PDA

View Full Version : Knives?

pointer
03-27-2003, 12:54 PM
What knives and or multitools do you guys carry with you when hunting from a pack? I currently carry a Colt Serengeti Skinner, which is great for gutting and skinning, but it is too heavy.

Sgathak
03-27-2003, 03:19 PM
Personally... I like the Cold Steel Bushman.

I normally carry between 3 and 7 cutting tools with me. Heavy? yup... but you never know when, where, or why you may need to cut something.

I always carry a tactical knife (Emerson CQC-7)in my front pocket, a fixed blade (Bushman or Next-Gen KaBar) either on my thigh or in my pack, and a Cold Steel Spetsnaz Shovel (more uses than anything else I carry)

If I drag along other blades (rare, but known to happen if circumstances require it)... I carry a SAK Spartan (in large survival kit), Gerber MultiPlier (taped to ruck shoulder strap), Gerber Camp Ax, and a Saw of somesort.

Ed C
03-27-2003, 05:38 PM
Pointer

I have lots of knives. I settled on a Cold Steel Pendelton MiniHunter 2.4oz. Gerber Fiscar saw 3oz. The Mini Hunter is the best knive I've ever had in my opinon. It will do a good job of skinning and capping. It's plenty good to bone an elk. It is thick enough in the back to split wood if I have to get dry firewood. It's hollow ground and sharp as a razor because I sharpened it even more. And it weighs nothing.

If I was just going on a meat hunt or regular hunt with nothing to cape for mounting, I would carry the Swiss Army knive "Hunter" that Kevin turned us on to. I was skeptical at first, but after playing with one for about 30 minutes I became a believer. It looks like a great tool for the backpack hunter. Thanks Kevin I'm going to find out this fall on a cow hunt if I'm lucky.

This is a good topic. You'll probably get many different answers. I'm interested in finding out what everybody uses. How about in Alaska.
Good Luck
Ed

03-27-2003, 08:20 PM
Swiss Army Hunter to bone a cow elk last fall. Thanks Kevin

pointer
03-28-2003, 05:37 AM
Thanks for the tips. Anyone use the One Handed Trailmaster?

Sgathak
03-28-2003, 05:44 AM
I would but dont like fully serrated blades... but the feel is good and it seems very functional.

William Clunie
03-28-2003, 12:44 PM
I use a Master Hunter by Cold Steel. Other knives just don't hold the edge as long as this one, and it doesn't slip out of your hand when you are up to your elbows in moose innards.
I have a Buck knife at home with a skinning blade, and small hack-saw to complete the job. It the temps are cool enough, I like hanging the meat for a few days. Maybe this is just an excuse to take a break after the hunt, but it seems to tenderize the meat.

SubDoc
03-28-2003, 04:36 PM
Wayne Clay, Folding Walker Hunter in front pocket and Cold Steel Master Hunter in ruck.

elmbow
03-28-2003, 07:12 PM
Randall #8-4 carbon blade and Outdoor edge 6" KodiSaw with a leather sheath. Good combination for survival/hunting. Not the lightest but then I wear wool too. IMHO you'll look far and wide to match the hand forged quality of a Randall at the price they go for.

bob@helleknife.com
03-28-2003, 07:57 PM
Lots of good knives out there.

If you want to look at something specifically designed for hunters try http://www.helleknife.com

Not well known in the states, made in Norway, laminated steel blades, easy to sharpen without gizmos or gadgets. And very affordable.

Also some information on goat packing!!

bob@helleknife.com

Sgathak
03-28-2003, 08:12 PM
Ahh goat packing...

Ive been wanting to do that for years. (I just dog pack at the moment)

What breeds have you found work the best for packing? IVe been doing some research and think that a Kiko/Boer/Spanish cross (in any combination) would probably do a really fine job... Im just worried about spending the time effort and money to end up with Goats that rival Nubians for being lazy slackers. I figure meat goats will develop bone and musculature that work well for packing uses, and wont have the same problems on the trail as dairy breeds are known for. Especially in Arid/Desert environments (Cholla on the udder... ouch!)

And more on subject... Ive always liked Puukko type knives. One of my favorites is a himalayan version made by Kamis (knife makers) in Nepal.

bob@helleknife.com
03-30-2003, 10:23 AM
Sgathak,

Most breeds will work out "ok". I tend to prefer hybrids for increased vigor. Some guys are cross breeding Boers with longer legged breeds to try and take advantage of what each has to offer. I tend to like Alpines/Sannens.

Best to buy from a breeder that specializes in packgoats; dairy folks look for much different characteristics.

Pukko-styled knives have been around forever simple, efficient, clean lines and elegant in their own right.

Good luck on your goat packing.

bob@helleknife.com

Patrick
03-30-2003, 11:38 AM
Bob--

We had quite a discussion about pack goats in the very early days of this Board--that thread should still be in the archived portions, in fact. I don't remember whether I asked then or not, but where does one "park" his pack goats if he doesn't possess "acreage"? And is there a need to visit them often?

