PDA

View Full Version : What are KU bags pouches made of?

simko
03-11-2011, 01:46 PM
I hope its OK to ask this question, just wondering what the generic fabric name is....

my reason: I want to get some light, but very strong, to sew a couple pouches and try a few projects, I believe that if its good enough for Kifaru standards, its surely good enough for mine.

I hope this isn't seen as "how can i undercut kifaru" or anything like that.

Aaron

Take-a-knee
03-11-2011, 06:21 PM
Patrick says paraglider fabric, whatever that is, he says emphatically that it is not silnylon, and evidence from the field proves it is much more durable than sil.

simko
03-11-2011, 07:57 PM
Is silnylon another term for ripstop nylon?

Big W
03-11-2011, 08:02 PM
No, its not silnylon, paraglider fabric or ripstop nylon. The secret is that it is made out of recycled plastic grocery bags;). Go green!

evanhill
03-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Silnylon is silicone impregnated nylon. I don't believe I've ever seen any that wasn't ripstop, but there are plenty of ripstop nylons that are not silicone impregnated and therefore not silnylon. I've never compared paraglider fabric specs to silnylon specs. That would be interesting.

Jimbob
03-12-2011, 03:15 PM
Kifaru uses " 2 layers of ultra high tenacity mil spec american made nylon" for all the KU packs and accessories. It is the same material used in the shelters (the shelters use only one layer)

Patrick does not call this material silnylon even though it is nylon impregnated with silicone. I guess not all silnylon is created equally.

I just made a small pod out of 30d silnylon today. It is a touch bigger then the KU pod and weighs 3.45 ozs with all hardware needed for attaching to my spike camp. Also I used a single layer.

I will be making a top pocket/lid for the pack and grab it in the future.