and cons? What about the Lazzeroni wildcats? Could the action handle the pressures?

Patrick
03-28-2003, 08:11 PM
Joe--

The rifle actions can handle any cartridge, period. Pro, with respect to the Ultras, is speed. So is the con--I don't think such speed is necessary. You will definitely need our brake, even for field shooting.

Joe M
03-28-2003, 09:16 PM
I love a properly designed brake, so that really isn't a problem. I am really impressed with your confidence in the strength of your action, especially when you consider the non-existent weight. Does it have a claw extractor? What extractor did you choose and why?
I am happy I never held one of those. I know it would be bad for my bank account.

Patrick
03-29-2003, 07:23 AM
Hi Joe--

Aw, just forego some doodad for the Super Cub <grin>.

We use Remington actions, which we can make considerably lighter than any other. NOT claw extractor. Interestingly, a potential customer phoned me recently and declared the problem with a push-feed action is that it won't work when--for whatever reason--the rifle is upside down. I suppose such a situation could occur if a big 'ol growler has got ahold of you. Whatever, I suggested to the caller that we try an experiment. So I put him on speakerphone and loaded up my own Rambler, turned it upside down and jacked four rounds thru it. Nary a cartridge fell to the floor--or whatever it's supposed to do that's a no-no. Anyway, I did this several times. The caller, and myself, were impressed, needless to say. Anyway, I've hunted dangerous critters on two continents and those good old Remington actions have never skipped a beat. I fail to see what the big hoopla is about, vis-a-vis claw vs. push actions.

Patrick

Joe M
03-30-2003, 09:31 AM
I never had a remington action fail until this year. It was on a Buffalo hunt. I felt lucky because it was my bear protection rifle. My theory is that the barrel was cold (Alaska cold) and the extractor was worn (I use my .375 a lot). It would only leave the casing after the first shot on a cold day! An expanded warm casing and a cold barrel with a worn extractor seems like a bad combo. My hunting partner had the same problem with his .375 Remington action last year. Nothing is perfect, everything has advantages and disadvantages. Your rifle is well designed and is all about weight. It is a great option to have available. I personally like the high-speed, flat-shooting, most of the time excessive and unnecessary options. I hope that someday they are available in the Rambler. Would they add weight?

Patrick
03-30-2003, 11:21 AM
Joe--

I'll estimate a Winchester action would add 8 to 12 ounces.

Joe M
03-30-2003, 12:18 PM
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but do you need to have a winchester action to shoot the ultra mags? Which direction do your muzzle brakes vent?

Patrick
03-30-2003, 08:31 PM
Joe--

No, any magnum long action will handle the Ultras. For some reason I thought you were sold on Winchester actions. Fact is, a claw extractor can be installed on a Remington...we've done it.

Brake holes face a bit rearward, but not so much as to singe your eyebrows, or even knock your hat off...just enough to make you want to wear earplugs!