PDA

View Full Version : Washington high hunt?

Danner
03-27-2003, 08:27 PM
Does Any body from the Northwest hunt the Sept 15 high hunt? If so, do any good? I think I will give it a try this year. During August and September bear season see alot of nice bucks. I also hear there are alot of people on the hunt. So it might be its not worth it. Person might focus on general season.

Ed C
03-28-2003, 10:29 AM
Danner
I have gone on a lot of high hunts in the past. Packed into the Paysaten Wilderness a couple of times, Glacier Peak Wilderness, once took a boat up Lake Chelan then backpacked. I never took a buck, but had oppertunities on small ones [3point]. We saw a lot of game deer,bear,cougar, it was rare to see another hunter. So I would say the trips were successful. I'm still in the mountains in Sept. but I,m scouting elk.

Get your maps out find Pole Ridge behind Lake Wennache and Fish Lake. Then find Parrot Peak. I know a guy that took 4 4points in 4 consecutive years out of there. He wouldn't mind me telling this, because you have to get yourself in there then you have to get a deer out. So you've earned it. Not many people will get in there. If you run into someone ask him if his name is Spike and tell him I sent you.
Good Luck
Ed

Danner
04-02-2003, 08:00 PM
Ed.C
Thanks for the reply, I was just curious I have never hunted over in Leavenworth area. Might give it a try. I also around the end of September start packing in my elk camp and scouting.But its not in the high hunt unit. Would like to do more back pack hunting, and look for any local season that gives me a reason to hunt and get out.

Ridgerunner
04-03-2003, 07:23 AM
I have hunted the high hunt here in WA several times. I'm not willing to give out any spots or secret areas but I will say that I have often run into quite a few hunters and the hunting can be very tough depending upon the weather. It took me 3 serious high hunts before getting my first buck on a high hunt. That said it is a very enjoyable hunt and one that I look forward to every year, some years it is a tough, tough hunt like 2000 when I only saw 2 bucks and 3 does in 4 days but then there are years where I've seen 5-6 bucks per day. It is very weather dependent, if it is hot and 75-80 during the day you are only going to have very limited hunting time, first and last half hour of light.

One other thing I have heard and seen is that the Lake Wenatchee area gets hunted the hardest of the high hunt areas. Plan on getting away from the trails and perhaps pick one of the lesser hunted areas, i.e. Pasayten or Alpine Lakes areas, get in awesome shape and enjoy one of the better hunts offered in WA, even if it doesn't have the highest success rates. The way I look at it is I've always got the general hunt to fall back on if the high hunt doesn't work out.