PDA

View Full Version : Are the KU Packs Waterproof??

stid2677
03-12-2011, 08:50 PM
Got my new KU 5200 pack today and started working out my load plan. Since the packs are made from the same material as the shelters it would seem to me that they should be fairly waterproof and therefor not need a pack cover. Thoughts?????

Steve

Mattb
03-13-2011, 03:37 PM
I had the same hope but a 4 mile hike in the rain told me otherwise. I presume it is the seams that were letting water in, but the pack contents got fairly damp.

Patrick
03-13-2011, 05:42 PM
Hello stid, the fabric is waterproof, the seams are not. You can seam seal them. Another approach is to place pack contents in plastic bags...or one big one. A cover helps, but doesn't enclose the back of the pack.

Say, I've been meaning to advise you on something I noticed about your pack in those terrific photos of your hunts last fall. Kept slipping my mind, but now that I have your attention there's this:

I noticed that the shoulder lift straps angle was very low. I doubt we would have sent the pack to you with the angle that low; I also doubt you would have lowered it yourself. I think that wet weather and very heavy loads have stretched the strap that the lifter adjustment rides on, over time. We tighten that "rider" strap as tight as we can here at the shop but wet weather and big loads can result in it stretching, which allows the adjustmant mechanism to move dowward. BUT, all you have to do is move it back up and retighten the rider strap. It will very likely hold forever this time, as the "breaking in" period is over.

Check it out. You'll like the results. Holler if you need further instruction on how to do it. Very simple and fast.

stid2677
03-13-2011, 09:33 PM
Thank you Sir for your reply, advice, great products and customer service.

Steve

Take-a-knee
03-13-2011, 10:20 PM
WOW! Talk about personalized customer service!

bmstrong
03-20-2011, 10:05 PM
Any chance of ordering a nonPALS Koala UL? I'm not a fan of seam sealing or bagging everything, my next choice would be to have a Koala or pack built beforehand without seams or stitches, as much as I could. A stripped Koala, sans PALS and tabs and flaps, made from the UL fabric, should be highly waterproof?

Mattb
03-26-2011, 04:46 PM
I have been seam sealing away on my 5200 (LOTS of seams) and may be able to test it tomorrow. If we get wet, I will let you know how seam sealing works versus the un-seam sealed performance.

Reid
06-27-2011, 09:59 PM
Hi MattB,

How did the seam sealing work?

Just picked up my pack and think I will seal it up which should allow me to limit my internal stuff sacks and distribute my clothing around the other gear to fill out the pack volume nice and even.

Can you send pictures of your sealing job?

Did you seal outside or inside. It would seem much easier to seal the inside vs outside....

Anyhow I just got my KU5200 and I love it. Test run of full load over 3 miles around the dirt roads at my home proved a very comfortable set up, on par with my G2 5200 much to my surprise.

I do need longer stays though the 24" didn't provide enough lift for my 5'11" frame with 34" inseam. My G2 LH has longer stays which explains the nice lift I get with that pack. Still love my G2....

Thanks for input in advance
Reid

Mattb
06-30-2011, 12:14 AM
I did not have a chance to test the pack. While I doubt eh job made it water tight, I presume it improved the water repellancy. I seam sealed it from the inside, so pics would pretty much look like the inside of your pack with seam sealer on the seams. ;-)

Reid
07-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Thank you Sir...I think I will seal my 5200 as well....let you know how it works...

sheep hunter
07-02-2011, 10:19 AM
Maybe Patrick needs to come up with a pack cover for these packs made from UL material? What say you Patrick?

Woods Walker
07-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Pack covers never worked for me in hard rain. Best to put stuff inside a dry sack or trash bag though my poncho also covers the pack.

Patrick
07-02-2011, 01:36 PM
Hi Terry,

You have a point there; it may take a while--other projects are ahead of KU covers--but we will look into it if there's more demand. Our standard covers are available now just so you know. They don't weigh much. And other manufacturers make really good covers too...like Integral Designs especially. (We are forced by circumstances of keeping up with orders to focus on what we do absolutely best.) Lastly, as Woods Walker knows, rain covers do not solve the problem of rain getting to the pack from the side against your back. I have long used internal protection, thin plastic bags particularly.

sheep hunter
07-02-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks Patrick. I have a Kifaru cover for my Siwash that should fit the UL 3700. I'll give it a shot. If that doesn't work I have a cover that I used to use on Barney Bob's frame Alaska packs.

stid2677
07-03-2011, 02:39 PM
I seam sealed my KU5200 with the sealer that comes with new tents. It seemed to work well during my spring bear hunts. I do however use at least 2 layers of protection to keep my stuff dry. I will sometimes use a compactor plastic bag as a liner, this also works well for keeping blood out of your pack when hauling game bags of meat. I also use various other light weight bags to both protect from water and to organize my gear. Oven baking bags weigh almost nothing and are both durable and water tight. I often cross many rivers and streams and like to have some extra protection for my sleeping bag and spare clothing in case me and the pack goes for a unexpected swim, plus it really likes to rain in Alaska at times.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r233/stid2677/PWS%202011/IMGP1018.jpg

Steve

jinx667
07-09-2011, 12:47 AM
I have also seam sealed mine, but I use a sea to summit 70L pack liner in my 5200, then the bear canister on top of that with another dry bag with my layers on top of that.

Wet gear is no fun.

Sawtooth
07-18-2011, 07:47 PM
I use a down bag, so I pay attention to how much water gets into my KU3700! However, given the number of stitch holes in the pack, I just didn't see seam sealing it as a viable option. I put my down sleeping bag in a Regulator stuff sack and then stuff it into an UL dry bag that Wal-Mart sells, or at least used to (thanks CCH for that tip a couple of years ago). Anything else I want to stay dry gets put first in a Wal-Mart (Safeway, Costco, Target...you get the idea) bag and then put in the pack. If you watch how you wrap them, they keep the water out. My "food bag" is also now a Wal-Mart bag. My gear has been staying dry.

Sawtooth
07-18-2011, 07:52 PM
Forgot to mention that I also use a UL pack cover...made by Mountain Ridge Gear (our own gonehuntn).

JNG
08-16-2011, 09:02 AM
Hi Terry,

Our standard covers are available now just so you know. They don't weigh much.

Where do we find these? I don't see them anywhere on the site.

Patrick
08-16-2011, 09:35 AM
JNG, I have no idea. Suggest you email Maggie (marketing@kifaru.net) and she can provide you a link.

MojoSlim
08-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Where do we find these? I don't see them anywhere on the site.

Hey JNG,

Here ya go: https://kifaru.net/supportgear.html

https://kifaru.net/images/packrc1.jpg