PDA

View Full Version : Buggered

Yukon Hunter
03-22-2003, 07:03 PM
Just curious-
Any way to keep the gazillion black flies, no-see-ums and mosquitoes up here out of a tipi?
Thanks

Patrick
03-23-2003, 06:38 AM
Yukon--

The mosquito netting works 'til you go outside--then they swarm in. So, burn a bug coil periodically--it keeps 'em out for hours.

Patrick

Yukon Hunter
03-23-2003, 07:17 AM
Patrick-
Thanks for the reply. Sorry to take you away from all that good, fitness-enhancing shovelling, but one more...don't the little suckers get in underneath the tent, as well as around the stove-pipe hole? Thanks.
Cam

Patrick
03-23-2003, 01:59 PM
Yukon--

If I never shovel another morsel of snow I'll be a happy man. Not likely to happen tho!

My research shows that 'skeeters fly wherever they go--which means they won't hike in under the tipi. Besides, a properly pitched tipi will be against the ground at it's bottom hem. As for around the stovepipe--no, the pipe will be filling the hole and blocking entry. The really serious problem is that you'll be a prisoner in the tent; whenever you go out--to fetch firewood, answer the call of nature, go hunting--the little monsters fly in en mass. That's why the smoke coils are so valuable. And they weigh nothing. Take 'em! They're the best protection in any sort of tent.