PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Caribou and the tipee

SHOWMEJOE
03-22-2003, 06:36 AM
Board,
I have read everything ( I think ) there is on this board and would like to ask a few of the knowledgable "memebers" a couple more.
Has anyone used the tipees in Alaska during Sept? I have planned a flyin drop hunt for caribou Sept6 in Unit 19 and have some concerns regarding the wind I've heard sooo much about. Also what is the chance of using a stove, I've read normally not much to burn in caribou country.

As everyone has guessed, it will be my first trip to Alaska and want to ensure the tipee is the right decision vs. a Cableas alaskan tent. I love the idea of haing a "home" not a shelter but also are concerned on the condesation factor. Sorry for the rambling just so many questions...where do you load into a pack and also how long does it take to erect tipee and stove. This will become my elk hunting unit also.

Thanks again for any help!

VernAK
03-22-2003, 08:22 AM
Joe,

The Kifaru Tipi will work just fine for your purpose and will withstand the winds of GMU 19.
You will not find pine knots and oak firewood but dead willow brush can usually be gathered in large armfuls.....the willow burns fast but will warm your Tipi nicely....it will not provide those all night embers but will feel very cozy during some of that bad weather....a few hours of fire will usually dry the ground enough to reduce the amount of condensation but a quick fire now and then will keep things dry...

Have a good hunt....Vern

SHOWMEJOE
03-22-2003, 08:35 AM
Vern,
Thanks for the reply, I hope you don't mind acouple of questions. How will the tipee hold up to the wind? I plan on packing a OR bivy bag for sleeping inside the tent for bug protection and to pac while hunting. I will have one partner on this hunt and are limiteds to 90# per person so I am leaning towards the 4 man or would 8 man be better?

Joe

SHOWMEJOE
03-22-2003, 08:36 AM
Vern
Excuse my ineptness...you answered my question on wind. Sorry about that!

Joe M
03-22-2003, 02:40 PM
The tipi works well for the type of hunt you are planning. It sets up fast ( 10-15 mins.) and comes down and packs even faster. Packs well into bush planes, since it doesn't have to be all together. Get the SST pins! You may need (and I really mean need) them. My opininion is to get the larger one. You probably won't be carrying the tipi far. The larger is really nice when you are weathered in for several days. Our weather can beat any equipment ever made, so buy and bring the best!

SHOWMEJOE
03-22-2003, 02:57 PM
Joe M,
Thanks for the reply. What's your thoughts on the liner...I live in Missouri and alomost have to have one due to humidity..so I expect to need it in Alaska.Also would you plan to cook off the stove or bring a single burner? I am leaning towards the 8 man for this trip/family trips however probably go with four man due ot mostly hunting out West by msyself and 4man would be moe manageable. I plan o sleep inside a OR bivy bag to control insect problem while sleeping in the tipee also will be brought with while hunting.

By any chance have you hunted around the Halfway mountain area? Just looking for tips, if so would you recommend buying a moose&black bear license? I have heard they are possible.

Thanks again

Joe M
03-23-2003, 09:32 AM
I like the liner. In a constant rain the humidity forms on the walls. Then the wind shakes the fabric and you get hit with drops. In really nasty weather it will still happen because the liner dosn't go all the way to the top. You learn to sleep with your head to the sides of the tipi in these conditions. Bugs are really a function of how often you open the tipi door. If you have 3 people with weak bladders you may have trouble. I use those insect lamps. They are candles with a cartridge that you put above the flame. Tipi living is the exact opposite of bivy sac living. Leave the bivy sac at home and get a bigger tipi!

Joe M
03-23-2003, 09:35 AM
I almost forgot, in the halfway mountain area a wolf tag may be more valuable than a moose tag. Bears are everywhere these days.