We have some llama outfitters using our tipis, and so we have a dialogue going with them. They report their hunters enjoy being able to put their camp gear on the llamas and walk along, as compared to riding a horse. Being an infrequent rider I understand that perfectly. Seems I remember that goats, unlike llamas, don't need to be led on a line--they just follow along. Right? I am by no means too old, yet, to be incapable of carrying a large pack wherever I wish to go, but time marches on. So. When I'm a real codger, instead of just a geezer, I may get real serious about some "help" out there. Just thinking ahead, ya know?

Jan
03-31-2003, 06:15 AM
Hi,
on the topic of knives: I am a strong believer in anything put out by Busse Combat. A knife specifically geared towards hunters would be the Groovemaster. Many holding positions, the best steel (INFI), absolutely indestructible. Check it out at the following links:

http://www.bussecombat.com/cgi-bin/hazel...oovemaster.html (http://www.bussecombat.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?client=14114555&action=serve&item=groove master.html)

http://homepage.mac.com/zombiekiller/badmojo/gm.html

Oz
04-03-2003, 12:44 AM
Geez, This topic is like which grains of sand do you like best. From this semi worn out Alaskan, I tend to go compact and light for most of my work. Gerber used to make a fantastic blade in the Trout & Bird, still have one, best caper I've used. I love D.H. Russells thumbbolt sheathed Trout & Bird as well, light, flexible, safe and sharpenable. Thats two. Mainline heavy work falls to a CRKT rubber handled drop point thats pretty beefy. Alltime without a doubt favorite for the skinning category is my ULU, made from a crosscut handsaw blade and a hunk of moose antler. We had a small unofficial test last moose season on skinning a nice bull (56") and it was no contest. Ulu skins faster than two guys with good knives combined. There's a few more but these are the main ones. All for now, Oz

bob@helleknife.com
04-06-2003, 01:37 PM
Patrick,

You are right, the main advantage of goats is that they don't require a lead. They just follow along.

And they will never roll on your rifle!! Or try to rub you off on a corner post. I only use horseflesh under the most urgent of circumstances.

I make up fleece panniers so they don't make that squeaky "branch rubbing on Cordura, here comes a hunter" sound.

As a friend of mine once noted...camp just follows along...which is about perfect for real backcountry hunting.

All packstock is somewhat of a pain to own and to care for but I think goats are the best of the lot. True you need about 5 goats to pack out a bull along with your camp but you can do it in two trips with two goats. Not so bad. The younger guys in this crowd may carry 80-100 lbs but those days are way in my past. Nowdays I just carry 12 lbs and delegate the rest to the goats.

I suppose you could board them out, never really thought about it as I have the room and it only takes a couple of minutes a day to do the chores.

They have 8 power vision and are great game spotters. After several days on the trail you can watch them almost revert to a wild critter status...going ferral as you watch. They are still bonded to you and won't go anywhere but you can sure see the change in them.

And they are just plain fun to be with!! Lots of personality and are very likeable creatures.

bob@helleknife.com

04-07-2003, 09:28 PM
Own and use a Cold Steel Master Hunter, own and used many Bucks, Kershaws and Gerbers. I think the best knife I have is made by Bob Dozier. I bought it through A G Russell. It will easily handle an elk and a buck. It's advertised to be good for 8 to 10 animals. It lasts me a season without sharpening, so I don't need to carry stones or steels.

Dennis in VA
04-08-2003, 12:40 AM
7mmSTW, can you give a specific model on that Bob Dozier knife as there are many to choose from. I currently use a Cold Steel Pendleton Hunter for my main field dressing and meat cutting knife and I keep a Pendleton Mini Hunter for a back up and smaller chore knife.I really like the rubber grips on these knives but the sheaths are not as rugged as they should be(rivet bolts pop out of holes on sheath and cause the knife/sheath to fall off of belt, I fixed the problem with a little 550 cord). I use a Gatco sharpener to put on the edge and I can get it scalpel sharp. I dressed and quartered two Caribou and done the final cutting and trimming at camp with the Pendleton Hunter and the edge was still going strong without any touching up. Just my two cents worth.

04-08-2003, 07:07 PM
I have the Yukon Skinner. There is also a Master Skinner that has more belly than the Yukon. For skinning only the Master Skinner would be better. The Yukon does a good job of field dressing and skinning. I used to carry two knives all plus stones and or a steel. Now I take the Yukon and leave everything else at home.

VernAK
04-09-2003, 06:30 AM
I would echo the comments of 7MMSTW regarding the Dozier knives....I carry the slim outdoorsman.....no additional knives or sharpening devices.....check Dozier's site for the various models....the D2 steel holds an edge like no other knife I have owned.

Jim T
05-17-2003, 03:41 PM
I carry the Cold Steel Master Hunter. Great knife. Sturdy enough to open a 55 gallon drum. Holds an edge well, except when you accidently whack the blade on a beach rock while skinning a black bear. Still finished the job.

Oz, Cold Steel makes the Trout & Bird. I'm going to get one for the detail work.

Jim